NYC girl denied waitress job because she's "too ghetto." Vol. "You don't speak white."

By LAURA ITALIANO
Melody Morales
Melody Morales

Last updated: 6:18 pm
January 27, 2009
Posted: 4:02 pm
January 27, 2009

She had everything a bikini-themed restaurant could want - waitressing experience, ample motivation, and a more than ample bra size of 34-D.

But pretty Melody Morales says she was still rejected for a job at Times Square's Hawaiian Tropic Zone - because she "talks ghetto."

"We will not hire you because you have a 'speech problem,'" a Hawaiian Tropic Zone manager told Morales, according to her million-dollar Manhattan Supreme Court discrimination lawsuit. "You have a Latin accent. You don't speak white."

Morales countered: "I'm five-foot-six. I'm slim and slender. I got boobs. Ok? I was perfect for the job."

The restaurant is already reeling from a $600 million federal lawsuit from October, in which four waitresses say managers looked the other way while a general manager repeatedly sexually harassed and assaulted them.

Morales' complaint, though, is that she couldn't get in on the fun at the swanky tourist trap - or the $500-a-day earnings.

Discrimination was the sole reason for not getting the job, said Morales, a 21-year-old Upper West Sider whose father is Puerto Rican and mother is Dominican.

On repeated trips to the restaurant, waitresses would tell her they were hiring, she said. But managers would always tell her there were no openings.

Finally, in a June phone call overheard by her mother, managers named "Rick" and "Frank" spilled the truth, the lawsuit alleges.

"You are ghetto," "Frank" allegedly told her.

Morales concedes she has a Latin accent. But as a U.S. citizen - New York-born and raised - she said her English is fine.

Besides, it had been her dream, she said, to carry plates of the restaurant's signature crispy chicken lollipops and hung beef while wearing a fuschia bikini and a sarong.

At her previous job, at the Hooters in Midtown, she wore shorts and a tank top, she said. She felt overdressed.

"I just love the idea of working in a bikini," said Morales, who said she is now reduced to working in a bikini bar in upstate Ossining.

"It was my dream job."

Morales' lawyer, Derek Smith, said she's seeking $500 a day - or $130,000 a year - for every year she could reasonably be expected to have worked there, plus punitive damages that could potentially total over a million dollars.

"It's their arrogance that gets you," said Smith. "They told her, 'Go ahead, sue. We've got the best lawyers in the world."

Hawaiian Tropic Zone lawyer James Rosenzweig said this in response:

"We are proud of the many Latino and Latina employees in our diverse workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and find this claim to be without merit."
morales0127.jpg

laugh.gif
at some of her comments.

[h1]Former Hooters girl Melody Morales sues Hawaiian Tropic Zone for discrimination[/h1]
BY JOSE MARTINEZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, January 27th 2009, 7:53 PM

A FORMER Hooters girl who says she's got the right assets - but the wrong accent - is suing the Hawaiian Tropic Zone for crushing her dream of working as one of its bikini-clad beauties.

Melody Morales said she was rejected for a job by a manager at the Times Square restaurant who griped, "You don't speak white" and "you are ghetto."

The 21-year-old Latina lovely is the latest woman to sue over working conditions at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone, where employees in skimpy beachwear parade nightly before diners.

"Not to brag, but I look good in a bikini," Morales said yesterday. "I could have done a perfect job there."

The suit says Morales went with her mother to the restaurant last March in search of a job. It claims a manager told her to get lost, saying, "I am not going to ruin my business with your Latin accent."

Morales, who said her dream job is to pour drinks while strutting her stuff in a bikini, returned to the Hawaiian Tropic Zone months later still in pursuit of a position.

Her suits says another manager instantly rejected her, telling her, "We will not hire you because you have a speech problem," and "You have a Latin accent."

"It is 100% illegal to discriminate because of where you're from or because you have an accent," said her lawyer, Derek Smith. "Melody certainly has the assets for this job."

Morales, who sports an ample 34-D cup size, said she was appalled.

"They never even looked at me in a bikini," she whimpered.

A lawyer for the Riese Organization, which operates the Hawaiian Tropic Zone, said the suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, is "without merit."

"We are proud of the many Latino and Latina employees in our diverse workforce," said James Rosenzweig.

The restaurant that bills itself as "The Hottest Place on Earth" is facing a $600 million federal suit from four former female workers accusing an ex-boss of sickening sexual antics.

"I believe everything they're saying," Morales said.

Morales, who is of mixed Dominican and Puerto Rican background, works at a bikini bar in Westchester County.

"It was kind of like my dream to work at the [Hawaiian Tropic Zone]," she said. "It's the bikini, I guess."

The restaurant is spread across three floors and 16,000 square feet. It features a two-story waterfall, a setting that "tantalizes the senses" and menu items such as hung barbecue ribs and crispy chicken lollipops.

On its Web site, the restaurant features pictures of several of its sexy staff, which include a go-go dancer from Russia, a hostess from Nigeria and a bartender from Puerto Rico.

But Morales said the place has no room for someone with her accent.

"I guess they want their girls to speak white," she said.

jmartinez@
edit.nydailynews.com

laugh.gif
found a slightly different article on the daily news.
eek.gif
roll.gif
@ her reasoning behind why it's her dream job: ""It's thebikini, I guess."

Besides, it had been her dream, she said, to carry plates of the restaurant's signature crispy chicken lollipops and hung beef while wearing a fuschia bikini and a sarong.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ew at her
alien.gif
-lookin' face.

And, as much as it sucks to say, that's the problem with being an 'at-will' employee.

You can get fired, or not hired, for pretty much any reason, including if the employer doesn't like the way that you talk.

Shouldn't have called her 'ghetto' though (if the allegation is true).

I don't blame them though. If I had a place of business I wouldn't want anyone who can't speak properly working for me. They foul for telling herthe real reason she didn't get the job though.

Besides, it had been her dream, she said, to carry plates of the restaurant's signature crispy chicken lollipops and hung beef while wearing a fuschiabikini and a sarong.

roll.gif

umm..whoever said to her that she's too ghetto is an idiot, i completey understand tho..as a nyc resident myself i wont date chicks that talk ghetto.. Sureher english can be fine but it probably isnt very proper..something you probably would need in order to communicate with tourists , cant be going around sayingWHAT YALL TRYNA EAT TODAY YA DIGGGGG?

They allowed to hire whoever the hell they wanna hire..whats the big deal..the managers shoulda just kept their mouths shut. this chick is out to make an easybuck just like everybody else. even if she wins that 130,000 she gotta pay her lawyers and be taxed, mehh..whatever.

Damn......her dream was that? That's not that much of a good look IMO, but hey, if it makes her happy. But those managers/employers are corny as hell forthat, I hope they lose the hell out of that suit.

Also, she's cute and I wouldn't have a problem with her at all. I coulda swore cute girls always had a higher chance of gettin' hired, butwhatever.

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

roll.gif
roll.gif

as soon as i read that ...
smh.gif
... stop it ... people need better dreams ... c'mon now

she loss any credibility w/ that

but she is
pimp.gif

I don't blame them though. If I had a place of business I wouldn't want anyone who can't speak properly working for me. They foul for telling her the real reason she didn't get the job though.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

roll.gif
roll.gif
as soon as i read that ...
smh.gif
... stop it ... people need better dreams ... c'mon now

she loss any credibility w/ that

but she is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 0 Xm 0

umm..whoever said to her that she's too ghetto is an idiot, i completey understand tho..as a nyc resident myself i wont date chicks that talk ghetto.. Sure her english can be fine but it probably isnt very proper..something you probably would need in order to communicate with tourists , cant be going around saying WHAT YALL TRYNA EAT TODAY YA DIGGGGG?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
funny thing is that i've heard waitresses speak to customers like that before, ie. the applebees on flatbush avenue
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I don't blame them though. If I had a place of business I wouldn't want anyone who can't speak properly working for me. They foul for telling her the real reason she didn't get the job though.
QFT...not if she had to interact with a lot of people, anyway. i don't care where a person is trying to get a job, or what they're tryingto do, they should at least try to sound professional. they're wrong for saying she's "too ghetto" though.

oh and...
laugh.gif
at this being her dream job...

Back
Top Bottom