NYC Hot Dog Vendors = Baller Status?

Last updated: 2:11 am
January 7, 2009
Posted: 1:36 am
January 7, 2009

Even in the wacky world of Big Apple real estate, this is a tale for the ages: a hot-dog vendor has agreed to pay the city $81,701 more a year to peddle franks on the north side of the Metropolitan Museum of Art entrance than on the south side 100 feet away.

In what may be the epitome of the location-is-everything maxim, the Parks Department has auctioned off the food-vending rights to the north-side entrance of the museum on Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street for $362,201 and the south-side entrance for $280,500, both to first-time vendor Pasang Sherpa.

The rents increase over the five-year term of the contract, to $384,371 and $297,669, respectively.

"That [north] side is more busy," explained Sherpa. Many museum visitors use the nearby 86th Street/Lexington Avenue subway express stop to the north.

"It's just the flow of traffic," agreed competitor Dan Rossi, who set up shop without permission and isn't paying the city a cent, citing a regulation that lets veterans like himself bypass the bidding process.

Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe said all bidders were made aware they wouldn't be getting an exclusive franchise, and added the lofty results were a "pleasant surprise."

Sherpa, 50, who used to sell jewelry on Canal Street, outbid the New York One hot-dog company by a total of $65,000 a year, as well as a third bidder.

With more than 5 million visitors a year, the Met is a hot-dog seller's paradise since the nearest eateries are blocks away.

The location has also become a cash cow for the Parks Department, which has been able to increase vending rents steadily on what might be the most expensive retail space per square foot in the country.

But Sherpa's now got a big beef with the city. The Health Department hasn't certified one of his two carts, and the lucrative north entrance to the museum has been blocked by construction that began in October and is scheduled to end in May.

"I don't want to pay them now," said Sherpa, speaking to a reporter from his south-side cart where he'll have to sell a lot of $2 wieners to meet the sky-high rent bills.

Parks officials said they're trying to be accommodating and pointed out that Sherpa - who hails from Nepal - had six months to get the required permits.

david.seifman@nypost.com

i know a lot of these food cart vendors make pretty decent money. the one guy near my office sells donuts and other breakfast foods, and tows in his cartusing his tricked out escalade.
laugh.gif

but some of these rent contracts are roughly the cost of a decent sized house in many parts of this country
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I figured these dudes were making good money...I didnt know it was like this though

Like the burrito trucks when I was in college. I think my roommate and I single handedly kept a few in business. One upgraded his RV and spot with new rims andtables.

Hell yea they sould when they charging $3 a hot dog... I could by 3 of them when Im around town...

Originally Posted by Shapeshiftah

i know a lot of these food cart vendors make pretty decent money. the one guy near my office sells donuts and other breakfast foods, and tows in his cart using his tricked out escalade.
laugh.gif

but some of these rent contracts are roughly the cost of a decent sized house in many parts of this country
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I pictured that in my head and could not stop
laugh.gif

I've ALWAYS said that hot dog vendors have to make a killing. you can get all of the fixings for a good hot dog for around $5 and sell them for up to $4.there are usually 10 in a pack so you've just made $40 from $5. Son has probably been usin that process for years.

just reading all that makes me want a hot dog now.

Location for these types of business is SERIOUSSSSSS, I've seen the Good Humor man fistfight the Mister Softee guy outside my old high school because oneinfringed on the others territory.

The gryo carts around NYC make A LOT more. My dads friend owns a grip of 'em around Manhattan and dude is OD baller. His son was actually on the newsrecently for a hit and run that killed a woman in his range rover
smh.gif

Only problem is it takes forever to get a permit. My dad applied for one in '04, and nothing yet...

Don't eat from carts anymore...after seeing a roach on one of the donuts in the cart and how filthy one of the garages where they house their cartsovernight was, I refuse to eat from them...
sick.gif

I read in a special annual salary survey mag, New Yorker maybe?, that the average hot dog vendor makes 35k. not bad for slangin' dogs I guess.

<>

I read in a special annual salary survey mag, New Yorker maybe?, that the average hot dog vendor makes 35k. not bad for slangin' dogs I guess.

<>

<>

<>

I think about this everytime I get a hotdog
laugh.gif

Start-up costs...BBQ, City Permit

Other costs...propane, condiments, bread, pickles, onions, etc.

Hot dogs cost like $0.25 each if you buy them in bulk. Soft drinks cost even less than that if bought in bulk. You then sell the hot dogs for $3 each and thesoft drinks for $1 each. Multiply that by 200-300 in a day and 6-7 days a week and life is pretty good.

35k for slanging dogs seems low unless its per cart and they have multiple carts making 35 per cart. They gotta be working over 8 hours a day..

Back
Top Bottom