NYC NTers come inside... Vol. How does a hipster afford to live in NYC?!?

I ask myself this every time I'm in Williamsburg, I see them coming out of condos that cost $2500 a month in rent.

Parental subsidies keep these people afloat

when the money runs out, they scatter back home like roaches

Its the same way all over in San Francisco.

Its crazy. They move in, ruin the neighborhood then leave.

Wow I was just in NYC and I was thinking the same thing went to Harlem to see the Apollo and saw all the projects and stuff.. But I still can't seem to understand how ppl can afford to live there ... It's too crowded and too fast pace.. Driving my rental car in NYC was rediculous .. Parking the car was way too expensive $45 for a couple of hours... I did love NYC but I just can't seem to understand how ppl live there

Wow I was just in NYC and I was thinking the same thing went to Harlem to see the Apollo and saw all the projects and stuff.. But I still can't seem to understand how ppl can afford to live there ... It's too crowded and too fast pace.. Driving my rental car in NYC was rediculous .. Parking the car was way too expensive $45 for a couple of hours... I did love NYC but I just can't seem to understand how ppl live there

You've gotta go to the lowkey spots for parking. Paid $20 for 4 hours split between 4 of us :smokin

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Really? I could have sworn these types invaded Harlem first.

Soho, Williamsburg, & green point BK are where

Da yuppies struck first...Harlem still got its character

For da most part... Till Colombia university expands

On Manhattanville on da west side...

Last edited:
It was too much of a headache driving around trying to find parking ... Couldn't find no cheap parking no where .. Every time I parked I was spending money.. And then there are tolls everywhere and so expensive to cross the bridge thru holland tunnel the tool was over $20 :smh::smh:

One can make decent money in hospitality jobs such as waiter/waitress positions, hosts, concierge, hell even baristas make decent money. Put your check to bills and use your tip money for leisure. My ex would have $300 from tips alone for only one week at work and this was at Starbucks.

Rich parents and they usually move away by the time they hit 30

Why are you driving during the day in Manhattan? Just take the train instead

I went to a club in Green Point, only to find my self on a rooftop surrounded by "models" and "artists" doing Molly and coke out in the open.. Not a single person I met was from the city.

I don't have a problem with hipsters, artsy type hippies, or gentrification, places like Detroit need it.

I'ved lived in Greenpoint (sister neighborhood to Williamsburg - sometimes known as Greenpoint-Williamsburg) for my entire life.

Still live my parents

I'm 25. I'm currently work in the corporate world - Graduated from college - basically a normal guy.

But I still live with my parents. Their great. I still go out. Play sports. Bars. Work. Studying for grad school. etc. Again - just a normal guy.

I still live with my parents.

I'm not a photographer. I don't ride a bicycle. I don't have a mini-puppy-dog that I don't clean up after. I don't sell art and I don't wear vintage clothing. I don't claim to be "misunderstood" and I don't wear 1950s Beposked suits.

I'm probably the furthest thing from hipster cool - Basically I feel I'm just a normal guy - try to work hard and maybe one day start my own family.

BUT I STILL LIVE WITH MY PARENTS! WHY?

Cause Rent is SOOOOOOO HIGH!!! |I:frown::smh:

I hate to say it but I see some of these hipsters (who don't ever seem to work, seem to be really happy sitting in starbucks all day, stay out 2am etc.)

And I feel really bad about myself. How do they afford it out there in my borough I was raised in? Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry - Just felt upset. I shouldve blogged this. (I don't have a blog - Hipsters have blogs. Should I get a blog then? Will that help me afford NYC?)

|I

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Really? I could have sworn these types invaded Harlem first.

Soho, Williamsburg, & green point BK are where

Da yuppies struck first...Harlem still got its character

For da most part... Till Colombia university expands

On Manhattanville on da west side...

That sir is incorrect. I worked in Harlem in 2007 and how it looks like in Brooklyn now, it looked like then in Harlem and at that point it had well begun. Harlem got hit first, then they migrated to Brooklyn. The area in Brooklyn live in now didn't look like this six years ago.

bkzkurse has a point, these mofos don't EVER go to work, yet they be chillin'. Something's up.

I'ved lived in Greenpoint (sister neighborhood to Williamsburg - sometimes known as Greenpoint-Williamsburg) for my entire life.

Still live my parents

I'm 25. I'm currently work in the corporate world - Graduated from college - basically a normal guy.

But I still live with my parents. Their great. I still go out. Play sports. Bars. Work. Studying for grad school. etc. Again - just a normal guy.

I still live with my parents.

I'm not a photographer. I don't ride a bicycle. I don't have a mini-puppy-dog that I don't clean up after. I don't sell art and I don't wear vintage clothing. I don't claim to be "misunderstood" and I don't wear 1950s Beposked suits.

I'm probably the furthest thing from hipster cool - Basically I feel I'm just a normal guy - try to work hard and maybe one day start my own family.

BUT I STILL LIVE WITH MY PARENTS! WHY?

Cause Rent is SOOOOOOO HIGH!!! |I:frown::smh:

I hate to say it but I see some of these hipsters (who don't ever seem to work, seem to be really happy sitting in starbucks all day, stay out 2am etc.)

And I feel really bad about myself. How do they afford it out there in my borough I was raised in? Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry - Just felt upset. I shouldve blogged this. (I don't have a blog - Hipsters have blogs. Should I get a blog then? Will that help me afford NYC?)

|I

Dont blame hipsters. If youre in the corporate world, you can DEFINITELY live on your own. Don't be mad at hipsters because you want to stay at home with your parents :rolleyes

when you're in harlem out and about it still has its character, especially 125th street..you can't say that about williamsburg, and green point.

Welp, I pretty much know squat about NYC, but I'm going to be living in Morningside Heights this coming fall. But I was looking at places, and saw anywhere from 900 to 1,300. Didn't think it was too bad. I would have roommates tho. I wouldn't trip off of that tho.

I'm Mexican, and not a hipster if it matters. :lol:

Last edited:
when you're in harlem out and about it still has its character, especially 125th street..you can't say that about williamsburg, and green point.

125th will always be 125th but its nowhere near what it used to be, at least in my opinion.

As a born and raised NYer, 2 things I'll never do is pay a boatload of money for an overpriced shoebox in manhattan or raise a family in manhattan. Saving that money for a house in queens, SI, LI, or jersey

Like people stated before, most of them are from well off families that support their lifestyle.

They are slowly spreading deeper into BK, at least from what I've seen. I'm seeing more white people on Flatbush and the surrounding areas than ever before. Got them getting off around the Grand Concourse on the 2/5 also up in the BX.

OP, let me explain:

Kids from well-off families come from out of state to attend expensive private universities in the city (eg NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Juilliard, St. Johns, etc)
+
After graduating from college they want to live the "hipster lifestyle" in Brooklyn among their fellow caucasian 20-somethings
+
Unfortunately, their liberal arts education failed to provide them with a high-paying job and working at a vegan sandwich shop or an art studio can't quite pay the bills
+
However their parents, who just doled out 40k/year for them to attend college, obviously have no problem continuing to support them financially

= Hipster

Trust me, I know literally dozens of people who have that exact same story.

Back
Top Bottom