NYC NTers come inside... Vol. How does a hipster afford to live in NYC?!?

I went to a club in Green Point, only to find my self on a rooftop surrounded by "models" and "artists" doing Molly and coke out in the open.. Not a single person I met was from the city.

I don't have a problem with hipsters, artsy type hippies, or gentrification, places like Detroit need it.
racist

OP, let me explain:

Kids from well-off families come from out of state to attend expensive private universities in the city (eg NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Juilliard, St. Johns, etc)
+
After graduating from college they want to live the "hipster lifestyle" in Brooklyn among their fellow caucasian 20-somethings
+
Unfortunately, their liberal arts education failed to provide them with a high-paying job and working at a vegan sandwich shop or an art studio can't quite pay the bills
+
However their parents, who just doled out 40k/year for them to attend college, obviously have no problem continuing to support them financially

= Hipster

Trust me, I know literally dozens of people who have that exact same story.

This or they save up to fulfill their dream of living in NY. So they move and live for a few years until the accounts are depleted and go back. Few manage to find something and stay.

When your from here you know where to stay for cheap, as far as these hipsters go "roommates".... spending $2300 between 3 people each staying in the tiniest of rooms its redic but to each there own. I much rather spend less and be farther from the city than try to be cool telling my friends I live in Willy B etc.. I like my space

It was too much of a headache driving around trying to find parking ... Couldn't find no cheap parking no where .. Every time I parked I was spending money.. And then there are tolls everywhere and so expensive to cross the bridge thru holland tunnel the tool was over $20 :smh::smh:

Why did you do the subway? I paid $30 and was all over the city.

NYC hipsters aint no different that cali hipsters. They are roommate deep. When I was stationed in Cali 6 girls would share the same ford fiesta and live in a really nice studio. This was before the fixed gear.

Last edited:
NYC hipsters aint no different that cali hipsters. They are roommate deep. When I was stationed in Cali 6 girls would share the same ford fiesta and live in a really nice studio. This was before the fixed gear.

6 hipster girls eh :evil:

6 hipster girls eh :evil:

This was early 2000's before "hipsters" caught on. We just saw them as broke ditches. Only time they ate was when they went on dates, so they kept dates. They all slept on the floor and had no tv and if they did have one it usually had knobs. Fridge would only have limes in it and maybe milk. Only food was the 6 different types of cereals they each liked. They all worked but it was usually retail.

Last edited:
Never been to ny. I live in the south in a nice apartment complex and my rent is 550, with water/trash included. After reading this thread, I feel a lot more appreciative about that price.

When your from here you know where to stay for cheap, as far as these hipsters go "roommates".... spending $2300 between 3 people each staying in the tiniest of rooms its redic but to each there own. I much rather spend less and be farther from the city than try to be cool telling my friends I live in Willy B etc.. I like my space
I have to disagree with this. It's not that they don't know about cheaper surrounding areas, it's that they want to live in those expensive areas.

1. They start blogs
2. They are sponsored by PBR
3. They wear hand-me-downs
4. They don't buy cigarettes because that is stupid. They roll their own cigarettes. Now, that's the hipster spirit.

Why the hell would anyone drive around NYC? Foolish

I'm from NJ but there are hipsters here too. Theyre in the Hoboken area but rent may be cheaper.

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Why the hell would a tourist want to go to the heights?

C'mon now.

Plus those yuppies improved where they moved in.

And btw I have lived in Manhattan all my life. Im not some ******* who stuck around here after college. lol

Why the hell would anyone drive around NYC? Foolish

I'm from NJ but there are hipsters here too. Theyre in the Hoboken area but rent may be cheaper.

I drive here because I hate the MTA. lol

Just signed at StuyTown for school to get my networking game going, but looking to downscale the year if I can't get a job as quickly.... lol

I went to a club in Green Point, only to find my self on a rooftop surrounded by "models" and "artists" doing Molly and coke out in the open.. Not a single person I met was from the city.

I don't have a problem with hipsters, artsy type hippies, or gentrification, places like Detroit need it.
racist
Slow your role silly goose, I'm from the D.

If they got an IT or Computer Science degree, they're working from the macbook... in Starbucks... on free wifi.
Only regret in life. why the eff didn't i choose programming as a career?

The last thread about NYC rooms gave me a perspective of where to look after my first year and what to consider.

I find that hipster/after college thing relatively true.

But has anyone done well enough to network with these people if they come from wealthy backgrounds?

If they got an IT or Computer Science degree, they're working from the macbook... in Starbucks... on free wifi.

Never too late bro, check out Treehouse!

chances are if they are using a mac they are one of the millions of start up App companies trying to cash in on the App development craze.

I think this thread needs some Nomad...
laugh.gif

Plus those yuppies improved where they moved in.
At what cost? We're being pushed out of the same neighborhoods that we were forced to live in. Unlike these yuppies who can go into any neighborhood as they please, someone of color can't go to Bensonhurst, Howard Beach or a Bay Ridge.

If you don't have the money to ball and wanna live in NY, just move to Queens. Stay 5-15 minutes outside of Williamsburg, 25-35 (train rides are obviously a little longer but worth it over driving) from the city, and you could get a nice little apartment for 500+ with a roommate (expect to pay 500 each at least). Friend of mine lives in LIC and she pays like 2 grand a month in rent, absurd. Her place is right off the water and has a tremendous view though.

Rell, Im white and I don't wanna go to Howard Beach. Place just sucks balls and I've got homies that live there. Annoying to drive there too, dealing with that Crossbay traffic.

Btw, where do the poor people go after they get kicked out by hipsters?

Last edited:
laugh.gif
I didn't mean it as an ideal place to live. I'll take your word for it that it sucks. Was just trying to throw an example of how the hipster/gentrification thing looks to someone like me.

As far as the displaced go, there's no census data to prove it, but they are moving down South and into poverty stricken neighborhoods like Brownsville and ENY.
what about Brighton Beach? 
nerd.gif

is that a bad spot?
As far as what? Personally its not an ideal place to live because of how far removed it is. Yes, you can hop on the train, but that is easily one of the longer train rides I've been on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom