NYC NTers come inside... Vol. How does a hipster afford to live in NYC?!?

:lol: I didn't mean it as an ideal place to live. I'll take your word for it that it sucks. Was just trying to throw an example of how the hipster/gentrification thing looks to someone like me.

As far as the displaced go, there's no census data to prove it, but they are moving down South and into poverty stricken neighborhoods like Brownsville and ENY.
HB's not as bad as it was when Gotti lived there and the years that followed, but yeah, still not ideal for minorities. The one thing I love about that place, people will be like oh yeah I hate blacks, then jump in their ****** old suped up Sentra or Civic and blast Uncle Murda while rocking Jays and Sean John. Lotta entitled morons that live there, thankfully hte friends I have there are transplants or the closest thing to normal.

Gentrification is kinda sad, like I get it, but yeah that's rough being forced out of the neighborhood you were forced into. On the low, I kinda would move to Detroit and do what the hipsters are doing here because of how cheap the housing is, but idk if I'm about that 8 mile life.

Bruh....I always wondered why all these rappers and young hip blacks don't just move Detroit and create their own little world out there. Everything's gotta be dirt cheap, plenty of hood culture, lots of drugs, lots of partying, and it'll be mad easy to buy up a bunch of land and start businesses.

Like someone else said, Queens is a nice cheaper option. I have a few friends who live in Astoria. When I get a well paying job that is where i'll be moving to. I found out one of my friends who lives right by the water and Astoria Park has rent around 4k :wow:. Craziness.

Bruh....I always wondered why all these rappers and young hip blacks don't just move Detroit and create their own little world out there. Everything's gotta be dirt cheap, plenty of hood culture, lots of drugs, lots of partying, and it'll be mad easy to buy up a bunch of land and start businesses.

How much money is there to be made in Detroit? Detroit (even though it's a city) is the U.S. equivalent to a 3rd word country. There's a reason why people aren't looking to move there.

Last edited:
I have a few friends who live in NYC, specifically lower and upper east side. Trust me, their parents are paying for 90% of their expenses.

How much money is there to be made in Detroit? Detroit (even though it's a city) is the U.S. equivalent to a 3rd word country. There's a reason why people aren't looking to move there.
You turn it around by creating opportunity. Build businesses, give people jobs, let them spend money, have hipsters enter.

You turn it around by creating opportunity. Build businesses, give people jobs, let them spend money, have hipsters enter.
Economics that easy huh bruh? BTW, you do know gentrification messes up a cities culture and forces people who are already poor out of their homes.

Last edited:
While I was in NYC there were a few hipsters who asked me about Detroit, on some "I heard it's picking up and I would like to visit.. Is it really as rough as they say"

The thing about gentrification in Detroit is that hipsters for the most part wouldn't be uprooting anyone.. I mean there are whole blocks and neighborhoods abandoned, and most blacks don't have the money to make improvements to what's still standing. Detroit can't get any worse, point blank. The only way to go is up, get on before it's too late.

While I was in NYC there were a few hipsters who asked me about Detroit, on some "I heard it's picking up and I would like to visit.. Is it really as rough as they say"

The thing about gentrification in Detroit is that hipsters for the most part wouldn't be uprooting anyone.. I mean there are whole blocks and neighborhoods abandoned, and most blacks don't have the money to make improvements to what's still standing. Detroit can't get any worse, point blank. The only way to go is up, get on before it's too late.

Entire abandoned blocks? :wow:, damn that's heartbreaking. It's funny, I was just thinking about that statement about people being forced out of neighborhoods they were forced into. I had that exact phrase too. It's crazy. I look around everyday and really go what the **** happened man? :smh:

:lol:

At what cost? We're being pushed out of the same neighborhoods that we were forced to live in. Unlike these yuppies who can go into any neighborhood as they please, someone of color can't go to Bensonhurst, Howard Beach or a Bay Ridge.

Although that is somewhat true...it's getting better now. I've lived in Bensonhurst/****r for my whole life and it's true that there's not much black people. I'm right on 13th avenue and I'm pretty sure the avenue was filled with the Italian mafia back in the day which probably explains why.

I've been starting to see black families..so bensonhurst is definitely getting diverse...hell, even the asian population is quite big there.

Last edited:
Harlem was hit the hardest in my own opinion. I mean places like bushwick,greenpoint, and williamsburg always had certain people in and out because its so close to the city by train. Harlem tho always been just that Harlem I seen a interview with Freekey Zeekey and he was saying how Harlem has changed so much over the last 10 years.

A lot of hipster aren't really poor.  Many of them though they may claim to be bohemian and avantegarde and yuppie and what not, they still have their parents backing them financially.

I've never been to Harlem, what happened?

And abandoned blocks in Detroit? That's crazy. Where did those people go?

Last edited:
I would like to get the numbers those people getting for raiding trash for recyclables. I watch them one night in times square and they had uhaul trucks down there. Are they living off that in NYC?

Last edited:
I think this thread needs some Nomad...

Plus those yuppies improved where they moved in.
At what cost? We're being pushed out of the same neighborhoods that we were forced to live in. Unlike these yuppies who can go into any neighborhood as they please, someone of color can't go to Bensonhurst, Howard Beach or a Bay Ridge.

im from bensonhurst and i see blacks moving in and im guessing thats because the italians got replaced the chinese and we dont give no dambs.

Although that is somewhat true...it's getting better now. I've lived in Bensonhurst/****r for my whole life and it's true that there's not much black people. I'm right on 13th avenue and I'm pretty sure the avenue was filled with the Italian mafia back in the day which probably explains why.

I've been starting to see black families..so bensonhurst is definitely getting diverse...hell, even the asian population is quite big there.

i work on 13th. what you know about the black impala brah :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom