NYC NTers come inside... Vol. How does a hipster afford to live in NYC?!?

rich hipsters from other places coming to live in nyc among other things is what's killing nyc imo.

All you NYC'ers that live in the outer boroughs start taking pictures of your hoods....one day you can sell those photos to museums.

NYC is only the outer boroughs to me. Save for whats left of Wash heights, LES, and Harlem; I think it was inevitable that something like this was gonna happen to NYC. The cost of living being ridiculous, the gentrification, those that are leaving NYC for not greener pastures but places where they can LIVE without being taken to the cleaners.

The freaking tolls, the increase in metrocards, the closing of schools. It just getting really ridiculous in not just NYC but major metropolitan cities across the U.S.

If you ask me, now is the time for people to just bite the bullet and go to places with a bit lesser lights and glamour but better to raise kids, better to save for the families future, etc.

If it wasn't for my family already having a home in NYC before all of this major increases started happening I wouldn't know how to live there without having to work some stupid job that I didn't want for a bunch of years only to slowly climb my way to a job I still didn't like.

Moving outta NYC for grad school changed the way I view the place now. I still call it home, and I would like to be near my family and friends when I get my career going but theirs a lot about NYC now that I am starting to dislike since I've been traveling.

/rant

Last edited:
Lived in NY for 8 years with the 'rents for high school and then in college dorms, but once I got into the real world post-grad I got out of there. I got a few friends doing the $30-40k jobs and living in **** places, and I feel bad for them, but at the same time, they have plenty of fun. Honestly, the stakes aren't very high for those in their early 20s; no kids, no car loans, no house to pay for. If they had parents who could support them through college i.e. no student loans, post-college, you can afford to risk it and not save up. Doesn't necessarily set you up for later in life, but it doesn't mean your day to day life is miserable.

Lived in NY for 8 years with the 'rents for high school and then in college dorms, but once I got into the real world post-grad I got out of there. I got a few friends doing the $30-40k jobs and living in **** places, and I feel bad for them, but at the same time, they have plenty of fun. Honestly, the stakes aren't very high for those in their early 20s; no kids, no car loans, no house to pay for. If they had parents who could support them through college i.e. no student loans, post-college, you can afford to risk it and not save up. Doesn't necessarily set you up for later in life, but it doesn't mean your day to day life is miserable.

Where did you move to?

rich hipsters from other places coming to live in nyc among other things is what's killing nyc imo.

All you NYC'ers that live in the outer boroughs start taking pictures of your hoods....one day you can sell those photos to museums.

NYC is only the outer boroughs to me. Save for whats left of Wash heights, LES, and Harlem; I think it was inevitable that something like this was gonna happen to NYC. The cost of living being ridiculous, the gentrification, those that are leaving NYC for not greener pastures but places where they can LIVE without being taken to the cleaners.

The freaking tolls, the increase in metrocards, the closing of schools. It just getting really ridiculous in not just NYC but major metropolitan cities across the U.S.

If you ask me, now is the time for people to just bite the bullet and go to places with a bit lesser lights and glamour but better to raise kids, better to save for the families future, etc.

If it wasn't for my family already having a home in NYC before all of this major increases started happening I wouldn't know how to live there without having to work some stupid job that I didn't want for a bunch of years only to slowly climb my way to a job I still didn't like.

Moving outta NYC for grad school changed the way I view the place now. I still call it home, and I would like to be near my family and friends when I get my career going but theirs a lot about NYC now that I am starting to dislike since I've been traveling.

/rant

I hear ya, **** is getting bad. Not even worth all that hassle. What places would you suggest then?

peace...

you F'ing grind...

no special trick...

NYC aint never been cheap, dont let em gas you...

work hard, maybe even two jobs and play hard too BUT cheap...

enjoy the cheap things the city has to offer... theres TONS of it if your mind is open and you like meeting people..

peace

i work on 13th. what you know about the black impala brah :rofl:

Say whatttt?? What you know about the "massage" joint on 67th and 13th. :lol:

Been seeing a few of those pop up here and there..

they are very generous thats what i know about it. lol

nah, but you can spot me now when some a-hole smashed into my driver side door so if you see that around the block, dont worry im not a cop lol

Last edited:
Welp, I pretty much know squat about NYC, but I'm going to be living in Morningside Heights this coming fall. But I was looking at places, and saw anywhere from 900 to 1,300. Didn't think it was too bad. I would have roommates tho. I wouldn't trip off of that tho.

I'm Mexican, and not a hipster if it matters. :lol:

morningside heights = west harlem.

/rant

I hear ya, **** is getting bad. Not even worth all that hassle. What places would you suggest then?

I really honestly feel like we need to look for cities whose state economy is on the rise. I heard good things about some cities in north carolina that are on the rise. I really feel like people in Cali, NYC, FL, and some others that are prob in the same economic/education/etc. boat should start looking at cities that offer somewhat multicultural population on the rise. The northeast coast (Vermont, New Hampshire, Deleware), north (eerie lake surrounding states), Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and Northwest offer some interesting oppurtunities for those that have a good skills/education in a certain background, or those that can fit whatever job(s) that city may need.

I'm in Ithaca NY right now which is Central NY and it took some time but I got used to it. It's college town/hipsterish place/slightly white/black trailertrash so it kinda offers me what NYC did only on a smaller scale. It has diversity because of Cornell and Ithaca College attracts so many students especially internationals.

It's gonna take some research, and for sure it won't be as lively as NYC but if your looking for a slower pace, and some room to breathe then there are untapped great smaller town/cities out there.

Last edited:
Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Why the hell would a tourist want to go to the heights?

C'mon now.

Plus those yuppies improved where they moved in.

And btw I have lived in Manhattan all my life. Im not some ******* who stuck around here after college. lol

Why the hell would anyone drive around NYC? Foolish

I'm from NJ but there are hipsters here too. Theyre in the Hoboken area but rent may be cheaper.

I drive here because I hate the MTA. lol

umm..PLENTY of European tourist come to da heights all da time, ya tend to forget that washington heights, and jackson heights are HEAVY latino strongholds and RICH

culture, restaurants, and club/lounges...i wouldn't expect people who are american centric to be aware of hispanic tourist and immigrant flight patterns.

and yuppies don't improve a neighborhood, they make it overpriced and strip it of its culture and identity, this is why gentrifiers are looked upon as vultures and generally loathed.

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Why the hell would a tourist want to go to the heights?

C'mon now.

Plus those yuppies improved where they moved in.

And btw I have lived in Manhattan all my life. Im not some ******* who stuck around here after college. lol

Why the hell would anyone drive around NYC? Foolish

I'm from NJ but there are hipsters here too. Theyre in the Hoboken area but rent may be cheaper.

I drive here because I hate the MTA. lol

umm..PLENTY of European tourist come to da heights all da time, ya tend to forget that washington heights, and jackson heights are HEAVY latino strongholds and RICH

culture, restaurants, and club/lounges...i wouldn't expect people who are american centric to be aware of hispanic tourist and immigrant flight patterns.

and yuppies don't improve a neighborhood, they make it overpriced and strip it of its culture and identity, this is why gentrifiers are looked upon as vultures and generally loathed.

I just wanted to address Air Spider....You mention the yuppies improved those areas. In terms of what? Aesthetics?

The cost of yuppies moving in is that their pushing the NYC culture out.

Addendum:

For the dudes that may consider moving out of NYC or a big city to greener but smaller pastures, think about living in your hood and going the local spots in your hood, You know that there is more beyond your hood, some good, some bad, but you usually stick to your hood if you got good spots to eat and to chill, etc. That's what it's like to move to a lesser known city. Instead the smaller city is the entirety of your hood.

For the first time since I moved outta NYC, I dropped the egocentric attitude I had about NYC. I used to think that everyone was stupid for not moving to a exciting city like NYC. I loved it here and I just had a big ego that NYC was THE best place in the world. It's not if you gotta worry about paying your bills, and buying unecessary ****, and you hate your job, etc.

I kinda understand why some successful people remained in their small city.

Last edited:
The yuppie influx hasn't hit Queens....yet

You think Kanye would have been doing video projections in Williamsburg if it wasnt for them?

Btw, where do the poor people go after they get kicked out by hipsters?

South Bronx

da bronx in general is da last boro where working folks can live and work at a modest income and not feel like they live in a 3rd world.

also, whoever is lucky enough to have rent stabilized/rent controlled apts ain't moving NO WHERE, so in a sense alot of places who's tenants are aware of

there situation dont leave, and with laws that enable you earn up to 175k a year and for da rent not to go up, as well as da ability to pass apts to immediate family

gives working class folks MUCH needed safeguards against da locusts of yuppies and hipsters trying to invade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom