NYC NTers come inside... Vol. How does a hipster afford to live in NYC?!?

I just got back from the city a few days ago, absolutely loved it. The visit kind of solidified the fact that I want to move there even more.

I didn't see many sites, honestly couldn't afford it, I just hung out and partied in Brooklyn, Central Park and checked out MoMa..

What stood out to me the most was the abundance of hipsters in the Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy areas.. And after finding out that a studio/1 bedroom apartment runs $2k+.. I have to ask how the hell do these kids afford it?

7 people to a 1 bedroom, corporate jobs by day-hipsters by night, trust funds?

I want to make this move within the next year, but I'm just trying to figure out how I'll afford it.

They live day to day?

Would like to move to NY too one day. 
nerd.gif

A good portion of these hipsters come from well to do families out in the Midwest. Their parents cut the check for their rent and day to day living.

Last edited:
hipster =/= poor

this

most are fresh out of college that their parents paid for, working 30k jobs, living in apts their parents pay for.
but they're "independent" because they drink a lot and sometimes cook. :rolleyes

so many Jersey girls still come home for their mother to do their laundry.

Last edited:
Roommates are a big thing and having they parents pay some of thier rents/expenses. I wonder also how they do it then I started dating these hipster chicks and yeah my statement solidified it then they move back to wherever they came from.

pick a "bad" neighborhood to live in, get some roommates or both

Last edited:
I step out my door and wonder the same thing. They have to be getting help, especially since I see them chilling out and NOT heading to work in order to be able to live here. Crazy...

Trust me, they live 10 people in a 2 bed room apartment. It's not pretty at all, it's actually very disgusting. They sleep on the floor, bathtubs, etc. 

I used to do a lot of work in buildings where they live, speaking from experience.

However, there are the rich ones but they still choose to live this lifestyle to feel "down".

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

Go to harlem, Washington Heights, Da bronx, deeper

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.

Most outta towners aint seeing da REAL NYC so thats why ya wonder where everyone else lives..

In Brooklyn, queens, lower east side, etc. Thats where working class New Yorkers reside.

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real & was tourist NY.
where the dominicans in DC?

Really? I could have sworn these types invaded Harlem first.

Of course I fully understand this, it's not like I went into Brooklyn knowing that hipsters had taken over.. My first thought was where are the black people, MY people, the "blackness" that BK was known for..

rent control
nope

most hipsters move here from elsewhere so it would be pretty hard to get a rent controlled place

Like people said, there's a lot who have well off families in other places

Most of the ones i know either work as bartenders or at a boutique store so they're not living minimum wage but still pretty much paycheck to paycheck

All that yuppy **** screws up your perspective on whats da real

Of course I fully understand this, it's not like I went into Brooklyn knowing that hipsters had taken over.. My first thought was where are the black people, MY people, the "blackness" that BK was known for..
Flatbush

Back
Top Bottom