NYC NTers: Moving to NYC, need help finding an apartment

Whats up NT,

Just graduated from college, got a job in Hedge Fund/Institutional Sales in Midtown, and need to find an apartment.
I am not sure if this belongs in the Regional but figured I would throw it in General first, mods, please move if you think its a better fit in Regional NYC.

My question is, can some of the NYC NTers list off some reputable apartment brokers companies so I can go on the websites. I have been going on Craigslist alot but getting alot of "that one just got rented, but we have blah blah" seems like a lot of brokers are just looking for the call.

Thanks in advance and any input is appreciated. 

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

Whats up NT,

Just graduated from college, got a job in Hedge Fund/Institutional Sales in Midtown, and need to find an apartment.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

Whats up NT,

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

haha my man Frische, if you didn't like the Jets, we would be much better frends haha! 

Whats up NT,

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
haha my man Frische, if you didn't like the Jets, we would be much better frends haha!
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You'll hate me even more when one of these days I have some ownership in the Jets
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
.. Congrats though.. I may have something coming up in JPMorgan so I'll eventually see you in some corporate gig one day [/color]
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

I hear top hedge funders make $200,000 a hour.
sick.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

haha, yeah i wish.
im working for a boutique research/trading firm that main clients are hedge funds, i-banks, mutual funds, pension plans, and general institutions. the firm is only about 4 years old, so their is a significant business development role attached to it, and its very much client facing, i am looking forward to the opportunity and being part of building something from the ground up.

Whats up NT,

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
You'll hate me even more when one of these days I have some ownership in the Jets
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
.. Congrats though.. I may have something coming up in JPMorgan so I'll eventually see you in some corporate gig one day
tongue.gif

sounds good man, i just want to be like the GM or the Patrios haha. but we should link up for a beer sometime down there, always trying to increase my network.

Whats up NT,

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]You'll hate me even more when one of these days I have some ownership in the Jets
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
.. Congrats though.. I may have something coming up in JPMorgan so I'll eventually see you in some corporate gig one day [/color]
tongue.gif
sounds good man, i just want to be like the GM or the Patrios haha. but we should link up for a beer sometime down there, always trying to increase my network.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Sounds good, we'll keep in touch. Good luck on finding that apartment[/color]

Congrats! I remember reading your thread asking about how to get into the Industry.

You might want to look for an apt broker and get in touch with them before moving up there.

I used to live in the city, then moved to Boston, now I'm in Greenwich commuting in to NYC for work. I'll just recommend a place for you to look into: Stuyvesant Town in Gramercy. It's a pretty nice apartment community with a young, diverse group of tenants. They're also lowering their rental rates.

http://www.stuytown.com/

Also, try to find a roommate or two. A big thing to do in NYC is take a 2 bedroom and put up a wall to create 3 rooms, thus lowering your rent per person. Alot of complexes/management company's actually offer this service at the signing of your lease and put the wall up for you.

The good thing about NYC is there's always apartments available and can get one pretty quickly.

Craigslist actually has great apartments for rent. Only catch will be that you need like 3 months rent to move in or they'll post a brand new condo in the middle of a the hood and you wont even know it till you move in. Just make sure you know the neighborhood where the the apartment is located..hit me up if you need help on what areas to look for and which to avoid.

thanks to everyone for the input.

i am actually a really big fan of stuy town, a good friend of mine lives there and i had been staying there when i was traveling back in forth from providence to nyc for interviews.
i am a huge fan of utilites included haha, and the good sized bedrooms there.

i did an internship with merrill lynch in NYC down in the World Financial Center in 2007 for 6 months, so I am pretty familiar with the city, and know what areas to stay out of.

any other input is welcomed.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

I hear top hedge funders make $200,000 a hour.
sick.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

haha, yeah i wish.
im working for a boutique research/trading firm that main clients are hedge funds, i-banks, mutual funds, pension plans, and general institutions. the firm is only about 4 years old, so their is a significant business development role attached to it, and its very much client facing, i am looking forward to the opportunity and being part of building something from the ground up.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Craigslist actually has great apartments for rent. Only catch will be that you need like 3 months rent to move in or they'll post a brand new condo in the middle of a the hood and you wont even know it till you move in. Just make sure you know the neighborhood where the the apartment is located..hit me up if you need help on what areas to look for and which to avoid.
That's inaccurate in terms of every one of my experiences. I don't know who you've dealt with, but I've used craigslist to find two difference places, and those two times we probably looked at 8-10 options each. 100% of my experiences have been first and last months rent as a deposit in the areas that were advertised. This time around I got two extra months free and no inflated costs because of those free two months.

I'd say as a young professional, you'd wanna move to Murray Hill/Midtown East. Stuy town and the East Village are alright too (I Lived in the EV my first year, I live in Murray Hill now), although Stuy Town is still getting over that gigantic lawsuit where they overcharged or screwed thousands of people out of money...or something like that. It was a huge scandal. But the plus side is that it's kind of like an easy transition since there are a lot of younger professionals and NYU kids etc all around there.

Downtown in the financial area has good bang for your buck apartments, but they're cheap(er) because no one wants to live down all the way down there (so I'm told).

As far as craigslist, what people don't realize is that a MAJORITY of those listings are strategically placed in there by brokers (even if you click no broker fees, etc) to lure you in to their offices (as you sorta mentioned in your initial post). Once you're in, they show you the one place and then they try to seal you in by showing you a bunch of other places that are comparable. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but just be aware. Also, there is room to negotiate, price wise, no matter what a broker or whoever says.

I forget all the people I dealt with but I think it was Anchor Associates and Best Apartments inc or something like that. They're all legit and the 'no fee' thing can be a trade off for other options.

thanks to everyone for the input.

i am actually a really big fan of stuy town, a good friend of mine lives there and i had been staying there when i was traveling back in forth from providence to nyc for interviews.
i am a huge fan of utilites included haha, and the good sized bedrooms there.

i did an internship with merrill lynch in NYC down in the World Financial Center in 2007 for 6 months, so I am pretty familiar with the city, and know what areas to stay out of.

any other input is welcomed.
sweet. my brother lex used to work there.

laugh.gif
at the mods moving this from General to Sports. I thought OP must be LeBron or something for this to be in the right forum, in Sports

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

I used to live in the city, then moved to Boston, now I'm in Greenwich commuting in to NYC for work. I'll just recommend a place for you to look into: Stuyvesant Town in Gramercy. It's a pretty nice apartment community with a young, diverse group of tenants. They're also lowering their rental rates.

http://www.stuytown.com/

Also, try to find a roommate or two. A big thing to do in NYC is take a 2 bedroom and put up a wall to create 3 rooms, thus lowering your rent per person. Alot of complexes/management company's actually offer this service at the signing of your lease and put the wall up for you.

The good thing about NYC is there's always apartments available and can get one pretty quickly.

Random, but is this the place that just had the strategic default which previously was one of the biggest deals in real estate history back in 2006/7?

Back
Top Bottom