NYers Vote NO on the Constitutional Convention

make sure y’all vote NO on the constitutional convention. Bureaucrats wanna reopen the constitution to bust unions and take away pensions. Opening that up would lead to the school system collapsing. One of the main reasons teachers teach in the DOE as opposed to elsewhere is the pension they receive. Remove that, and you’ll see the pay for school industry take over and ruin America.

I have no idea what any of that is, but the slippery slope picture you painted seems bad. If this happens, then this will happen, then America will be ruined. It's tough nowadays (with so many sources for information) that it seems EVERYTHING leads to the ruin of America.

I’m gonna vote no regardless but is there any other reason to vote no other than city fat cats not getting their bloated pensions

It’s really not City fat cats at risk. Fat cats want this to pass. This is more of an attack on the middle class. Every union worker is at risk. Carpenters electricians teachers etc.

I hate cops with a passion, but if this puts union members in every industry in trouble, it's not worth it. Unions are the best option for people everywhere to make a decent wage, and work with dignity.

Put me on game, because my current belief is that unions in support of public pensions are crap. The money just isn't there in many cases, and it's bankrupting cities and making industries go belly up, while also removing personal accountability for retirement planning. Now I'm no expert here and I'm open to changing my opinion on this, but I find military, police and fire fighter pensions ridiculous.

Now if a private company or partnership offers pensions, cool, but even the outrageous auto industry pensions that ended up screwing over many auto industry retires and put the US auto industry at risk don't seem realistic. Again, I'm open to changing my opinion on this but that's how I currently see it.

The extra $100 in my check isn’t worth the $90,000 a year pension I’d have when I’m 62.

Is this a real life example? If so, the math doesn't add up.

$100 * 26 pay checks per year * 30 years = $78k. At a 7% annual return you could get to $0.4M after 32 years of saving $2.6k annually. You think that should give you $90k annually from 62 until death? Instead, why don't these public institutions mimic the private and/or publicly traded companies and support a 401k match instead of supporting pensions?

Last edited:
90k sounds way high. You ain't touching that especially if you're in tier 6.

Chopper, some of these public institutions pay less annually than you could make in the private sector. Being promised a pension after 25 years of service is a huge incentive to work there.

OPs example of the DOE was spot on.

****ing idiots voted out our great pension plan for a 10K check from the company. I'm still sick 3 years later

90k sounds way high. You ain't touching that especially if you're in tier 6.

Chopper, some of these public institutions pay less annually than you could make in the private sector. Being promised a pension after 25 years of service is a huge incentive to work there.

OPs example of the DOE was spot on.
Just a random number but if the max salary in 30 years rises up to 150k, it would be possible. Obviously that’s all based on new contracts and the rate of inflation. Either way, 70% of your final three years average is an awesome pension in addition to the tda you have if you desire to feed it.

Nyc employees makes so much after retirement with those pensions. It makes it probably the best jobs in the city. Tough as **** to get as well.

The garbage man waitlist itself is 4 years.

Unions are like everything in life a gift and a curse. Tenure and tough union laws don't help the situation. But in order to get the jobs that most people don't want, it's necessary.

The incentives/OT pay/ pensions, and job protection unions provide, it's a tough force to **** with.

I'd vote no.

I have family that works in the DOE (mombs included) and know people that are doing well for themselves working for unions.

Back
Top Bottom