NYPD officer killed by fellow cop

• Authorities: Omar Edwards, chasing a suspect, was fatally shot by another officer
  • Edwards witnessed suspect trying to break into his car
  • Another saw his pursuit, jumped out of unmarked vehicle and fired six shots
  • Both officers wearing street clothes; Edwards didn't fire weapon
By Cheryl Robinson
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A police officer was shot to death by another officer as he was chasing a man he saw breaking into his car in New York's East Harlem neighborhood , authorities said.

New York Police Department Officer Omar Edwards, 25, was shot twice about 10:30 p.m. Thursday just blocks from the precinct where he had finished his shift. He was pronounced dead less than an hour later at Harlem Hospital.

Edwards, in plainclothes, had just left the Housing Bureau Station House on East 124th St., said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. As Edwards approached his car, he saw a man rummaging through it.

"We believe that at this point, Officer Edwards, with his gun drawn, chased the individual north to 125th Street and east toward First Avenue," Kelly said at a news conference in New York early Friday at Harlem Hospital.

Edwards was not wearing a bulletproof vest and did not fire a shot, Kelly said.

Plainclothes officers patrolling the neighborhood in an unmarked vehicle saw the chase and went after Edwards and the suspect.

"One of the officers, after exiting the vehicle, fired six times from a 9 mm Glock," Kelly said.

Edwards was shot in the chest and arm. It was not clear whether any of the officers had identified themselves as law enforcement.

The officer who fired the shots has four-and-a-half years' experience, authorities said. The shooting is under investigation, Kelly said.

A man was later arrested on suspicion of breaking into Edwards' car.

R.I.P.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

6 shots because he seen somebody stealing?

Six shots because he saw someone running with a gun ....

Edwards was the one killed and he was the one chasing the person he saw breaking into his car ....

Goes to show this dude thought he was going to get some type of merit for arresting/killing a perp with a pistol, instead he raised questions to why he had toshoot so many times and if in fact he even identified himself .. Some cops usually shoot 1st and then try to plan/come up with the excuse ... in this case heshoot a cop so what's the story?

Should automatically go to jail for murder

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Edwards was the one killed and he was the one chasing the person he saw breaking into his car ....

Goes to show this dude thought he was going to get some type of merit for arresting/killing a perp with a pistol, instead he raised questions to why he had to shoot so many times and if in fact he even identified himself .. Some cops usually shoot 1st and then try to plan/come up with the excuse ... in this case he shoot a cop so what's the story?

Firstly, R.I.P. to the officer.

To play devil's advocate though.. officers are taught to "shoot to incapacitate," if there's a deadly weapon involved. However, if theplainclothes officer identified himself this dude is done for.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Goes to show this dude thought he was going to get some type of merit for arresting/killing a perp with a pistol, instead he raised questions to why he had to shoot so many times and if in fact he even identified himself .. Some cops usually shoot 1st and then try to plan/come up with the excuse ... in this case he shoot a cop so what's the story?

To play devil's advocate though.. officers are taught to "shoot to incapacitate," if there's a deadly weapon involved. However, if the plainclothes officer identified himself this dude is done for.

And how are we gonna find out if he identified himself?....Exactly another murderer set free.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

To play devil's advocate though.. officers are taught to "shoot to incapacitate," if there's a deadly weapon involved. However, if the plainclothes officer identified himself this dude is done for.
And how are we gonna find out if he identified himself?....Exactly another murderer set free.
I didn't say we were, but witnesses could come forward.

viiheaven wrote:
elboricua 6 wrote:
lurkin2long wrote:

I didnt know incapacitate meant "murder" ... anyways, the dude shot 6 times - one hit the leg the other hit the chest ... no fires whereshot back ... just the fact that he hit him on the chest mean that the two officers must of have been facing each other or at the very least seen each other ..so some words have had to be exchange! maybe .. OR MAYBE NOT .. JUST BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG .. begging the search .. holy !@%$ he is acop!

I didn't say we were, but witnesses could come forward.

You stated if he identified himself he is done for, therefore stating we would find out, which we won't.

I didnt know incapacitate meant "murder" ... anyways, the dude shot 6 times - one hit the leg the other hit the chest ... no fires where shot back ... just the fact that he hit him on the chest mean that the two officers must of have been facing each other or at the very least seen each other .. so some words have had to be exchange! maybe .. OR MAYBE NOT .. JUST BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG .. begging the search .. holy !@%$ he is a cop!
"Shoot to incapacitate" means "shoot to kill", its just a procedural term. Seriously, I've been in college for four yearsin a Criminal Justice school and all my CJ professors are former detectives, officers, sergeants, etc., and they all say the only reason you pull out your gunis to lay someone out, there should be no other reason for it.

I didnt know incapacitate meant "murder" ... anyways, the dude shot 6 times - one hit the leg the other hit the chest ... no fires where shot back ... just the fact that he hit him on the chest mean that the two officers must of have been facing each other or at the very least seen each other .. so some words have had to be exchange! maybe .. OR MAYBE NOT .. JUST BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG .. begging the search .. holy !@%$ he is a cop!
"Shoot to incapacitate" means "shoot to kill", its just a procedural term. Seriously, I've been in college for four years in a Criminal Justice school and all my CJ professors are former detectives, officers, sergeants, etc., and they all say the only reason you pull out your gun is to lay someone out, there should be no other reason for it.

I go to the school of common sense, and that says to not shoot someone 6 times without a weapon, if you pull your gun out you should be PREPARED to shootsomeone, not INTENDING to shoot someone.

good to know people aren't rushing to judgement before knowing the whole story

..terrible story though.. the cop who got shot had two little kids.

"Shoot to incapacitate" means "shoot to kill", its just a procedural term. Seriously, I've been in college for four years in a Criminal Justice school and all my CJ professors are former detectives, officers, sergeants, etc., and they all say the only reason you pull out your gun is to lay someone out, there should be no other reason for it.

I go to the school of common sense, and that says to not shoot someone 6 times without a weapon, if you pull your gun out you should be PREPARED to shoot someone, not INTENDING to shoot someone.
"We believe that at this point, Officer Edwards, with his gun drawn, chased the individual north to 125thStreet and east toward First Avenue,"

Either you're not getting it or you're failing at reading comprehension. Officer Edwards (who died) was presumed to have his gun out. Another officerSHOT officer Edwards because he (presumably) had his gun drawn. Officer Edwards did not shoot the guy who was breaking into his car.

And don't try and get condescending, your school of common sense would get you killed out in the streets as an officer.

Horrible. Saw a breaking news update on NY1 last night about a cop in critical condition.
smh.gif

Dude must've been relatively new to be running around with his gun drawn in plain clothes. Sucks.

It's crazy out there, man.

You think he aimed his gun at the officer?....Because my reading comprehension is top notch and the source says he didn't fire his gun so how was he indanger?

But yeah lets "analyze" the "facts"..Funny how they don't rush to any conclusions when policemen are at fault.

Policemen are here to protect and serve, not shoot first and ask questions later. Officers like that give them the bad name. Shooting should be a last option,way past drawing ones weapon, if you were taught that you should fire upon withdrawing a gun, you were taught WRONG.

viiheaven wrote:
elboricua 6 wrote:

Im glad your schooling is paying off .. please re-read and decipher my terrible grammar and English ..

P.S. All your freaking professors should be fire .. they dont know wth they talking about ... imagen if every cop had that mentality????? Or maybe youjust dont pay attention and what they said was, if you draw your weapon and you shoot, you shoot to kill .. yeah that sounds more logical .. payattention!!!!!

You think he aimed his gun at the officer?....Because my reading comprehension is top notch and the source says he didn't fire his gun so how was he in danger?

But yeah lets "analyze" the "facts"..Funny how they don't rush to any conclusions when policemen are at fault.

Policemen are here to protect and serve, not shoot first and ask questions later. Officers like that give them the bad name. Shooting should be a last option, way past drawing ones weapon, if you were taught that you should fire upon withdrawing a gun, you were taught WRONG.
When someone in plain clothes is running through NYC with his gun drawn, it's not outrageous for an officer to fire before calmly approactingthe gun-wielder and asking for identification. I mean, there are some shifty cops out there, but when you're in that situation when all you see is one manchasing another with a loaded pistol, you fire because someone is obviously in immediate danger.

Some of y'all must really think it's easy to make those split second life/death decisions.

You think he aimed his gun at the officer?....Because my reading comprehension is top notch and the source says he didn't fire his gun so how was he in danger?

Policemen are here to protect and serve, not shoot first and ask questions later. Officers like that give them the bad name. Shooting should be a last option, way past drawing ones weapon, if you were taught that you should fire upon withdrawing a gun, you were taught WRONG.
I agree with your last statement, where you mention that shooting should be the last option. The gun shouldn't even be drawn if it isn'tthe last option. But, if a weapon is drawn, you have to assume, whoever it is, drew it to SHOOT.

If I'm an officer, and I see someone with a gun in their hand, I'm assuming its out because they're going to shoot, not for intimidation purposes.And a person with a gun in their hand is a threat to the lives of others, so you incapacitate them.

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

When someone in plain clothes is running through NYC with his gun drawn, it's not outrageous for an officer to fire before calmly approacting the gun-wielder and asking for identification. I mean, there are some shift cops out there, but when you're in that situation when all you see is one man chasing another with a loaded pistol, you fire because someone is obviously in immediate danger.

Ok, and no words are said prior to this encounter, it is quite obvious protocol wasn't taken. PUT YOUR GUN DOWN, OR IDENTIFY YOURSELF???????

Something is REALLY off.

Again IM NOT STATING THIS ISN'T AN ACCIDENT, BUT TIME SHOULD BE GIVEN, WHICH IT OBVIOUSLY WON'T.

Back
Top Bottom