NYPD Officer Killed Chasing Suspect in East Harlem

Most current overall stats to date

958 people killed by police

http://killedbypolice.net

American population is 322,583,006

This puts the overall police kill rate at 0.00029.
The number of police killed this year by guns, assault, vehicular assault is about 44 according to ​
44 out of 800000 cops is 0.0055 percent.​
 ​
According to these stats you are more likely to be killed as a cop than by a cop. This doesn't take into account that the vast majority of police shooting involve an armed suspect.​
This is one of the worst comparisons and reaches I've seen in a long time.

:smh:

Some disgusting comments on here and opinions of the job by people who have never done two seconds of it.

Rest in paradise Officer Holder, we'll take it from here.

How is this a reach? I posted hard facts. 
laugh.gif
Your equations are extremely misleading.

The American population consist of many many races and ethnicity's when the argument was blacks.

The American population also consist of doctors, lawyers, teachers, janitors, bums, ect.

How you comparing the death rate in one of the most dangerous professions to all the professions in the US?

It's disgusting how your using stats to hide behind a ridiculous argument.

Those two stats have nothing in common but a death toll 
laugh.gif

How is this a reach? I posted hard facts. :lol:

The American population consist of many many races and ethnicity's when the argument was blacks.

The American population also consist of doctors, lawyers, teachers, janitors, bums, ect.

How you comparing the death rate in one of the most dangerous professions to all the professions in the US?

Those two stats have nothing in common but a death toll :lol:

Not even in the top 10 actually.

Forbes' lists "Police Officer" as number 10 in Deadliest Jobs in the nation.

But on another note, I'd love for you to note other jobs that include possibly getting shot by people as an occupational hazard.

And how many of those other deadliest jobs are dangerous because another person may potentially kill you, either by firearm or knife?

Those two stats have nothing in common but a death toll :lol:

That's funny that you should bring this up, because statistics also show that being a cop is actually not all that dangerous statistically. :lol:  I posted that stat in response to people arguing that the rate of police shootings I posted is "miniscule" which is up to interpretation. Now if those numbers are miniscule then the rates of police killing citizens is even more miniscule. You didn't even read the context of why i posted those statistics and decided to chime in.

The stats I posted were in response to ridiculous comments that are made in these threads. 

Whether or not police work is dangerous isn't what i was arguing but if you must know, here are the most dangerous jobs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-fleetwood/how-dangerous-is-police-w_b_6373798.html

And what I posted was NOT a death toll. It was geared toward specific causes of death amongst police namely assault and shootings at the hands of citizens. There is outcry about how often police shoot and kill citizens when cops actually get killed by citizens at a higher rate. That's the argument my statistics were geared toward. I didn't add cops dying of strokes and heart attacks. I should have added cops who die in pursuit but I left that out.

View media item 1756640

That's funny that you should bring this up, because statistics also show that being a cop is actually not all that dangerous statistically. 
laugh.gif
 I posted that stat in response to people arguing that the rate of police shootings I posted is "miniscule" which is up to interpretation. Now if those numbers are miniscule then the rates of police killing citizens is even more miniscule. You didn't even read the context of why i posted those statistics and decided to chime in.

The stats I posted were in response to ridiculous comments that are made in these threads. 

Whether or not police work is dangerous isn't what i was arguing but if you must know, here are the most dangerous jobs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-fleetwood/how-dangerous-is-police-w_b_6373798.html

And what I posted was NOT a death toll. It was geared toward specific causes of death amongst police namely assault and shootings at the hands of citizens. There is outcry about how often police shoot and kill citizens when cops actually get killed by citizens at a higher rate. That's the argument my statistics were geared toward. I didn't add cops dying of strokes and heart attacks. I should have added cops who die in pursuit but I left that out.
My bad, that's news to me, just assumed being a cop was dangerous.

I blame it on the media 
laugh.gif

Still dont think those numbers are comparable 

here is outcry about how often police shoot and kill citizens when cops actually get killed by citizens at a higher rate. That's the argument my statistics were geared toward.
And you can't use those stats for your argument 
laugh.gif

Most peoples jobs don't require them to wear a .45 and a bullet proof vest 
laugh.gif

That's funny that you should bring this up, because statistics also show that being a cop is actually not all that dangerous statistically. :lol:  I posted that stat in response to people arguing that the rate of police shootings I posted is "miniscule" which is up to interpretation. Now if those numbers are miniscule then the rates of police killing citizens is even more miniscule. You didn't even read the context of why i posted those statistics and decided to chime in.

My bad, that's news to me, just assumed being a cop was dangerous.

I blame it on the media :lol:

Still dont think those numbers are comparable View media item 1702255

They aren't comparable. The difference is that when a cop shoots somebody, he is investigated by his buddies while still being paid, and rarely faces any repercussions. If someone shoots a cop, they are either dead or tried in a kangaroo court and sentenced to death or life imprisonment.

Yeah I blame all of you for entertaining Anton as much as you guys have been.

Your stats are horrible. I'm not even sure what it is you're attempting to argue.

Officer killed but it won't cause any riots like when a black man get killed by cops?
I don't get you, b.

Some disgusting comments on here and opinions of the job by people who have never done two seconds of it.
Forbes' lists "Police Officer" as number 10 in Deadliest Jobs in the nation.

But on another note, I'd love for you to note other jobs that include possibly getting shot by people as an occupational hazard.

And how many of those other deadliest jobs are dangerous because another person may potentially kill you, either by firearm or knife?

I would love to see some of these "disgusting comments" made in this thread. I think almost all posters in this thread have been respectful of one another, if not other ideas. I'm actually proud that NT can have a thread like this where people make arguments, cite facts to back up their claims, and the name calling and unnecessary comments are to a minimum.

Other jobs that include possibly getting shot as an occupational hazard: pizza delivery driver, cab driver, convenience store clerk.

They are shedding light on a problem by demonizing an entire group of people, sound familiar? There are more constructive ways to shed light on a problem than promoting every single police shooting of a black man as automatically cold blooded murder.
Can you elaborate on these more constructive ways?

The rate of police killing is similar to the rate of blacks who get killed by cops. There are approximately 47 million black people in this country, about a third of police killing involve a black person which puts the number around 300. So 300 deaths per 47 million, a rate of .0006%. Out of the 800-900 or so police killings per year only about 160 were unarmed at the time of the killing. Yes these stats are indeed misleading. Now focusing on that unarmed population, how much of it was provoked. How many of those did the cop actually have a legitimate reason to believe the suspect was armed or a threat?
Just to clarify....

you think that the rate of shootings / killings...

for a group of people whose job is to engage and apprehend people, many of whom are criminals or have little regard for the law.

should be compared...

to the entire population of black Americans... most of which have no interaction with criminals or firearms

..and a point can be proven?

So your saying being black is comparable in safety to having a job that requires you to apprehend criminals. If that's what you're saying, I agree. What cops are doing is criminal.. and they do it at similar rates as criminals.

Last edited:
I would love to see some of these "disgusting comments" made in this thread. I think almost all posters in this thread have been respectful of one another, if not other ideas. I'm actually proud that NT can have a thread like this where people make arguments, cite facts to back up their claims, and the name calling and unnecessary comments are to a minimum.

Other jobs that include possibly getting shot as an occupational hazard: pizza delivery driver, cab driver, convenience store clerk.

Some have said he brought it on himself for what other cops have done. That's disgusting.

Some have said he brought it on himself for what other cops have done. That's disgusting.

Where in this thread did someone say that? I might have genuinely missed it.

It was specifically mentioned. It should be expected though. Go on a law enforcement forum and post a thread about wrongfully convicted people or police shootings, and you will get the same type of posts, or worse, but from the opposite side of the coin.

As far as TWAN'S argument, it is very strange.

"you think that the rate of shootings / killings...

for a group of people whose job is to engage and apprehend people, many of whom are criminals or have little regard for the law.

should be compared...

to the entire population of black Americans... most of which have no interaction with criminals or firearms"

Where in this thread did someone say that? I might have genuinely missed it.

Unfortunate situation, however, when you look at the state of affairs today, all the crooked cops that he didn't snitch on caused his demise.

All of the cops who killed unarmed men and women caused his demise...with help from the media of course

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom