O.J. Mayo reportdley received $30k worth of gifts from associates while attending USC. EDIT:OTL Vid

laugh.gif
he is 20 years old. I think he probably got left back or something. School problems?

Sorry to break it to you guys but O.J did it. I know many people that go to USC and a couple of people that have talked to O.J in person
and they say he got a new flat screen T.V in his dorm room and is also pushing a fresh new car. So yea im pretty sure this is all true.

Oh boy, here we go. Where you get your facts amaze me, but I know for a fact Duke has no where near the boosters that the big football schools have. Alleva made sure of that. Not to mention I was with the basketball and football players day in and day out and NEVER seen or heard of these dudes receiving "benefits", especially dudes like JJ and Shelden.
laugh.gif
, your jumping in like I stated facts and figures. Inever said how big the Duke booster base is, just that they do have a booster base. Which you confirmed. Of course on the football team no one ever receivedbenefits, they have been a doormat since the program started. Sure, some dudes play it straight and follow the rules, but there are always those that take themoney and gifts and I don't blame them. They deserve whatever benefits they get.

he is 20 years old. I think he probably got left back or something. School problems?

It happens often with basketball "prodigies".

Amare Stoudemire was 20 year old rookie, fresh out of high school. So he would have been a 20 year old freshman if the "One and Done" rule was ineffect.

That dude was snitchin mad hard. Let the kid live. This is why I hope they allow some sort of payments for college athletes. A couple of hundred dollars go along way.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

laugh.gif

Many kids with potential do this. It's mainly done by their guradian or parents. If a kid shows flashes of brilliance whether in football orbasketball, they hold him back a grade (usually elementary) or maybe even two (Mayo). This way when he's in high school, he will be one year more mature,better, bigger, experienced than his classmates, thus getting more exposure. I'd say 70% of your favorite athletes did this. Including guys like LeBron,KG.

Like this years class for example. Rose, Gordon, Bayless, Love, Mayo are not true freshmen. They are all older.
Some recent guys like Durant, Oden, Budinger and Beasley were/are true freshmen.

This years HS seniors like Jennings, Derozan are all one year older as well. Finding guys that are true to their class is a rarity in this day and age. Noticethat they are all top players as well. That's why I thought it was special for Oden and Durant to go 1-2 in the draft. Those guys did it without the oneyear of extra experience.

OJ repeated the 8th grade so that he could gain another year of basketball experience. His advisors were basiclly trying to make sure he could make the jumpfrom HS to the NBA, since that was before the One and Done rule.

I don't think so much emphasis/blame should be put on the schools as much as the athletes for succumbing to these temptations and the "pimps" fortrying to lure them. At least not in this case. Potential agents looking for a payday know exactly how to target a lot of these naive and impressionable kids,especially those that tend to come from less than optimal backgrounds and who have little education/knowledge to start off with. The learning institution aresort of like the middlemen and many times they just get bypassed in situations like these. At the same time, the schools also do everything in their power toattract these kids to their programs in the first place and for that they should be penalized whether it's because f promises of superior housingopportunities, ridiculous scholarships, "tutors/study buddies" or other perks. Still, it's these scummy wanna-be agents who play the biggest rolein hooking them. It might be against NCAA rules and unethical for these salespeople to secure a verbal agreement to future management rights, but is itillegal? They (the media & NCAA people) love to make it seem like these athletes commit some heinous acts against humanity but they're just a complicitwhen they prop up an athlete with a bright future and benefit greatly themselves in one way or another. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of thatworld so I might be way off in my reasoning, but does anyone else somewhat agree?

Originally Posted by OGJumpman

Sorry to break it to you guys but O.J did it. I know many people that go to USC and a couple of people that have talked to O.J in person
and they say he got a new flat screen T.V in his dorm room and is also pushing a fresh new car. So yea im pretty sure this is all true.

no body in this thread denied if this was true or not.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

That dude was snitchin mad hard. Let the kid live. This is why I hope they allow some sort of payments for college athletes. A couple of hundred dollars go a long way.

I don't think his intent to snitch was against Mayo. It seemed like he was salty about getting booted by Guillory, and he wanted to get him back byexposing him. This is no ay shape or form hurts O.J.

Originally Posted by mofogoat

Whether or not ESPN is putting SC "on blast" is irrelevant. It isn't like ESPN is making up this story with no proof to back it up. If they're clean, they're clean. If not, then they deserve whatever's coming to them...sorry.

I don't see how you can say it's "irrelevant" when it could significantly alter O.J.'s future and put unnecessary weight on the SCbasketball program. The reason why IT IS relevant is that whether the facts are true or false, O.J.'s life has changed in a bad way. You can't saythe same for the ESPN editors/writers who are given the free pass to do whatever they please. It's the problem with journalism today, there'sabsolutely no accountability.

This is why the NBA should just go back to letting HS kids go to the pros. It really screws the programs more than the players themselves b/c it's not asif this would affect any of these players draft status.

my dude plays at a small time d1 program and he still gets money, this aint nothing new. i donno it aint a problem in my eyes
and im suprised its only 30k

my dude plays at a small time d1 program and he still gets money, this aint nothing new. i donno it aint a problem in my eyes
and im suprised its only 30k

USC's basketball program is not at the elite level (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA), but it in no way is it "small time".

^ he meant his friend plays at a small time school and EVEN HE gets side money...so he's not surprised that someone like OJ would be.

Just saw the segment on SportsCenter and it's pretty obvious that a few things went down between OJ and Guillory.

I just don't see how any of this is prevented in the future when kids are going to school for one year no matter what. If he doesn't takemoney/gifts...he coasts through 6 credits or whatever the minimum is...doesn't even go to Spring classes...and then declares. If he takes the gifts/moneyand is caught...USC forfeits some games but there's no jail/fine/penalty otherwise. OJ goes pro, gets his $10+ Million guaranteed, BDA Sports has theirclient and makes their cut, and Guillory is onto being a runner for the next big thing. Why would Tim Floyd say anything about knowing of the situation? Nobodyfunneling money to OJ is affiliated w/ the school and they already did their own "investigation." Pleading ignorance works just fine, he gets hisHUGE salary and builds a program, recruits Derozan and continues to see the money pile up for years to come.

I'm just waiting for the 15 year-old phenom that'll say "#+%* it" and not even be eligible for HS games, take boatloads of money, play justAAU ball, or even better yet, play as a Pro in Europe, make money early and often and then enter the draft.

These kids are barely earning a HS diploma as is and the freshman year at college is nothing but a joke...major changes need to be made if any anyone is reallyconcerned about changing anything.

I'm down for either the player entering the draft out of HS, cause I DO THINK that should be an option, or 2 years in college should be required because w/just one year there's FAR too many loopholes for things like this to go down.

OJ's story would make a great movie one day...this has pretty much been a textbook HS star case the whole way.

This is just another reason why the "1 year" rule is a dumb rule, and it makes no sense. If a guy has no intention of getting an education then hereally shouldn't be there, period. Of course players are going to further make a mockery of the system if the only reason they're there is because of aforced rule. Why should Mayo or Beasley give a crap about anything when they know they're out of there in a matter of months.

i would take the money as well. I have nothing to lose.

and i think lebron isnt tru to his class cuz his bday is in late December.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Like i said, the NBA need to have some sort 2-3 year rule to stop this from happening.
Why? Is that 2-3 enrollment going to encourage them to obtain a degree when they have been groomed since the 8-9th grade to become a Pro bycoaches, teachers, "advisors"???
laugh.gif

F that... if you got the talent to make that money.... go for it. If you can go to war at 18 you should be able to make a living playing ball... I wasstationed with PLENTY of folks who barely finished highschool, didnt stop them from earning a living in the Armed Forces...

Baseball players are drafted right out of highschool, Tennis players can turn pro at 15-17..... who is encouraging them to seek an education?
eyes.gif

I'm shocked how little critique is directed towards THE AGENTS here. Folks, OJ Mayo is a patsy. He just plays basketball. He's not a mover. He'snot a shaker. He directs so little capital in this game that he is the M F'n patsy. He still shares blame. Mayo knows the rules. He just doesn't givetwo #+#! about them. Why should he care about those rules? He just wants money.

The real problem here is the parlor game the agencies play to circumnavigate the NCAA, NBA, and NBPA rules. The agencies are in the business of taking highlevel basketball talent and turning them into capital growth hedge funds. This is the OJ Mayo hedge fund directed by Bill Duffy and Associates. Guillory is arunner/money changer. Calvin Andrews is the point agent/account manager. Carmelo Anthony is the face of the Carmelo Anthony Hedge Fund, already a wild capitalgrowth success story. His role is to recruit new talent to BDA so they can get their own hedge fund.

These agencies can talk to rising basketball talent whenever they want. No rules will stop them. If you try and stop them they are smarter than you. Profit,like life, will always find a way.

The NCAA is just a bball venue to the agencies. USC is just a member in the league. There's no real strategy used to send Mayo to USC. The only guaranteeswere that he WAS going to a Nike school and that it was going to be in a major basketball conference.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

This $$@* goes on EVERYWHERE if you have a supreme talent...Esp if you got mean @%% boosters...Like Bama Florida State, Kentucky Duke, etc....
Fixed!

I like how dreClark tip toed around Duke and FSU,
laugh.gif
, yet puts Kentucky on blast.

Ya'll dudes are hilarious with your "holier than thou" attitudes. I'm all for athletes getting paid, perks, etc. The NCAA exploits them.

Son....I ain't putting NOBODY on blast...

But you fooling yourself if you think Duke has anywhere near the booster System that Bama or Kentucky has....I mean, lets take the Ketchup and Mustardglasses off and be serious.

And even FSU to a certain extent...You think that FSU is equal to Bama or Kentucky??? Are you serious??? Son, Bama, Lsu, Kentucky is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BREEDmy man...

Bama and Kentucky have NO PRO Sports teams and the majority of that state is for either of those two schools.

FSU Booster system is prolly on par w/ the rest of the Big 3....But NOWHERE near that SEC *%#%....All you gotta do is look at Rivals when some *%#% goesdown involving Big Blue...

Bama had like 90,000 people for a $%#%#$+ SPRING GAME!!!! If that doesn't tell you what you need to know, then I don't know what will....

You reaching bruh....
ohwell.gif

ummmmmmmm for the record who is hating on mayo IN THIS THREAD?
I like how dreClark tip toed around Duke and FSU,
laugh.gif
, yet puts Kentucky on blast.
duke has no where near the amount of boosters that the other schools have. FSU is another story
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know my teams are dirty. I always say that *%#%. NO program is clean...
^ he meant his friend plays at a small time school and EVEN HE gets side money...so he's not surprised that someone like OJ would be.

Just saw the segment on SportsCenter and it's pretty obvious that a few things went down between OJ and Guillory.

I just don't see how any of this is prevented in the future when kids are going to school for one year no matter what. If he doesn't take money/gifts...he coasts through 6 credits or whatever the minimum is...doesn't even go to Spring classes...and then declares. If he takes the gifts/money and is caught...USC forfeits some games but there's no jail/fine/penalty otherwise. OJ goes pro, gets his $10+ Million guaranteed, BDA Sports has their client and makes their cut, and Guillory is onto being a runner for the next big thing. Why would Tim Floyd say anything about knowing of the situation? Nobody funneling money to OJ is affiliated w/ the school and they already did their own "investigation." Pleading ignorance works just fine, he gets his HUGE salary and builds a program, recruits Derozan and continues to see the money pile up for years to come.

I'm just waiting for the 15 year-old phenom that'll say "#+%* it" and not even be eligible for HS games, take boatloads of money, play just AAU ball, or even better yet, play as a Pro in Europe, make money early and often and then enter the draft.

These kids are barely earning a HS diploma as is and the freshman year at college is nothing but a joke...major changes need to be made if any anyone is really concerned about changing anything.

I'm down for either the player entering the draft out of HS, cause I DO THINK that should be an option, or 2 years in college should be required because w/ just one year there's FAR too many loopholes for things like this to go down.

OJ's story would make a great movie one day...this has pretty much been a textbook HS star case the whole way.
Some kids are doing this already, to a certain extent. Not necessarily making themselves ineligible, but simply not playing HS basketball and justplaying the AAU circuit. Good post though and it will be interesting should some +$** like that go down.
I'm shocked how little critique is directed towards THE AGENTS here. Folks, OJ Mayo is a patsy. He just plays basketball. He's not a mover. He's not a shaker. He directs so little capital in this game that he is the M F'n patsy. He still shares blame. Mayo knows the rules. He just doesn't give two #+#! about them. Why should he care about those rules? He just wants money.

The real problem here is the parlor game the agencies play to circumnavigate the NCAA, NBA, and NBPA rules. The agencies are in the business of taking high level basketball talent and turning them into capital growth hedge funds. This is the OJ Mayo hedge fund directed by Bill Duffy and Associates. Guillory is a runner/money changer. Calvin Andrews is the point agent/account manager. Carmelo Anthony is the face of the Carmelo Anthony Hedge Fund, already a wild capital growth success story. His role is to recruit new talent to BDA so they can get their own hedge fund.

These agencies can talk to rising basketball talent whenever they want. No rules will stop them. If you try and stop them they are smarter than you. Profit, like life, will always find a way.

The NCAA is just a bball venue to the agencies. USC is just a member in the league. There's no real strategy used to send Mayo to USC. The only guarantees were that he WAS going to a Nike school and that it was going to be in a major basketball conference.
True. Good post

Back
Top Bottom