Obama wants to increase Your phone bill

http://uk.reuters.com/article/americasRegulatoryNes/idUKN2617163420090226
[h1]Obama proposes to boost public airwaves fees[/h1]
Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48pm GMT

WASHINGTON, Feb 26 (Reuters) - The Obama administration's proposed 2010 budget seeks to significantly boost the user fees the U.S. government chargesholders of public airwaves held by many telephone and wireless companies.

Yearly fees for spectrum licenses are proposed to rise to $200 million in 2010, from $50 million in 2009, according to the document posted on the Office ofManagement and Budget's Web site.

After that, the fees eventually increase to $550 million per user per year, totalling $4.8 billion over the next decade.

In the government's most recent spectrum auction, AT&T Inc(T.N) and Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Vodafone Group and VerizonCommunications (VZ.N) spentabout $16 billion to get access to the airwaves.

The Federal Communications Commission runs auctions for public spectrum.

So they want to charge them 4 times the fee initially then keep rising it yearly. I'm curious to see what this will do to end users bill.

Originally Posted by CoolLiquidFlames

Originally Posted by crcballer55

http://uk.reuters.com/article/americasRegulatoryNes/idUKN2617163420090226
[h1]Obama proposes to boost public airwaves fees[/h1]
Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:48pm GMT

WASHINGTON, Feb 26 (Reuters) - The Obama administration's proposed 2010 budget seeks to significantly boost the user fees the U.S. government charges holders of public airwaves held by many telephone and wireless companies.

Yearly fees for spectrum licenses are proposed to rise to $200 million in 2010, from $50 million in 2009, according to the document posted on the Office of Management and Budget's Web site.

After that, the fees eventually increase to $550 million per user per year, totalling $4.8 billion over the next decade.

In the government's most recent spectrum auction, AT&T Inc(T.N) and Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Vodafone Group and Verizon Communications (VZ.N) spent about $16 billion to get access to the airwaves.

The Federal Communications Commission runs auctions for public spectrum.

there's no way thats per customer...

They obviously mean the company i.e. the "user".

same ol' government, finding ways to 'tax' us while telling sheep that taxes are being 'cut'.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

Originally Posted by JefferyJay23

I'm willing to pay more if it helps the economy in any way.

QFT

..and that makes sense in what way?

The money is funneled into government coffers.
The same feds that "lost" $3 trillion of defense appropriations in less than a decade.
The same feds that admit that at least a 1/3 of Medicare billing is fraudulent i.e. hundreds of billions of $'s over the years.

See a pattern here?
laugh.gif

Is pre-paid affected by this. I wanted to get on a plan but if I'm going to be paying cable bill type prices then I'll stick to these minute cards.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Why not?
Because I would rather not pay a phone bill the size of a car note and I was wondering why a 4x increase on a necessity in a year is such a goodchoice

Obama making things worse already. How about he turn off half the lights in the white house, that'll probably save some money.

Back
Top Bottom