OBESITY IS A DISEASE, doctor's group says (article)

Personally I don't agree. Pricing on sugary non-healthy snacks are cheaper than healthy alternatives. Compiled with the growing societal shift to kids playing video games 24/7 and not going outside and exercising, american obesity is only gonna get worse.

Of course you have people with legit thyroid issues and other medical reasons, but I feel like they are in the minority.

These are just gut reactions, without any statistical proof.

not really bruh. last night at mcdonalds i got a medium mcflurry a big mac and large fries and it came out to 9.45 at in n out i coulda gotten the same meal for about 4-5 bucks. or i could go to the grocery store buy chicken and coook it for a couple bucks

Former fat *** checking in,
~182ish
Not a disease
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Former fat *** checking in,

Not a disease :lol:

Amazing bro. Props foreal. Now tell the naysayers what the deal is....

Thanks bro, appreciate it.

The deal is nothing but damn complacency and pure laziness, we're creatures of habit, introduce new stuff to your daily routine, and stick to it, and it's your new lifestyle.

**** that BS "but it's hard", it's a tired reply, but hey, if it makes you feel better about it then so be it, less people to get in my way when i'm hitting the gym :lol:

then don't buy salad at a fast food place. how much is a head of lettuce at the grocery store?

yes, eating healthy is less convenient, but it is definitely cheaper than fast food.

I don't buy salad at a fast food place I was just responding to him saying they sell salads at fast food places :lol:

Why are you at a fast food place to make healthy choices anyway? If you have a family I don't care how tired you say you are, take 20 mins out of your day and get in the kitchen. Feeding your children garbage to eat should be a punishable offense and is nothing more than negligence. People buy fast food because they're too lazy to cook themselves. If you have time to take a shower, time to watch TV, time to talk to a friend, then you have time to take care of yourself and your family.

I don't think some of y'all realize, being healthy isn't just eating better, it's a complete lifestyle change.

calm down bro if you want to force feed your kid kale smoothies and organic oreos that's on you

it should be a punishable offense to give my son a happy meal? :rofl: :rofl:

like I said it's more expensive to eat healthy .. I just don't feel like comparing and contrasting prices of similar items right now

then don't buy salad at a fast food place. how much is a head of lettuce at the grocery store?

yes, eating healthy is less convenient, but it is definitely cheaper than fast food.
I don't buy salad at a fast food place I was just responding to him saying they sell salads at fast food places
laugh.gif

Why are you at a fast food place to make healthy choices anyway? If you have a family I don't care how tired you say you are, take 20 mins out of your day and get in the kitchen. Feeding your children garbage to eat should be a punishable offense and is nothing more than negligence. People buy fast food because they're too lazy to cook themselves. If you have time to take a shower, time to watch TV, time to talk to a friend, then you have time to take care of yourself and your family.

I don't think some of y'all realize, being healthy isn't just eating better, it's a complete lifestyle change.
calm down bro if you want to force feed your kid kale smoothies and organic oreos that's on you

it should be a punishable offense to give my son a happy meal?
roll.gif
roll.gif

like I said it's more expensive to eat healthy .. I just don't feel like comparing and contrasting prices of similar items right now
I just gave you multiple examples of affordable, nutritious options.  I can keep going if you'd like.

yes its abuse to feed your kids poison, feeding your kids happy meals because you dont WANT to find the time to cook for them should be frowned upon

:rofl: @ you letting your kid decide what goes into their bodies, grow a backbone and set the rules, a kid will eat what you as the parent get them used to eating since a young age, believe you me, if since babies all they are eating is veggies and fruits, your kid will puke at the thought of fast food garbage.

This is absurd.  The other day I heard caffeine withdrawal is a disorder.

These doctor groups are making these things diseases and disorders so they proscribe you things that earn them money.

Obesity is based mostly on life choice.  Yes, if you've had large people in the family you have a higher chance of being bigger.

But eating twinkies (RIP), lil debbie snack cakes, chips, fast food, and drinking soda, do not help people's cause.

It seems personal responsibility doesn't exist in the United States anymore.

This is absurd.  The other day I heard caffeine withdrawal is a disorder.
These doctor groups are making these things diseases and disorders so they proscribe you things that earn them money.
Obesity is based mostly on life choice.  Yes, if you've had large people in the family you have a higher chance of being bigger.
But eating twinkies (RIP), lil debbie snack cakes, chips, fast food, and drinking soda, do not help people's cause.
It seems personal responsibility doesn't exist in the United States anymore.

/thread]

healthcare is nothing but a business!

Last edited:
The universe is cruel. Food that is bad for you triggers the happy chemicals in your brain when you eat them. All of those salty and sweet foods make you happy like drugs or sexual activity :smh:. I force myself to eat bowls of plain oatmeal while wishing it was a bacon cheeseburger.

Being fat doesn't necessarily mean your'e unhealthy though....obviously being obese you are pushing the body to work much harder and you're a lot more susceptible to disease and aren't healthy at all, but just b/c someone is a little thicker doesn't mean they're any less healthy than a skinny person...its about proportionality.

If you workout or exercise, run, do cardio on a consistent basis and you're not having 6 pack abs or anything, hell you could even still lack muscle tone you can still be perfectly healthy. Just because some are skinny doesn't mean they're healthy either....their HR, blood pressure etc can still be out of whack.

I don't think obesity is a disease either (aside from the smalllll amount of people with thyroid problems and things like that), I just don't think you can gauge how healthy someone is just by looking at them. I've seen "fat" people dust some skinny/avg. guys/girls in a lot of physical activities

Interesting!

I wonder if places like Burger Kings and McDonalds may be forced to ban/discriminate obese people from eating there or add an obese tax on food purchased there?
Word. Start turning fat people away like alcoholics at the bar. Before you know it, being obese is the new black and new gay

I don't buy salad at a fast food place I was just responding to him saying they sell salads at fast food places :lol:

it should be a punishable offense to give my son a happy meal? :rofl: :rofl:

You want to talk about saving money? You'll pay for it one way or another in the future with medical bills, and therapy. Tell me how much it costs to have double bypass surgery. Tell me how much it costs to recover from a heart attack. Tell me how much it costs to be dependent on medications. Everything comes right back to your wallet.

Word. Start turning fat people away like alcoholics at the bar. Before you know it, being obese is the new black and new gay

Bars turn away drunk people, not alcoholics. It's not up to the bar to determine who is an alcoholic or not, and refuse them service.

I just gave you multiple examples of affordable, nutritious options.  I can keep going if you'd like.

keep going if you wish too, you're telling me about meals I make in place of something. I'm telling you the side by side comparisons of the same item but the healthier version is more expensive. Do this for everything in your shopping cart there is bound to be atleast a $25 difference and maybe going from $175 to $200 in groceries isn't much to you but we all live different lives.

yes its abuse to feed your kids poison, feeding your kids happy meals because you dont WANT to find the time to cook for them should be frowned upon

:rofl: @ you letting your kid decide what goes into their bodies, grow a backbone and set the rules, a kid will eat what you as the parent get them used to eating since a young age, believe you me, if since babies all they are eating is veggies and fruits, your kid will puke at the thought of fast food garbage.

Dudes really in here acting like they cook every day unbelievable :lol: :lol:

For one grow a backbone? you're talking crazy don't be disrespectful. 4 chicken nuggets and a toy once a month doesn't hurt my kid

NT stay talking words out of context or to the extreme

keep going if you wish too, you're telling me about meals I make in place of something. I'm telling you the side by side comparisons of the same item but the healthier version is more expensive. Do this for everything in your shopping cart there is bound to be atleast a $25 difference and maybe going from $175 to $200 in groceries isn't much to you but we all live different lives.
Dudes really in here acting like they cook every day unbelievable :lol: :lol:

For one grow a backbone? you're talking crazy don't be disrespectful. 4 chicken nuggets and a toy once a month doesn't hurt my kid

NT stay talking words out of context or to the extreme

is it that hard to believe people do cook every day? if i don't have time to cook every day, i'll make a bunch of extra stuff when i do have time then throw it in the fridge for the week.

and nobody's saying that one kids meal a month is abuse or going to cause obesity. moderation is fine.

the whole point of this is that obesity is not a disease, it's a conscious decision that people make. i don't have a problem with people who are obese. i know plenty of people who are fat and happy being fat. it's the obese people who say it's not their fault and constantly make excuses that irks me.

the whole point of this is that obesity is not a disease, it's a conscious decision that people make. i don't have a problem with people who are obese. i know plenty of people who are fat and happy being fat. it's the obese people who say it's not their fault and constantly make excuses that irks me.

and my point was simply put, some people can not afford to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle

and my point was simply put, some people can not afford to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle

Bull effing S. Yes they can. Go to Costco, buy a sack of beans, some bulk brown rice, a bag of frozen chicken breasts and some non-organic veggies. Boom, I just fed you for a week, and for far less than eating fast food every day.

/thread]

For the most part being obese is a choice, except for the few with the legit medical problems.

If this gets people to wake up and get proactive with their life Im all for it.

Not surprised though.

breakfast - toast and a piece of fruit - ~$1
lunch - home made salad ~ $2-3
dinner - chicken breast and some veggies - ~$2-3

people who say they can't afford it are making excuses, period.

it's not glamorous, it's not the most fun way to eat, but it's healthy and gets the job done. stop treating food as an activity and start treating it as fuel.

/thread]

came in here to say this. Its not a disease but they will treat it as such so they can make them $$. Give the people another reason to spend money on things they could have prevented.

its like saying aging is a disease and the treatment is botox

Back
Top Bottom