OBESITY IS A DISEASE, doctor's group says (article)

Former fat *** checking in,
~182ish
Not a disease
laugh.gif
Congrats to you!!!
I agree that it is a disease, it's a mental disease.
Addictions are far from a choice famb..go to an AA meeting or a drug addict and say "why don't you just stop?" And see what happens. The ignorance..
If you've never been addicted to anything u have no place to tell people that all they have to do is make a choice to stop
Agreed.
i just dont understand how a person can get so big.
fat people are hilarious.
You both don't know what some people go through in their lives. Everyone deals with deals with stress in their lives on a daily basis, but it's handled differently by each person. Examples of stress could be a flat tire, hole in your favorite pair of shoes, misplacing your car/house keys, death of your pet, death/loss of a family member/close friend, break up/mental strain in a relationship, doing well in school, long hours at work, etc., etc,.. There are those that know how to manage stress the best way. And there are those that don't know the best ways to handle stress and may use different things( such as sex, food, cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, etc.) as a coping mechanism or a tool to help them deal with stress. They feel in their minds that using this coping mechanism (or food) is the only way to ease the tension in their lives, not knowing that they're becoming an addict and even ultimately ruining their mental/physical health. So just like any other addict, these people need help just like everyone else. It all starts in the mind, not just the body.

Being fat is a DISEASE of the mind. Their mind has accepted the habits of destruction to their body.

This disease stems from socialization of acceptance of being less than what you are capable of.

Being obese should be illegal. I say put em in jail. If you give people 1 year to go from obese to simply overweight status and if they don't they go to jail. I'm pretty damn sure almost all of them could do it.

After watching that documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (about drinking juice basically) I can say with 100% certainty that being obese is a choice. It's not an addiction. It's about changing habits.

I really think if you took all the obese people in the world and put them in a camp together (like those summer kid camps lose weight shows) for a year you could get em to be Spartans by the end of it. There is nothing stopping these people except their mind. I hate it. I hate them for being so weak. I hate the world for allowing such weakness.

I got fat too. I worked a new job in a new state, got stressed out, drank Thursday to Sunday, ate three big meals a day and I got ridiculously out of shape and overweight. I looked terrible. I didn't even realize it. I could still pick up chicks, still do decently okay at basketball. Then one day I took a picture and there was no denying it. I looked awful compared to who I could be. It took me 3 months to get back to reasonableness. It taught me a life lesson about cooking food, not drinking often, etc etc. There is no excuse to be fat for years and years. It is just weakness of habit. Anyone can have good habits, but most fat people aren't willing to even try to change their habits. If they started with something as simple as walking for 30 minutes every day for one month they could build momemtum.

I don't know why this one topic, over all others in the world, makes me so mad. Maybe because it is the only one that individual people can alter so easily. It doesn't cost anything extra. It makes you feel good. Argh. I'm just getting frustrated thinking about it lol. And now i want pizza to watch game 7 with.

That might be my new sig for your complete ignorance. I mean wow, like did you really just say that? You know how discriminative you sound and you were even fat before?

Last edited:
I used to weigh 265 a year ago. Last i weighed myself (around march of this year) i was down to 227. I felt so good seeing that number. :pimp:
Aside from changing my eating habits and walking considerably more, I don't know how i lost so much weight. :lol:

Last edited:
Being fat is a DISEASE of the mind. Their mind has accepted the habits of destruction to their body.

This disease stems from socialization of acceptance of being less than what you are capable of.

Being obese should be illegal. I say put em in jail. If you give people 1 year to go from obese to simply overweight status and if they don't they go to jail. I'm pretty damn sure almost all of them could do it.

After watching that documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (about drinking juice basically) I can say with 100% certainty that being obese is a choice. It's not an addiction. It's about changing habits.

I really think if you took all the obese people in the world and put them in a camp together (like those summer kid camps lose weight shows) for a year you could get em to be Spartans by the end of it. There is nothing stopping these people except their mind. I hate it. I hate them for being so weak. I hate the world for allowing such weakness.

I got fat too. I worked a new job in a new state, got stressed out, drank Thursday to Sunday, ate three big meals a day and I got ridiculously out of shape and overweight. I looked terrible. I didn't even realize it. I could still pick up chicks, still do decently okay at basketball. Then one day I took a picture and there was no denying it. I looked awful compared to who I could be. It took me 3 months to get back to reasonableness. It taught me a life lesson about cooking food, not drinking often, etc etc. There is no excuse to be fat for years and years. It is just weakness of habit. Anyone can have good habits, but most fat people aren't willing to even try to change their habits. If they started with something as simple as walking for 30 minutes every day for one month they could build momemtum.

I don't know why this one topic, over all others in the world, makes me so mad. Maybe because it is the only one that individual people can alter so easily. It doesn't cost anything extra. It makes you feel good. Argh. I'm just getting frustrated thinking about it lol. And now i want pizza to watch game 7 with.
I think u went way to far into the deep in end about putting obese people in the slammer. I'm all about fighting for your weakness but that's going to far

I understand the science behind addiction..

But getting fat is external and something you wake up to and notice getting progressively worse each and every day. What goes on in your mind that convinces you to just keep doing the same thing?

Is the dopamine high when you eat food really that great?

I understand the science behind addiction..

But getting fat is external and something you wake up to and notice getting progressively worse each and every day. What goes on in your mind that convinces you to just keep doing the same thing?

Is the dopamine high when you eat food really that great?
Same reason a meth addict wakes up everyday and notices his physical, social and mental health deteriorating everyday. What goes on in their minds that convinces them to keep doing the same thing. That is the definition of addiction.

Same reason a meth addict wakes up everyday and notices his physical, social and mental health deteriorating everyday. What goes on in their minds that convinces them to keep doing the same thing. That is the definition of addiction.

Comparing an intravenous drug to food isn't a good comparison at all. The severity of the two vary greatly, though the mental addiction maybe the same.

No way on Earth food is as addictive as meth fam. Come on.

Meth is a chemical/physical addiction that is a lot stronger than food though. And people on meth that scratch themselves excessively and end up with sores all over, dry skin and bad teeth etc are much less aware of it than a fat person would be of themselves being fat.

I definitely understand people talking about using food as a coping mechanism for stress or having stronger cravings/addictions to food. Hell, I say all the time I'd much rather go a month without drinking or smoking than a month without pizza :lol: In fact I do it all the time. While I enjoy both of those things I've never become addicted to or dependent on them the way I used to be (and sometime still can be) with food. I personally have a much tougher time resisting certain foods than I do with any drugs/alcohol.

In college I was working about 90-100+ a week one semester. I pretty much got up at 8, worked until 2am or later and did nothing else besides eat, and I worked most weekends. I often would get a Totino's party pizza and some chips as a late night snack to reward myself for working so hard/ to unwind. That was usually the best part of my day :lol:

I put on like 40 lbs that semester and got all the way up to 250. That summer I got so disgusted with myself and worried for my health that I finally took the initiative to change my diet and make sure I exercised. I dropped 25 lbs over the summer and 35 more when I got back to school. I was still working long hours but I made sure to not eat late at night, eat healthier foods and exercise.

Anyone saying they don't have time to exercise or eat better is usually lying. With all the resources available online, for free, you can very easily learn what you should and shouldn't eat. Even if you aren't going all out and cooking vegetables for yourself every day you can still make good choices, avoid fast food and exercise a few times a week and you won't be obese. Up until I was in middle school, my dad weighed 300 lbs and we ate TERRIBLY. My dad used to have a coke with breakfast and we'd sometimes go to Mcdonald's twice in one day :lol: My dad's father, who was not overweight but ate poorly, died of a heart attack when my dad was only 12 years old. One night I woke up to the sound of an ambulance and the next morning found out my dad was in the hospital. He didn't have a heart attack but the doc said he was extremely fortunate that he hadn't.

In less than a year, my dad had dropped to 175 lbs and completely altered his lifestyle. He ate no red meat, no caffeine/sodas, no bleached flour, no processed food, very little sugar. Just vegetables, fish, beans, brown rice, etc etc. The only exercise he ever did was about a half mile walk in the evening when he got home from work and he lost 125 lbs in less than a year. He didn't take any special supplements or diet pills; he didn't staple his stomach; he didn't pay for a gym membership; he just made smart choices because he realized how much he wanted to be there to see me grow up and have kids of my own. He wanted to be there for me the way his father couldn't be for him.

So honestly, I think it's a load of crap to expect insurance or employers to pay for treatment of a disease that you can either cause, prevent, or cure on your own. I realize some people may have depression or other mental issues that can result in weight gain, but other than that it just comes down to laziness/lack of initiative.

Last edited:
Where in that post did I say food is as addictive as meth?
nerd.gif

I had to go back and read it again to make sure I never said that. What the hell are you people reading?

I was responding to someone saying obese people have external consequences of their actions, so it should be added motivation to stop eating. I gave an example of an addiction that also has"external" consequences. I never said that drug was AS ADDICTIVE AS FOOD. There are drugs you get addicted to the first few times you try it (Eg. crack) and others it takes a longer period of habitual use (alcohol, food).

Last edited:
I was a little chubby as a kid. When I turned 14 I magically became skinny, and now at 26 I am in great shape. I eat whatever I want, I drink more than I should :smh:, but I workout 4-5 times a week and am in great shape.

I feel bad to say it, but I kind of negatively judge obese people. There are two new transfers at my job, both are obese, one seems to be pretty cool so far, so he's fine with me, but the other one is a complete d**k. You can't be obese and treat people like crap..... and I've met so many obese people who treat everyone else horribly. Probably why I have a negative connotation.... :smh:

I do my best to treat everyone I meet with the same respect I would want, but SO many obese people have been so disrespectful to me, I don't respect them.

eat less calories=weight loss

obesity isnt a disease, its a poor excuse.

Where in that post did I say food is as addictive as meth?
nerd.gif

I had to go back and read it again to make sure I never said that. What the hell are you people reading?

I was responding to someone saying obese people have external consequences of their actions, so it should be added motivation to stop eating. I gave an example of an addiction that also has"external" consequences. I never said that drug was AS ADDICTIVE AS FOOD. There are drugs you get addicted to the first few times you try it (Eg. crack) and others it takes a longer period of habitual use (alcohol, food).
I'll give you a free pass since you had to have just joined...

But NT isn't full of typical message board idiots b.

From your reply it is heavily implied in your post a direct comparison to the effects of meth on the psyche and food addiction. In a topic about obesity, I'll bold YOUR poor word choice that would imply this comparison.
tumblr_static_coolshades.gif

The reading comprehension skills on his site must be abysmal. What I said was about the similar psychopathology of addiction, it said nothing about severity. The reason why people over eat although it harms them is the same reason people drink although it harms them. That speaks nothing to the severity of each addiction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom