December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

yuke yuke TAIGAA (TAIGAA)
TAIGAAMASUKU

1. Misawa thought long and hard before that leap to the turnbuckle.

2. What stands out, as it always does with 80s wrestling from Japan, is the atmosphere. I wish I was born 15 years early so I could experience this in the living flesh. That era was so mystical to me. (I feel that way about the 80s PERIOD)

3. :wow: @ That High spinning back kick he hit Tenry with. My goodness.

4. Missed Diving Sentons always seem like they hurt like hell.

5. 1980's version of a Ganso bomb by Tenryu?

6. No idea what either one of them were doing @ 14:00

"Cool match."
Tenryus powerbomb has always been a little “funny” and inconsistent, but maybe he dropped “Tiger” at a higher angle here cause he was mad about getting dropped on his head for a suplex earlier in the match

Tenryus powerbomb has always been a little “funny” and inconsistent, but maybe he dropped “Tiger” at a higher angle here cause he was mad about getting dropped on his head for a suplex earlier in the match
Yea, he did the same vs. The GREAT Okada.

His Brainbuster was always weak too.

Thanks for the historicals.

I plan on digging more into 80s AJPW

Monday Night Nitro, 11th Dec. 1995, Review

Intro/Eddie Guerrero vs. Mr. JL

What an odd cold opening, couple of announcements and no intros to the wrestlers. Then a random bell rings and the commentators act surprised as if they didn't even know wrestlers were even in the ring. Second to that, it's very odd that Eddie Guerrero gets mentioned a lot. You see them go gaga over him on Monday nights, he gets main events on Saturday nights, gets talked up tremendously, and yet I can't recall once where he's had a mic and been given 30 seconds to cut a promo. The match was fun while it lasted, nice ending to it.

Jimmy Hart and Lex Luger with Mean Gene
It's funny when wrestlers get lost in though, a theme that will go on through the program (see: Pillman), but there are just certain people that you are excited to see botch as bad as they do. Sid, Scott Steiner, and the Ultimate Warrior all come to mind. Luger is right there with them.

Disco Inferno vs. Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff
We have a confusing match... who is the heel? Mr. Wonderfuls walk out music and persona is so cheesy, it's good stuff. What is the point of this match, we'd find out later. As far as the match itself, nothing exciting at all. Buried Disco for no real reason. You wasted months of him being a jackass comical heel to turn around and have him job out. Real weird decision, then loses on a simple back drop. Disco sold the last 5 minutes like it was the most devastating thing he ever felt though.

The Horseman with Mean Gene
And now we get to why they needed Mr. Wonderful out there, it was to set up the Horseman. As I said, it is always enjoyable to watch someone giving a promo it's great to see them get lost. Pillman lost his entire mind during his time, you can see Ric getting annoyed. His face going what in the blue hell are you talking about. Loved how the Horseman subtly surrounded Paul and then group beat down, good to see within a faction. Not gonna go buck and jump one of ours, spike pile driver. They really sold the hell out of that neck injury too.

Lex Luger vs Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Why do we have Duggan in this match, in this position, and Looking Strong?! It makes no sense. Lex is going into a triple threat for the title and was made to look so weak, he bumped and sold all over the place. Terrible all around.

Macho Man with Mean Gene
Lost during a promo part 3

Horseman vs Sting and Hulk Hogan
The match itself was a good build. Good to see the distance between Sting and Hulk, lots of passive aggressive friction there. It's not a Sting/Flair encounter without a huge gorilla press slam. The no sell of the spine buster by Hogan hurt my heart, such a good work. The addition of Lugar and Jimmy Hart was odd. I can understand why going into the triple threat but with all the people it just seemed very messy. Match overall was fine. But this ending man... what in the blue hell. Sting blows his spot, Savage sells regardless, Mean Gene on the spot, a weird "Hey we don't like your friend, he can't sit with us" ending. This is the equivalent of mean girls in a wrestling ring, so odd. I do like this commentator summary, very good way to end the show and go into the next week to get you excited about what's to come, live narration put to good us.

danger style danger style Last thing.

Do you still have that "WH Park's Best of the 80" link that you posted a while ago? 🤔
1603236639154.png

i put you on a good match and this is what i get?

I've had about enough of this disrespect. D Fly D Fly you were right about him :smh:

Case Case
@ITO

With DSotR being 14 episodes next season, which topics do you guys think would make good episodes?

Bischoff already said that he's worked on 2:

1.WCW show in North Korea
2.Brian Pillman's death

I was thinking of a few episodes:

1. Yokozuna
2. The Graham family
3. Ringboy scandal
4.Arn vs Sid
5.Chyna
6.George Zahorian
7.Buck Zumhofe
8.Vince/Nails
9.Steroid trial

10. Vince McMahon or God?WWE
11. The Fanboy Trial
12. Everything's Fine (COVID-19)
13. #SpeakingOut
14. Pat Patterson

Case Case
@ITO

With DSotR being 14 episodes next season, which topics do you guys think would make good episodes?

2.Brian Pillman's death

1. Yokozuna
2. The Graham family
3. Ringboy scandal
4.Arn vs Sid
5.Chyna
6.George Zahorian
7.Buck Zumhofe
8.Vince/Nails
9.Steroid trial

Ken Patera and Masa Saito McDonald's/Waukesha Police Department incident

Plane Ride From Hell

Rob Feinstein Incident

Case Case
@ITO

2.Brian Pillman's death

1. Yokozuna
2. The Graham family
3. Ringboy scandal
4.Arn vs Sid
5.Chyna
6.George Zahorian
7.Buck Zumhofe
8.Vince/Nails
9.Steroid trial

Top of my head, feel like I said some of these before but:

The British Bulldogs story
Andre the Giant drinking stories
Booking Kevin Sullivan - story about his booking, Woman, Benoit
King of Memphis - Jerry Lawler
Sunny Days

It is wild they included Rey when he didn't debut until May of that year. Which was around the time the "tournament" ended.

Also crazy how they included Kanemoto and Akira Nogami.

THoughts/COmments?

Peep Game Peep Game
noblekane noblekane
ihust1e ihust1e
Canadian Destroyer Canadian Destroyer
@ITO
degenerate423 degenerate423
Case Case
King of Trash Style King of Trash Style
JCMojica24 JCMojica24
tramericanjr tramericanjr
rwfanatic rwfanatic

Aside from the beyond outdated promo, I really liked World feel to it. Germany, Japan, USA, Canada, Mexico all represented. Seems like it could have been something bigger.

Side note, I always wonder why they don’t make winning something like this a bigger deal, trophy for a tournament, streamers thrown, whatever else I’ve seen. Random card/ring girls presenting... whatever the hell else. They just don’t make things as important as they should be.

Benoit was seen as a crusierweight?

Aside from the beyond outdated promo, I really liked World feel to it. Germany, Japan, USA, Canada, Mexico all represented. Seems like it could have been something bigger.

Side note, I always wonder why they don’t make winning something like this a bigger deal, trophy for a tournament, streamers thrown, whatever else I’ve seen. Random card/ring girls presenting... whatever the hell else. They just don’t make things as important as they should be.

Benoit was seen as a crusierweight?
Well not to spoil reality, WCW FAKED the tournament. They gave random updates during B/C-Shows saying, "So and So has advanced in the US/Mexican/Japan branch of the tournament." BUt it never actually happened. Bischoff admitted to it.

However, there WAS a "finals" match that took place between Benoit and Shinjiro Ohtani (In Japan). (We can watch it when the time comes on our timeline).

Yes, Benoit was ALWAYS a Junior up until WCW decided not to use him in the division. Prior to that, in Japan, he wrestled exclusively in the Jr. division.

Well not to spoil reality, WCW FAKED the tournament. They gave random updates during B/C-Shows saying, "So and So has advanced in the US/Mexican/Japan branch of the tournament." BUt it never actually happened. Bischoff admitted to it.

However, there WAS a "finals" match that took place between Benoit and Shinjiro Ohtani (In Japan). (We can watch it when the time comes on our timeline).

Yes, Benoit was ALWAYS a Junior up until WCW decided not to use him in the division. Prior to that, in Japan, he wrestled exclusively in the Jr. division.

That’s absolutely hilarious. What a waste of time and furthers my point. Why not just do it, build stars, go from there. That’s hilarious, looking forward to that.

Never knew, good history on Benoit.

That’s absolutely hilarious. What a waste of time and furthers my point. Why not just do it, build stars, go from there. That’s hilarious, looking forward to that.

Never knew, good history on Benoit.
I figure they wouldn't have predicted "Gossip Hour" would eventually dominate the wrestling industry. They figured it would have never gotten out.

It didn't even happen? :lol:

It is wild they included Rey when he didn't debut until May of that year. Which was around the time the "tournament" ended.

Also crazy how they included Kanemoto and Akira Nogami.

THoughts/COmments?

Peep Game Peep Game
noblekane noblekane
ihust1e ihust1e
Canadian Destroyer Canadian Destroyer
@ITO
degenerate423 degenerate423
Case Case
King of Trash Style King of Trash Style
JCMojica24 JCMojica24
tramericanjr tramericanjr
rwfanatic rwfanatic

Mostly reminded me of how many guys WCW had under contract. What a massive roster :lol: never really thought about Disco as a CW but mostly cause I rarely paid attention to him anyway. Also a reminded of how much bigger Eddie and Benoit started getting over the years. The amount of pure mass they put on up until their deaths was crazy.

Case Case
@ITO

2.Brian Pillman's death

1. Yokozuna
2. The Graham family
3. Ringboy scandal
4.Arn vs Sid
5.Chyna
6.George Zahorian
7.Buck Zumhofe
8.Vince/Nails