January Wrestling Thread/NTWT Jobber Of The Week D Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always interesting to see where people's tastes lie.

Jericho has damn near 3x as many votes as everyone and is so highly loved/respected.

That should tell you something.

Surprised Omega is so high

1571172101483.png

Yo Jemeles, you ain’t tell me this show had a War Games/Doimsday Cage/American Gladiators type match in it!!..

Reading the Liger section :lol:

"Hot take which will probably be excused as a 'newbie'/'attention-seeking' comment: Liger is massively overrated. I know he is a 'legend', but that's mostly just because he got pushed as such. My issue is that he simply never impressed me as much as his contemporaries. Straight up: his offence was painfully average.

These days people love to say Liger "looks like he hasn't missed a step! "... but that's more a criticism of his work at his 'peak', because he NEVER looked like a proper athlete. I have honestly yet to see a match from Liger in his 90s that has shown me evidence of his supposed legendary in-ring work. The guy had creative moves, but compared to the likes of Sayama, Otani, Kanemoto, Ultimo Dragon, and Minoru Tanaka, he simply wasn't as acrobatic, intense, flexible, athletic, or energetic. Liger's limbs would flail all over the place when delivering an aerial move, and his body-shape made him look like a flying bag of potatoes.

His chemistry also wasn't anything special; I can't remember too many fluidly constructed sequences he was part of. Thus I struggled getting excited for much of Liger's offence, because his movements and attacks didn't look finely polished like so many other 90s juniors. Liger still produced plenty of very good performances, but all of his 'great' matches I would argue were ones he was mostly carried in by his opponent. God, I can only imagine how heretical what I'm saying must sound to like 99% of puro fans lol.

Well, let me now mention the positives of Liger: Firstly, I actually enjoy his work in the 2010s WAY more than any other era. He plays the veteran role extremely well, and because he isn't bothering with as many lame aerial attacks he is able to focus more on getting his character's passion across and showing off his power moves (which were always his speciality imo), so he's MUCH more enjoyable to watch in the current day. To my mind, Liger's 2017 match with Taichi was his greatest performance."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom