January Wrestling Thread/Tonight NXT 8PM EST/RIP Mean Gene Okerlaud

Let's get the day started on a positive note..
I call this post "Chocolate Thunder"..
n3.gif
n4.gif

ts1.gif
ts3.gif
ts4.jpg
9661C609-30D5-4AF7-9FB4-C7EF782435E8.gif

WWE Raw preview (Oct. 22, 2018): Outshined

196_RAW_10152018jg_3320__fcfd344ff238f9920b52a439f75e8b19.0.jpg
WWE.com
WWE is starting a busy week in Providence, Rhode Island.

The Headliner(s)
We all know why WWE’s muted the promotion of the other pay-per-view (PPV) on their calendar for next week, Nov. 2’s Crown Jewel. But as a side-effect, they’ve kept the volume down on the top men’s belt. Which might be by design as a way to make something other than Universal champion Roman Reigns the focus of fans’ ire for a change. But after Brock Lesnar’s lengthy reign, you’d think they’d have wanted to use all the feelings people have about the Big Dog to make the title feel important for the first time in its existence.

Adding to the weirdness was the decision to turn Braun Strowman, one of their most popular characters/performers, in order to face Reigns. But is he really? Facing Roman, that is. Yes, they battled to a no contest at Hell in a Cell during a match (which also removed Strowman’s Money in the Bank briefcase from the equation). But even the build to that was overshadowed by the reforming of The Shield, and Strowman recruiting his own allies. Sure, Paul Heyman shows up every once in a while to remind us his client has a rematch coming, but when neither of his opponents appear that concerned...

And they’re not concerned because the post-HiaC story has been even more about the two groups. More puzzling, it’s been about the fighting within the teams as much as it’s been about Strowman vs. Reigns (vs. Lesnar, but we knew he wasn’t coming back to promote his payday in the desert). We’ve been so inundated with variations of matches between Hounds of Justice and Dogs of War that there’s nothing special about Braun and Roman facing off any more.

Even worse, the buzz coming out of last week’s show was about a program between Strowman and Drew McIntyre. And I’m looking forward to that too! But that they’re selling, and we’re buying, a possible future match, says a lot about what everyone thinks of the next one on the calendar.

The title scene
Sticking with that story, because even though it’s not doing a great job selling one of the main events for Crown Jewel, it’s the one Raw spends what feels like 90% of its three hour runtime on each week, Dean Ambrose is a wild card! Does that mean he’s going to go after the tag team belts held by Strowman’s teammates/sparring partners McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler? His brother Seth Rollins’ Intercontinental title? We don’t know! Wild card, b****es!

It will probably be a short match with little suspense about the outcome, but Nikki Bella challenging Ronda Rousey for her Women’s championship is a ‘reality’ era train wreck featuring two big personalities. That’s getting a lot of folks excited, and that excitement has reportedly led to a pike in ticket sales for Evolution. And that is the point of this whole exercise so... sorry Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair and so-called “smart” fans. Everybody else, enjoy the ride.

Other stuff to keep an eye on:
- Crown Jewel has another main event, and it’s all about money. Er, we mean respect. And legacy. Just kidding. It’s all about money. Triple H didn’t mention it on SmackDown 1000, so Shawn Michaels is rumored to show up tonight to respond Undertaker & Kane’s boiler room promo from last Monday. And probably confirm how soon after Nov. 2 he can expect his check.

- Old H-B-Shizzle probably won’t be the only Legend showing up this week. Trish Stratus & Lita could probably use a week off after last week’s disastrous promo, but there are lots of other ladies coming back for Evolution, and they’ll probably start stating their own cases for a the future title shot on the line in Sunday’s battle royal.

- Last week he mostly just worked a Mixed Match Challenge showcase match with Bayley, but Finn Bálor does appear to be in the crosshairs of Bobby Lashley and his manager Lio Rush.

- And now that Sasha Banks is back, the Hugster may have something to do with another partner, anyway. The Boss ‘n’ Hug Connection aided Natalya against The Riott Squad a week ago, so you connect the dots.

- While many of us are entertained by Kurt Angle’s costuming choices, Baron Corbin is not happy his old boss is back.

- Elias vs. Apollo Crews is a feud which is not only happening, but earned one of five bullet points in WWE.com’s official preview for this episode.

It’s the Evolution ‘go home’ show / Two weeks until Crown Jewel!

What will you be looking for on Raw tonight?

Why The Miz thinks he’ll never get the respect he deserves

By Meangene45
029_mizmrs104_fullshow_ipv.00968__d8cca90ce7118d4214990c7da893dc22.0.jpg
WWE.com
Long before he was The Miz on WWE television, one of the best heels in the business and, you could argue, one of the last actual heels in the industry, he was Mike Mizanin, a painfully lame dude appearing on The Real World season 10. And make no doubt about it, he was nothing like the charismatic, polished performer you see on SmackDown Live each week. Painfully lame is being nice about it.

You wouldn’t have been wrong to think he was there because he had a story they could sell, and he was loud. Or, rather, he was talentless. Of course, we know now that’s not the case, but his appearing on reality television at all is why he believes he’ll never get the respect he deserves in professional wrestling.

As he told The Mirror:

“I will never get the respect I deserve, because I was on a reality show. Whenever you’re on a reality show, you’re the scum of the earth. You have no talent, you’re a nothing and you deserve nothing. That’s the way I’ve been brought up and how I feel people look at reality [television]. Do I look at it that way? Absolutely not; I thank my lucky stars I was on a show like The Real World on MTV and I thank them for putting me on that show because it gave me the ability to say ‘I can do anything I want with my life.’”

He’s been a success story, no question, but reality television is what it is and he’s the exception, not the norm. That said, there’s definitely an argument to be made he doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

That’s a damn shame, too, because he’s consistently one of the most entertaining acts on literally any show he’s featured on.

Man I woke up in a good mood, my back was only hurting at about a 5/10, and didn't hit any traffic on the way to drop my son off at school..And even with all that I still hate pretty much all y'all..And I'ma hate myself for watching RAW tonight too..

Brother Case Case with the ether
upload_2018-10-22_9-42-50.jpeg

After dating Enzo, LIV has no choice, but to convert.

You know who’s really Living HIS Best Life Lil DuVal style? Buddy Murphy.

Putting on some the best matches not just in WWE, but the world. The common denominator in anything great on 205 Live, and successfully beat out becoming more than Mr. Alexa Bliss. With his look and matches, I completely expect to see him on Fox’s Smackdown Live next year. Him vs. Andrade, DB, and AJ in 2020, if not sooner.

Why The Miz thinks he’ll never get the respect he deserves

By Meangene45
029_mizmrs104_fullshow_ipv.00968__d8cca90ce7118d4214990c7da893dc22.0.jpg
WWE.com
Long before he was The Miz on WWE television, one of the best heels in the business and, you could argue, one of the last actual heels in the industry, he was Mike Mizanin, a painfully lame dude appearing on The Real World season 10. And make no doubt about it, he was nothing like the charismatic, polished performer you see on SmackDown Live each week. Painfully lame is being nice about it.

You wouldn’t have been wrong to think he was there because he had a story they could sell, and he was loud. Or, rather, he was talentless. Of course, we know now that’s not the case, but his appearing on reality television at all is why he believes he’ll never get the respect he deserves in professional wrestling.

As he told The Mirror:

“I will never get the respect I deserve, because I was on a reality show. Whenever you’re on a reality show, you’re the scum of the earth. You have no talent, you’re a nothing and you deserve nothing. That’s the way I’ve been brought up and how I feel people look at reality [television]. Do I look at it that way? Absolutely not; I thank my lucky stars I was on a show like The Real World on MTV and I thank them for putting me on that show because it gave me the ability to say ‘I can do anything I want with my life.’”

He’s been a success story, no question, but reality television is what it is and he’s the exception, not the norm. That said, there’s definitely an argument to be made he doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

That’s a damn shame, too, because he’s consistently one of the most entertaining acts on literally any show he’s featured on.

His lack of respect has nothing to do with reality tv..It has to do with his doughy body, his weak looking moves, his constant botches, and his boring matches..He's a terrible wrestler and an average at best sports entertainer..So eff him and his hawk faced wife..

His lack of respect has nothing to do with reality tv..It has to do with his doughy body, his weak looking moves, his constant botches, and his boring matches..He's a terrible wrestler and an average at best sports entertainer..So eff him and his hawk faced wife..

Ether

Back
Top Bottom