Of Mics and Men: Wu Tang 4-part doc on Showtime 5/10/2019

Power & Divine was eattttttin on everything.

luckily da power of WU is strong enough to keep it together...

that HOT 97 ban was ill.... changed da whole landscape of NYC at da time.
Would y'all NY dudes say that was the start of NY losing their sound? After the golden era with Kane/G Rap/Rakim they introduced the updated/innovative NY sound and you ban them.

Bobbito had me dying, saying I hear Karate and swords. What the **** is this ****?

It was cool hearing them talk about Staten Island. When I was young you always heard that **** about Staten Island. Funny hearing about them getting chased by wypipo and years later, it seems like wypipo make up the biggest amount of their fanbase.

GFK and RZA arguing about who saw the movie first had me dying.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds the RZA/Cilvaringz relationship odd? :lol:

Homie was essentially a Wu groupie and then he’s going on solo trips and doing shows with the RZA? And the kicker is that he sucks as a rapper lol.

There’s gotta be more to the story here.

I think buddy comes from money. That’s the only explanation. He’s the epitome of a GOPHER

Seems like most of them would’ve been more financially secured today, had they still trusted Divine and his long term vision.

Would’ve been dope if Wu would’ve owned those city blocks and commercial property in Staten Island

Their story is similar to the EPMD story. They probably was bitter with a Divine, think he was taking a lot of money when in actuality, he was investing. They messed up their money, and He maximized his. That happens a lot.

You can’t pocket watch someone in the long-run, after they told you how to funnel your money in different lanes. If you go broke, that’s on you.

Who was that Def Jam suit "Jared" who didn't know who Rza was when he came into the office to release ODB?

What's up man I'm Jared, what's your name?
Rza: You don't know my name?
Oh you're Rza! You're a lot taller...
Rza: :stoneface:
That was ODB's manager. That was wild.

That was ODB's manager. That was wild.

Yeah you right. Just did a quick google search. Dude seemed extra slimy and based on what I'm reading, was a leech just trying to cash in on Dirty's last ditch efforts to make money.

Jarred Weisfeld, the guy who used to manage Ol' Dirty Bastard, couldn't make any money from Ol' Dirty's music, so now he's gonna try to sue a girl who wrote a book about him.

Dope most of them were here for this. Interviewer sucks though.

DJ Juanito is da resident punching bag on da hot 97 morning show...he's a DJ/behind da scenes audio visual dude by trade..guess they giving him more of a leash.

Yeah I had no clue about Cilva Ringz and will never. Interesting relationship.

It was a good watch, I ended up watching all 4.

Divine seem a little suspect. I like how RZA kept saying these are my brothers, I don’t want to lock any of them down.

Interesting his relationship with ODB when he got out of jail.

I’ve never been a big Wu fan. Too many members and a lot of them beats was wack to me but damn they could rap their ****in asses off.

Great doc, but even with 4 parts I was still left wanting more and felt that a lot was left out. Would love to see all the interview footage.

Great doc, but even with 4 parts I was still left wanting more and felt that a lot was left out. Would love to see all the interview footage.

I wanted more on their affiliates for sure. Some of those dudes and groups were so good but completely hidden from the mainstream.

Would y'all NY dudes say that was the start of NY losing their sound? After the golden era with Kane/G Rap/Rakim they introduced the updated/innovative NY sound and you ban them.
I mean I guess you could say that was the very start of it but the reality that NY was losing its signature sound only became evident in the ewrly to mid 2000s. Cuz thats when the south was on the rise taking over the airways and you look over to the east they dont have the same authenticity and quality on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

badboy/Roca-fella/ruff ryders were da next empires up after da Wu as a group was knocked down a peg... interesting enough, method & redman were DEFINITELY not banned from hot 97, that black out album was in full rotation. Supreme clientele & bulletproof wallets definitely suffered radio play, but da albums were so classic, it got kayslay spins late night & BET rotation.

I would say mid 2000s is when **** started going left for NY. Not only was the South coming up but you also had established Midwestern artists like Em, Kanye, Nelly (if you consider him Midwest) and of course the West Coast artists. More people had the Internet, had more access to music outside of NYC. That combination of the internet’s expansion and more rappers emerging from different regions created the perfect storm for NYC’s fall from grace.

I would say mid 2000s is when **** started going left for NY. Not only was the South coming up but you also had established Midwestern artists like Em, Kanye, Nelly (if you consider him Midwest) and of course the West Coast artists. More people had the Internet, had more access to music outside of NYC. That combination of the internet’s expansion and more rappers emerging from different regions created the perfect storm for NYC’s fall from grace.

if you want da exact day...it was Lloyd banks rotten apple & Cam'ron killa season release..thats when i knew NY was on trouble.

Back
Top Bottom