Off-White x Air Jordan Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

Nike supposedly did postpone those OW blazer lows "indefinitely" until Virgil's family decide if they wanna move forward with Virgil and Nike designs. If it does indeed happen, that relationship is only going to go for so long because Nike will definitely try to helm the ship on the final design and production numbers. And at that point, it'll just be Nike using Virgil's name as an advantage to sell their designs.

Personally, I don't think the shoes that were rumored to release will see the light of day, aka the bred 4's and the canary 1's. Those blazer lows were originally scheduled to drop this december so the production is already done and pairs were likely available for retail if the release date was not suspended. And like skaterplayer said, the Kobe situation was a good example of how greedy Nike was and how we'll likely see the same thing happen with Virgil's designs.

I hate that you’re right about this. And I bet Travis currently being swallowed alive in controversy is making Nike somehow even more inclined to milk the OW hype for as much as they possibly can by doing this.

And like skaterplayer said, the Kobe situation was a good example of how greedy Nike was and how we'll likely see the same thing happen with Virgil's designs.
That is apples and oranges IMO. With Kobe, his passing was an unexpected tragedy, leaving Vanessa to make the decisions with how to proceed with Nike. Whereas with Virgil, he had an opportunity to clear up what he wanted to do after his passing. With Vanessa we honestly don’t know if Nike was being greedy or if it was Vanessa that was being unrealistic. More than likely it was both parties…

That is apples and oranges IMO. With Kobe, his passing was an unexpected tragedy, leaving Vanessa to make the decisions with how to proceed with Nike. Whereas with Virgil, he had an opportunity to clear up what he wanted to do after his passing. With Vanessa we honestly don’t know if Nike was being greedy or if it was Vanessa that was being unrealistic. More than likely it was both parties…

not really all that different. But it was used as an example of how even if the family approves the designs and releases, Nike is still going to milk the hype and the name of the deceased and keep production numbers low to sell their products. If Virgil had cleared up what he wanted to do after his passing, then Nike wouldn't need to postpone all his future releases until they get approval from his family. Thats why I said I see this situation following the same path as the Kobe situation. You think Virgil left a note to Nike saying "yeah release all my designs and put it in high production numbers" and Nike is gonna listen?

not really all that different. But it was used as an example of how even if the family approves the designs and releases, Nike is still going to milk the hype and the name of the deceased and keep production numbers low to sell their products. If Virgil had cleared up what he wanted to do after his passing, then Nike wouldn't need to postpone all his future releases until they get approval from his family. Thats why I said I see this situation following the same path as the Kobe situation. You think Virgil left a note to Nike saying "yeah release all my designs and put it in high production numbers" and Nike is gonna listen?
Bruh. When Virgil was here the production numbers were intentionally limited, that’s the whole business plan. If you can’t see it’s apples and oranges I can’t see it for you. We’re talking about a helicopter crash and cancer.

Reactions: DAV
You're comparing the cause of death even I didn't even mention that at all. I'm strictly talking about Nike's business plan moving forward. Even if Virgil's family approves his designs to be released, how long will that relationship last before they run out of designs? Is virgil's family going to design his next sneaker that Virgil has never sketched before? Or is Nike going to use his name and brand and slap it on a design that Nike does themselves? Just curious in knowing how you think Nike is going to move forward with Virgil's line.

Last edited:
You're comparing the cause of death even I didn't even mention that at all. I'm strictly talking about Nike's business plan moving forward. Even if Virgil's family approves his designs to be released, how long will that relationship last before they run out of designs? Is virgil's family going to design his next sneaker that Virgil has never sketched before? Or is Nike going to use his name and brand and slap it on a design that Nike does themselves?
You’re making my point for me 😂 yet more reasons why it’s completely different situations. Virgil was the designer. Kobe was just the athlete with the sponsorship deal. You shouldn’t ignore the cause of death when its obviously a huge part of the situation especially with the Kobe impasse. Anyway I’m done bruh, you got it.

Purely speculation, but depending on Virgil’s disclosure of his illness with Nike, they could have put some kind of plan/timeline in place for posthumous releases. With all of the unreleased projects that have been teased, there was probably a lot more going on behind the scenes than the general public (including this forum) could/would ever be aware of.

Regardless of what ends up happening with any future releases, Virgil cemented his legacy as one of Nike’s greatest collaborators when it came to creating hype. Even though a few releases flopped, the majority were coveted.

Black pair in!!
Sadly my white was canceled :/

E20032C9-A4F9-46A0-B619-C7E170C0FDAD.jpeg

You’re making my point for me 😂 yet more reasons why it’s completely different situations. Virgil was the designer. Kobe was just the athlete with the sponsorship deal. You shouldn’t ignore the cause of death when its obviously a huge part of the situation especially with the Kobe impasse. Anyway I’m done bruh, you got it.
I'm not seeing it bro. You're saying the Kobe and Virgil situation are nothing alike just because one knew he was going to pass due to cancer? All I see is two iconic people passing way too early. Just because Virgil might've known his time was coming doesn't mean he detailed his plans of how Nike x OW should proceed after he's gone. Don't know what's coming after the blazer lows, but highly doubt Nike releases more OW stuff since they'd catch a lot of heat from people claiming they're trying to make money off his name.

I'm not seeing it bro. You're saying the Kobe and Virgil situation are nothing alike just because one knew he was going to pass due to cancer? All I see is two iconic people passing way too early. Just because Virgil might've known his time was coming doesn't mean he detailed his plans of how Nike x OW should proceed after he's gone. Don't know what's coming after the blazer lows, but highly doubt Nike releases more OW stuff since they'd catch a lot of heat from people claiming they're trying to make money off his name.

I’m just sayin

One was unexpected, unforeseen. The other was known and prepared for.
One was a performance hoop shoe for one of the most popular players since MJ. Vanessa and team wanted them mass produced (allegedly). The other is a fashion/lifestyle shoe that was intentionally limited to drive hype.
what did I say that’s incorrect lol

I could see Virgil planning for his legacy considering what he was going thru...
I mean for him not to would be completely uncharacteristic of him and frankly, irresponsible… of course he did… but hey what do we know. Maybe he got to the heights he achieved by sheer dumb luck

trying to have a civil discussion about this. Personally I think even if Virgil had lined out a plan for his designs with Nike (and most likely LV and OW too), but I don't think Nike is going to move much forward other than the slight possibility of the blazer lows. Nike is going to get dragged for "milking" his name and brand if they continue releasing his shoes and design and still keep that limited/hype factor. Sure it was limited/hype business model before, but it'll mean differently if they keep that up after his passing.

It can be done tastefully to where all parties win (Virgil’s legacy/Ow whatever you wanna call it + Nike + customers). I hate to draw a Kobe comparison since I’m the one saying it’s different 😂 but Nike could’ve handled it tastefully as well but they didn’t do anything besides not make any deal.
My idea with Kobe would have been to produce the kicks to satisfy consumer demand and offset any “bad publicity” by donating a portion of proceeds to the Mamba/Mambacita Foundation. Basically promoting Kobe’s legacy both thru making his kicks available for hoopers/collectors and thru the foundation. Hypothetically if they did that with Virgil - donate to a cancer research foundation or even better, the charity of his choice before he passed, I don’t see how Nike would get bad pub, while also capitalizing monetarily

trying to have a civil discussion about this. Personally I think even if Virgil had lined out a plan for his designs with Nike (and most likely LV and OW too), but I don't think Nike is going to move much forward other than the slight possibility of the blazer lows. Nike is going to get dragged for "milking" his name and brand if they continue releasing his shoes and design and still keep that limited/hype factor. Sure it was limited/hype business model before, but it'll mean differently if they keep that up after his passing.
If his family comes out in support of releases co signing that this is what he wanted I could see Nike continuing some releases. I think Nike got dragged with Kobe because they were bickering with the misses.

Kobe was a basketball player (amongst many other things) but he wasn’t an artist outside of his film stuff. He didn’t design the shoes.

The comparison doesn’t work because Virgil was an artist. This is the art that he created and wanted to share with the world. He spent his career to his last day working to get his designs completed and out in peoples hands. If he made plans for his designs and his estate gets properly compensated then I don’t see how anything is being exploited.

It can be done tastefully to where all parties win (Virgil’s legacy/Ow whatever you wanna call it + Nike + customers). I hate to draw a Kobe comparison since I’m the one saying it’s different 😂 but Nike could’ve handled it tastefully as well but they didn’t do anything besides not make any deal.
My idea with Kobe would have been to produce the kicks to satisfy consumer demand and offset any “bad publicity” by donating a portion of proceeds to the Mamba/Mambacita Foundation. Basically promoting Kobe’s legacy both thru making his kicks available for hoopers/collectors and thru the foundation. Hypothetically if they did that with Virgil - donate to a cancer research foundation or even better, the charity of his choice before he passed, I don’t see how Nike would get bad pub, while also capitalizing monetarily
I agree with how it could've played out with Kobes. I think that's exactly how Vanessa wanted it to continue as well. Higher stock and wider availability (plus kids sizes as well) to continue getting his shoes into his fans' hands, but Nike wanted to continue the limited/hype business model. Tbf, Kobe 1 and 4 protros (certain cw's) were sitting in outlets and even the undefeated 4 collab was sitting at barely above retail before his passing. I also think Vanessa wanted a bigger cut of profits to be donated back to the mamba/mambacita foundation, which makes sense seeing as how it is Kobe's name selling the shoes.

If Virgil's family wanted and gave the approval, I'm sure the donation thing could be a good way to swing continuing the OW x Nike shoes/apparel without getting too much backlash. But at the same time, I would love to say Virgil did a good job of extending his legacy with the 50 lot dunks. The vapor whatever shoes with the netting all over was a miss for sure, but even now people I'm sure are willing to pay money for it now that he's gone. Whatever Nike puts out with OW will sell out regardless even if it's mass produced since resellers love capitalizing on people's deaths. Kobes, Dooms, OW, etc.

Kobe was a basketball player (amongst many other things) but he wasn’t an artist outside of his film stuff. He didn’t design the shoes.

The comparison doesn’t work because Virgil was an artist. This is the art that he created and wanted to share with the world. He spent his career to his last day working to get his designs completed and out in peoples hands. If he made plans for his designs and his estate gets properly compensated then I don’t see how anything is being exploited.
Designs completed maybe, but it's a stretch to say he got shoes into people's hands with how limited stock has been for the ow stuff. Not including the vapor shoes or track shoes.

My thinking on the Kobe and Virgil comparison is this…
Kobe died suddenly, completely unexpected, in a helicopter accident, a method of transportation he’d used thousands of times. You’ve also got the added circumstances of the rumored friction between Kobe and Nike, and rumored possible eventual split from Nike and Kobe rumored to be developing his own shoe brand/line.
Virgil was diagnosed and died from a rare and extremely deadly form of cancer. Even with surgery, greater than 90% of people diagnosed with Cardiac Angiosarcoma die within 1 year. It’s been stated that Virgil lived 2 years after his diagnosis. As far are we know, Virgil had a great relationship with Nike/JB, and we know he had shoes on the horizon and we’d imagine future shoes for years to come. I think it could be safe to assume that Virgil, knowing his likely prognosis, could’ve planned the future of OW and their releases. Also, while Virgil is the face, the founder, and the main brain and creative of OW, it is a brand of creators, and apparently others have input into OW releases, not solely and only Virgil.

I say all of that to just highlight that on one hand you’ve got a collaborator who had a rumored tumultuous relationship with the brand, and even rumored to be planning and strategizing their exit from the company, who suddenly and tragically died in the midst of all of that. On the other, you’ve a collaborator who had a good relationship with the brand, there’s no indication of the contrary, and being given that cancer diagnosis, I don’t find it hard to imagine that he planned his future and settled important and needed affairs.

Knowing this, it would make sense if the ability for Nike/JB to continue creating product co-branded with these people is completely different for each situation. Also, I can see the narrative surrounding each relationship going forward both being totally different.

There are separate Off white threads so I thought I'd ask in here too:

Should I spend $799 shipped on sz 10 pair of Sail 5's from GOAT or wait till prices dip back?

Back
Top Bottom