*OFFICAL* L.A Dodgers Spring Training Thread! Vol. Baseball is almost here!

2 years 36 million for Andruw Jones, is a nice move by Ned!

Playing in L.A will revitalize Andruw - no more of that humid ATL weather.

Now we got a glut in the OF with Young, Repko, Kemp, Ethier and Pierre.

I hope we can move Pierre or Ethier, I like Kemp's upside toooo much. Damn i miss baseball...........

I called that andruw jones signing from the beginning (i think)
pimp.gif

A glove & a bat.
happy.gif

Hopefully this doesn't mean we trade Matt Kemp. The ideal scenario IMO is package Pierre (
wink.gif
), a prospect, and or $ for the pitcher from Oakland (Blanton or Haren).

I thought he would take something like 2/32 but that deal is not bad - specially if we get the Andruw from a couple of years ago.

didnt i call this? DIDNT I?!?!

smokin.gif

TOO much $$ IMHO but ned had to do this. now my only hope is this doesnt mean kemps exit is forthcoming.

ideally id want ned to revisit the rumor from a few weeks ago which was Pierre for Contreras straight up and make it happen, EVEN if we had to take a chunk ofthe salary that is owed to Juan in order to save Kemp

EVEN if we had to take a chunk of the salary that is owed to Juan in order to save Kemp

Pierre is making 9 Mil a year. Kemp is like 400K or around there? I'd eat up a couple mil from Pierre contract, keep Kemp, works out as if we still havePierre, financially, but end up maintaining Kemp, IMO the better talent & better suit for the team.

I love Pierre's hustle, speed, and commitment to the game. I love the 60+ stolen bases, the 200 hits, and so forth. I hate the amount of outs he makes(soft fly balls, easy grounders), the way his arm allows runners to move up that extra base, his non-existing power...

Sorry, I'm sure Juan's a cool dude or whatever but Kemp > Pierre.

I don't care if we overpaid for Andruw but it was only for 2 years which is good. I hope we keep Kemp though... and we just need a solid starting pitcherand we're good to go.... 3rd base could go to Laroche.

I called that andruw jones signing from the beginning (i think)
didnt i call this? DIDNT I?!?!

^i think we both called it
What?
roll.gif

Posted on Page 1, I love this thread...

Our best bet in FA is ARod and that is a longshot. I could see them pursuing Andruw Jones and somehow landing him, but that would mean sayonara (sp?) to Kemp or Ethier. At this point I would rather have Kemps potential, than Andruw's declining production and inflated price (Bora$).

I told ya'll to be patient. I mentioned several times here that Andruw Jones was the target they were going after, ever since he mentioned that he wantedto play in warm weather. I just didn't want to give him a Torri Hunter type deal, that we would regret.

Aaron Rowand came into play, since it seemed like Boras wasn't going to lower his big demands 6 years @ $100 million. Torri Hunter, as much as Dodger fanssaid they wanted him, was never an option. IMO, he never had any intention to leave the AL. I talked to some baseball ops people and they told me that Hunterwas never an option, even when Hunter himself mentioned that the Dodgers were a good option (Negotiating ploy!).

I like Colletti using his old tricks, sure we will give you more money (Because we have it
smokin.gif
), but you will sign on our terms. Kind of like the Furcal deal two winters ago. I myselfwas losing hope of landing Jones, caving in to giving him 3 or 4 years to get him. Colletti stuck to his guns and got the two year deal done.

We are still deep as *%%% in the farm system, and no, it is not because ownership is cheap. Where do "Dodger Fans" get this idea? It is because thesekids are talented. We have a glut of OF's now, prime candidates to be moved are Young, Ethier and Pierre (If they eat a chunk of his contract). Collettidoes not want to move Kemp, unless it is for a player of Haren/Bedard/Santana quality. You can call the deal between the Dodgers and Orioles dead. They areinsisting on Bedard for Kemp+Broxton (
laugh.gif
), dead deal.

Beane will want Kemp in any deal involving Haren, but maybe we could keep Kemp out of the deal for Joe Blanton. I like how on turkey day everyone, includingthe LA media, was bashing the Dodgers after the Angels overpayed Torri Hunter.

Now they are looking at the Angels deal as "Maybe that wasn't such a bright signing".

I don't care, I'm happy with the move, and they got the FA I was hoping they would get. They will pick up a couple of pitchers since they have to movea couple of players, and if the deal is right they will pick up a third baseman as well (Glaus/Blalock).

Our lineup looks good, but still needs a little more tinkering:

When Pierre starts:

SS Furcal
LF Pierre
1B Loney
CF Jones
2B Kent
RF Kemp
C Martin
3B La Roche/Garciaparra
P

When Ethier Starts:

SS Furcal
C Martin
1B Loney
CF Jones
2B Kent
RF Kemp
LF Ethier
3B La Roche/Garciaparra
P

I thought he was (Kent), he spoke to Torre the day of his press conference.

I also heard that Torre wanted to make Kent the captain of the team... Goodluck with that.

He's not the type of player who will rally his team with his words, if anything, Russ Martin should be the captain.

^^ It's not official just yet but it looks like he will more than likely.

BTW, the Dodgers signed Chan Ho Park to a minor league deal as well.

yah, after a month of having a deal on the table, he finally came to his senses and took the deal

itd be nice to have a Korean and a Mexican on the team, if for nothing else than inspiring more fans to go to games. that being said, they need to produce.THAT being said, lets sign my boy JORGE CANTU!

The Dodgers' signing of Andruw Jones sparked talk Thursday that they were going to turn around and include Matt Kemp in a big offer for Johan Santana. After checking that out, there isn't any evidence the Dodgers are in on Santana or plan to be. There are rumblings that they actually have more interest in Erik Bedard. That deal would probably be a 4-for-1 swap centered around their best pitching prospect, Clayton Kershaw, and either Kemp or Andre Ethier. But it appears the Dodgers prefer to explore less pricey options first, such as free agent Hiroki Kuroda or a deal for Oakland's Joe Blanton.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Dodgers scouted Jones extensively and had new batting coach Don Mattingly watch video of the power hitter before making him an offer. Mattingly and others in the organization believe Jones' problems last season are correctable[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A Dodgers source said that if the season began today, Pierre would compete with Andre Ethier for playing time in left field. Matt Kemp and Ethier would be penciled into right field. Another option is to trade an outfielder, but a source said that Kemp is not expected to be dealt despite the widespread interest in him[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].

[/font] [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Jones is a winner of 10 consecutive Gold Glove awards who has 101 career assists and led National League outfielders in putouts last year with 396. Scouts said his range appeared to decline in 2005 and 2006, but he rebounded so well that sabermatrician and fielding expert John Dewan said in the 2008 Bill James Handbook, "perhaps we should crown (Jones) 'Comeback Fielder of the Year.' "[/font]

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...lug=sh-dodgersjones120507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

BTW, CincoSeisDos - dope sig.

Pierre needs to go, someone must want him.

But if he does go, the line up could look like:

Furccal
Kemp
Loney
Jones
Kent
Martin
Ethier
LaRoche
P

Lookin' good for next year.
pimp.gif
Can't wait.

The Dodgers' signing of Andruw Jones sparked talk Thursday that they were going to turn around and include Matt Kemp in a big offer for Johan Santana. After checking that out, there isn't any evidence the Dodgers are in on Santana or plan to be. There are rumblings that they actually have more interest in Erik Bedard. That deal would probably be a 4-for-1 swap centered around their best pitching prospect, Clayton Kershaw, and either Kemp or Andre Ethier. But it appears the Dodgers prefer to explore less pricey options first, such as free agent Hiroki Kuroda or a deal for Oakland's Joe Blanton.
why the %#%@ would you throw a package like that for Erik Bedard?? you can send around that much for santana

The welcome wagon will be on Wednesday for Andruw Jones. Tentatively, he will wear #22, instead of his usual #25. Esteban Loaiza has a hold of #25, and itseems he wont let it go.

Hiroki Kuroda might be next on the FA aquisitions ... I'm guessing 3 yr 30mill

Anyone seen him pitch / info?

I'm so glad the Dodgers didn't give up the youngsters for Miguel Tejada, he has been traded to Houston.

Now we can move on, and try to get Mr. Hiroki Kuroda from Japan
happy.gif

We would have a very diverse team, Korean, Mexican, Japanese, Canadian
eek.gif

DODGERS REPORT
Kent will return with $9-million option
template_bas
template_bas
Jones passes physical and will be introduced today.
By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 12, 2007
Jeff Kent has postponed retirement and will play out the final year of his contract with the Dodgers, his agent said Tuesday night.

Jeff Klein wrote in an e-mail that the 39-year-old Kent has informed Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti of his decision. Colletti confirmed that he had "a thorough conversation" with Kent over the phone before last week's winter meetings.

He'll be back
He'll be back
click to enlarge

Klein wrote in the e-mail that the second baseman "is looking forward to returning for his fourth season with the Dodgers. He is actively pursuing his customary and rigorous off-season conditioning and weightlifting program, and is very focused on helping his team win the World Series this year."

Colletti and Manager Joe Torre sounded fairly optimistic in recent months that Kent would be back. Torre, who is also represented by Klein, said he received a phone message from Kent upon being hired by the Dodgers last month.

Kent was slowed by a strained hamstring over the second half of last season, but finished batting .302 with a team-best 20 home runs. He also had 79 runs batted in.

Kent has hit .290 with 365 home runs over 16 seasons.

By making his 550th plate appearance of the season in Colorado on Sept. 20, Kent guaranteed his $9-million option for 2008. But with the Dodgers on a five-game losing streak and seemingly out of contention, Kent voiced his frustrations about the team's plunge and strongly hinted that he might retire.

In the same postgame interview, Kent made comments that put him in the middle of the club's generational divide, saying the team's young players lacked professionalism and didn't know how to manufacture runs or keep their emotions in the game.

"We've got some good kids on the team," he said. "Don't get me wrong, please don't misinterpret my impressions. [But] it's hard to translate experience."

Kent's statements drew a sharp rebuttal the next day from first baseman James Loney.

Colletti said last week of the team's clubhouse problems, "I know why it occurred and it's been addressed. It'll be an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive."

Andruw Jones, who passed a physical examination in Los Angeles on Tuesday, is set to sign his name today on a two-year contract with the Dodgers worth $36.2 million. Jones will be introduced at a news conference at Dodger Stadium this morning.

Free-agent right-hander Rudy Seanez has been offered a one-year contract to return to the Dodgers, according to his agent, David Schwartz, who said the Dodgers are among six to eight teams that have expressed "serious interest" in his client.

The Dodgers are looking at three free agents to be their backup catcher: Mike Lieberthal, Gary Bennett and Damian Miller. The team declined Lieberthal's $1.4-million option for next season but is interested in bringing him back at a reduced price. Bennett and Miller were backups last season in St. Louis and Milwaukee, respectively.

Marty Greenspun, who resigned as the Dodgers' chief operating officer last month, will rejoin the New York Yankees' front office, according to baseball sources. Before joining the Dodgers in 2004, Greenspun spent six seasons as the Yankees' chief financial officer and vice president.

Kent, Furcal, & Nomar being healthy for 08' =
pimp.gif
:pimp:

Dodgers have waived Mark Hendrickson - so long sukkkkka'

It looks like Dodgers going into the season with Jones (CF), Ethier (LF), and Kemp (RF) - my thinking would be playign Ethier hard in the beggining of theseason cause his numbers are
eek.gif
- then the halfway point insert Pierre in there to turn things up
laugh.gif

From Dodgers.com:

LOS ANGELES -- Media reports from Japan indicate that free-agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda will sign with the Dodgers, but general manager Ned Colletti said on Wednesday it's news to him.

"We expect to hear from the agent at some point in time," Colletti said. "We hear [Kuroda] is in Los Angeles, but that shouldn't be misinterpreted. His agent is out here."

Colletti said there was no meeting planned with Kuroda and no known timetable on his decision.

Reports out of Japan, however, say Kuroda informed his former manager with the Hiroshima Carp that he had decided to sign with the Dodgers. He gave three reasons: The Dodgers are playing their 50th year in L.A., Joe Torre is the manager and the Dodgers have a better chance of reaching the playoffs than the Mariners, who were his second choice.

The Mariners are believed to have offered a four-year, $40 million contract. Kansas City offered a contract of a reported four years and $44 million. The Diamondbacks upped their ante to three years and $30 million, comparable to the offer the Dodgers reportedly made.

Kuroda will be a great pickup for the team. It also looks like the Dodgers are not going to trade Matt Kemp. It also seems as if they are going to platoonPierre and Ethier, meaning Kemp and Jones will be full time OF'ers. The team is looking good on paper, so far, and none of the young talent wassacrificed. Although I could see Pierre or Ethier being moved. They keep on talking about the White Sox, but they already traded one of their best tradingchips in Jon Garland. Rumors keep tossing Crede, but why trade a young guy for a player coming off a major injury?

SS Furcal
LF Pierre
CF Jones
2B Kent
RF Kemp
1B Loney
C Martin
1B Garciaparra/ La Roche

SP Penny
SP Billingsley
SP Kuroda
SP Lowe