..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

kYqNNK3y.jpg

Cards pound out 16 hits to top Padres

Schumaker leads attack with four safeties; Looper earns win

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The Cardinals believe in a two-pronged approach to making sure Albert Pujols gets plenty of pitches to hit. Put runners on base in front of the slugger, and make sure the guys behind him are effective enough to get the opposition's attention.

The thing is, when both of those things happen, the Cardinals don't need a big night from Pujols. Such was the case on Wednesday night in an 11-3 win over the Padres at PETCO Park.

Skip Schumaker and Aaron Miles combined for seven base hits in the two lineup positions in front of Pujols, while Ryan Ludwick and Troy Glaus combined for six RBIs in the two spots behind the slugger. The result was a convincing victory and another data point in what appears to be a warming trend for a previously chilled Cardinals offense.

"Everybody getting some hits and leaving with a smile on their face, a win, that's what you want going into the off-day," said Miles.

The 11 runs equaled the Redbirds' season high, as did 16 base hits. An early-May offensive swoon has been replaced by a surge in recent days. The Cardinals have scored 35 runs in their past five games, after totaling 35 in the 10 contests before that.

Pujols went 1-for-5 with a run, but was at the center of the night's unfortunately defining moment. With runners on first and second in the third inning, he hit a comebacker that struck San Diego starter Chris Young in the face.

Young sustained a broken and lacerated nose and was removed from the game. Pujols later came around to score, and on his slide into home plate, Padres catcher Josh Bard received a sprained ankle. The slugger was clearly bothered by the two plays for the rest of the night, and he was removed in the eighth inning.

"He [manager Tony La Russa] knew it was bothering me as soon as I scored," Pujols said. "That decision, I didn't have any problem with it. I know it was bothering me. It's still bothering me. I think it's going to bother me the next couple days. Get a day off tomorrow, hopefully forget about it. Hopefully I hear back from Chris and make sure he's OK."

It was likely the pivotal play in the game for more reasons than one. Upon Young's removal from the game, the Cardinals began to feast on San Diego relief pitching. Three runs scored in the third, and the Redbirds plated three more in the fourth.

They kept adding on as the game went on, capped by Rick Ankiel's pinch-homer in the eighth. Ankiel hadn't played since Friday as he dealt with a sore right shoulder.

The Cardinals got five runs from the top three batters in their order, and nine RBIs from the men who started in positions four through seven. That's the way the offense is supposed to work, but until recently it's not how things had been going. St. Louis had been getting plenty of runners, but not plating them.

"We've had the opportunities. ... I would be more alarmed had we not had opportunities," Glaus said. "The fact that they're happening, it was just a matter of time before we got four or five or six hits with runners in scoring position."

St. Louis fell behind early, 2-0, but starter Braden Looper toughed out five innings on a night when he wasn't at his best. Looper got help from a split-finger pitch that he used to greater effect in his last couple of innings, as well as from a spectacular catch.

Holding a 6-3 lead with two out in the fifth, Looper allowed a deep line drive to Kevin Kouzmanoff -- the same man who beat the Cardinals with a three-run homer on Tuesday night. Schumaker tracked it into the gap in right-center and made a dazzling, diving catch on the warning track to end the inning.

"The timing of that catch was big, with Looper kind of laboring a little bit that inning," Schumaker said. "He's been beating us deep the last couple games, so I was playing him a little deeper and luckily I ran it down."

St. Louis has won four out of five games after dropping eight of its previous 10. The Cardinals pulled within one game of first-place Chicago in the National League Central after the Cubs again lost to the Astros.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Pujols is a beast plain and simple, I am still debating if I am going to attend at least 1 of the Cardinals - Dodgers game this weekend.

Its hard to disagree that Pujols is quite simply the finest hitter in baseball.

Hopefully the Cubs can sweep the Bucs again. Hopefully the cubs can start sweeping other teams besides Pitt.

Do we just play Pitt every other series for the rest of the year or what?
sick.gif

Freakin tired of playing these guys.

After today I won't see a computer til next week so I don't want no silly people calling me out if the Cubs lose a game or two. Ya'll know whoya'll are.
wink.gif

There goes that feast or famine team. I take nothing from this win, we destroy Pittsburgh every time so winning there on the road is nothing. This team needsto be more consistent and win some games against decent teams on the road...

But wow, Big Z going 3-4. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

eek.gif
Valverde gets hit in the face with a line drive, comes back and still gets the save
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
yup such a relief when victorino flied out to end thegame.

That was the first time Valverde allowed a run in over a month.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by truthmain

There goes that feast or famine team. I take nothing from this win, we destroy Pittsburgh every time so winning there on the road is nothing. This team needs to be more consistent and win some games against decent teams on the road...

But wow, Big Z going 3-4. Good stuff.

Feast or Famine is a good way to put it. This Cubs team loves to beat up on teams that are obviously much worse than they are. I willl be convinced thatthe "08 Cubs are capable of playing in The Series when they are able to beat other teams on the road besides the bucs.

I don't know anymore. Usually when closers hit the first batter he faces represents the tying run that ends upscoring, then should he still be the closer? And I'm not saying this happens once in a while, but consistently, then should he still be the closer?

Because imo, that's called beating yourself instead of having the other team beat you. I can live with the opposing team getting a single, etc. Make thembeat you, not beat ourselves.

Kerry Wood is my hero.
smh.gif

Lohse leaves Dodgers searching
Cards righty tosses six scoreless frames to set up sweep

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- Kyle Lohse pitched six excellent innings and the Cardinals made the most of limited offensive opportunities in a 4-0 win over the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on Saturday night. Lohse (4-2) was barely threatened as he breezed through his best outing since the season's first week. He allowed five hits, no walks and struck out five. It was the second consecutive quality start for Lohse, who was reached for 19 runs in his three starts before that. Brad Penny was in control for the Dodgers, meanwhile, with the exception of one concentrated uprising for the Redbirds. With two outs and the bases empty in the third, Penny walked Adam Kennedy and Skip Schumaker. Chris Duncan poked an RBI single to left field, Albert Pujols dropped a double into center that Matt Kemp nearly caught and Rick Ankiel placed a two-run double into shallow left. None of the balls was hit hard, but they added up to a four-run frame. The Cardinals have won three straight and improved to 4-1 on their current West Coast road trip with one game remaining. They pulled even with the Cubs atop the National League Central thanks to Chicago's earlier loss to the Pirates.Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Tied for 1st and going for the sweep
pimp.gif

I am attending tomorrows game @ Dodger stadium, hopefully it doesn't rain.

Thats what im talking about, Great pitching by Lohse tonight.

Stupid charter had an outage from the first inning all the way till the 8th soo i didnt catch ANY of the game, as long as they win im cool.

Why do the Pirates and Cubs play every week? It sucks, the Pirates can beat any OTHER team in the division but Chicago. Sigh

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Why do the Pirates and Cubs play every week? It sucks, the Pirates can beat any OTHER team in the division but Chicago. Sigh

Only if those pesky Cubs were in another division, the Pirates would win the NL central
laugh.gif

CUBS !!!!!!

soriano needs to stretch b4 games im tired of seeing him limping around, if he is cramping they should put him on the banana diet they put big z on.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Stupid charter had an outage from the first inning all the way till the 8th soo i didnt catch ANY of the game, as long as they win im cool.

I thought I was the only one. It was like half the channels too. Instead of catching the Cards I was forced to watch MADTV. I know, pretty desperate.

Dare i say its a must win this afternoon...we need to finish the roadie with a .500 record.

Originally Posted by JCH3

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I thought I was the only one. It was like half the channels too. Instead of catching the Cards I was forced to watch MADTV. I know, pretty desperate.

Pshhh.......At least you got mad T.V., all i got was freaking Harry Potter on the Family Channel (Was pretty entertaining considering i had NOTHING else towatch
smile.gif
) and OnDemand was choppy as hell, tried to watch transformers forthe first time and it kept showing half the screen and would freeze every 5 minutes.

I havent come in here since Soriano dropped that ball. He is potentially the worst outfielder i have ever seen. That was an inexcusable drop. Just horrific. Ihope Lou doesnt leave him in for the ninth inning ever again.

Back
Top Bottom