..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

I been gone for a minute, but that drop by Soriano was just
indifferent.gif

I sat there on the phone with a friend and just couldn't speak for like 5 minutes. For 138 million dollars, I would never once drop a fly ball, I promise. Hell, dude had sunglasses friggin on and didn't flip em. Just....
indifferent.gif

And I never use stoneface.
smh.gif

Well the Cards didn't grab the sweep, but it was still a good game nonetheless. I am hoping the Cards can take out the Stros.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yea, almost walked down to the game tonight, about 5 blocks from my job. Was too damn cold when i left out the building tho. Still got my tickets for tomorrowtho, rain or shine

Originally Posted by CP1708

I been gone for a minute, but that drop by Soriano was just
indifferent.gif

I sat there on the phone with a friend and just couldn't speak for like 5 minutes. For 138 million dollars, I would never once drop a fly ball, I promise. Hell, dude had sunglasses friggin on and didn't flip em. Just....
indifferent.gif

Soriano did have the glasses flipped down when he missed the ball.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Well the Cards didn't grab the sweep, but it was still a good game nonetheless. I am hoping the Cards can take out the Stros.

'Stros with a 4 run first inning.
pimp.gif

Aramis + Fukudome = CLUTCH !!!!

Lets snatch this win man. Bullpen.....i swear.......if ya'll blow this one......

Woody with the save !! He had great stuff tonight. Good win by the Cubbies. Offense was fairly quiet, but came through when they had to.

21-8 at home !! Wow !!

Edmonds has two games left to show me something. Otherwise, like a predicted ,he'll be released by the end of the week.

great win by the Cubs. continuing to just pound people at home. Now if we can take some of that home i will be tickled like a school girl. whatever that means.
smile.gif

You know what......Im actually starting to dislike the Asstros a bit more than the cubs for some reason..........I think its because the cubs have sucked forso long and doesnt seem like its gonna end, while the stro`s built talent in their lineup very quietly

Great win last night, tough tough game and the guys pulled thru.
pimp.gif

Rog, I didn't know that about Sori havin the glasses flipped. I watched the play, but i never saw him pull them down. And I couldn't see his eyesbecause he was looking down at the ground with his glove over his head while the ball fell on him.
laugh.gif
tired.gif
smh.gif

[table][tr][td]
Bruce shines in Major League spotlight

Rookie goes 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs in debut
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]CINCINNATI -- A victim of veteran pranks already, new Reds center fielder Jay Bruce proudly wore the spoils of his spectacular Major League debut.
Bruce got two shaving cream pies to his face and a bucket of ice water splashed at him on the heels of Tuesday's 9-6 Reds win over the Pirates at Great American Ball Park.

Welcome to the big leagues, rook. That's the reward when you go 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs scored while reaching base in all five plate appearances.

"That's probably as good of a debut I've ever seen," said Reds manager Dusty Baker, a veteran of 40 big league seasons said. "He made his debut well documented and something he'll never forget. You see what's there. You see why he's so highly touted. He picked up here where he left off in Triple-A."

To chants of "Bruuuuuce" in his debut plate appearance from 17,964 fans, the 21-year-old Bruce drew a first-inning walk. His first hit came in the third inning when he lined a single to left field off of Pirates starter Ian Snell.

Perhaps Bruce didn't need the postgame ice water soaking. Baseball's top prospect already had the stuff coursing through his veins.

"I was a lot more calm than I thought I was going to be," said Bruce, who was batting .364 with a nine-game hitting streak when he was promoted from Triple-A Louisville. "It was fun getting warmed up and everything. It almost felt like another baseball game. I think the most important thing for a debut is getting a win and that was awesome. Hopefully, there's a lot more coming."

Snell (2-4) gave up six hits and seven walks in his five innings, but the Reds and Johnny Cueto were trailing by a 3-0 score after the top of the fifth inning. In the bottom half, Snell issued three straight one-out walks -- including one to Bruce -- before Brandon Phillips hit a sacrifice fly to center field. Then came the crushing blow.

Next up was Adam Dunn, who lifted a 1-0 offering into the next-to-last row of seats in right field for a 4-3 lead. The 454-foot shot was Dunn's team-leading 15th homer of the season, his third in four games and eighth in 12 games. The 252nd homer of his career also moved him past Ted Kluszewski for fourth on the club's all-time list. Dunn also had an RBI single in the sixth for a four-RBI night.

Cincinnati added another four-spot in that sixth, including a bases-loaded single by Bruce off of lefty Damaso Marte, for his first RBI. The lefty hitter sent the knock into left field, which impressed his manager.

"That's a positive sign, the fact he's using the whole field," Baker said. "A lot of guys come up and they're trying to pull and hit a home run. He's staying within himself and did what he does best."

In the seventh, Bruce sharply lined a two-out double to the right-field wall for his third hit. The last Reds player with three hits in his debut was Willie Greene on Sept. 1, 1992.

"I don't think you can write it any better than this," said Bruce, the Reds' first-round Draft pick in 2005.

The big nights by Bruce and Dunn covered up a lackluster night for the pitching staff. Cueto (3-4) gave up three runs, two earned, and nine hits over five innings while throwing 119 pitches. The 22-year-old right-hander, who walked three and struck out four, hasn't made it beyond the fifth three times over his last four starts.

"He threw a lot of pitches in a short period of time again, but he battled," Baker said. "He was in trouble almost every inning, but he held them to three to give us a chance to win the ballgame."

The Reds missed a chance to coast to a six-run victory when reliever Jeremy Affeldt gave up two homers for three runs in the ninth. Closer Francisco Cordero had to be used to get the final out for his 11th save.

A win made it possible for the shaving cream pies to fly, which happened as Bruce was being interviewed on the field during the postgame broadcast.

"I didn't do it," said right fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who knew the culprits. "I can be bribed."

"What can he be bribed with?" Bruce retorted about his well compensated teammate and boyhood idol. Touche.

It turned out that David Ross supplied the shaving cream while Aaron Harang provided the water.

Now Bruce can come back to the ballpark and do it all again on Wednesday.

"Jay, you can get here at 4 o'clock tomorrow, not 12," Griffey said as he walked out of the clubhouse.

Other than that, just another typical day in baseball, right?

"It's so much the same as the Minor Leagues, as far as the game," Bruce said. "It's just got a lot more fans, bigger stands, and better uniforms and stuff. And you're playing with freaking legends and superstars."

Wainwright againist the Stros' tonight last time he threw complete game vs them.
hopefully my Stros can rough him up just like Looper

the Corey Patterson experiment is finally over...he was optioned to Louisville.
pimp.gif

i'm going to go heckle his sorry #%# soon.

So, I just downloaded custom, updated rosters for MLB 2K8. Mind you, I haven't played in a long time (I've been GTA since it came out) and so I decidedto try out the a game.

D'Backs vs Reds (Arizona was picked at random).

On All-Star level, I kid you not, 1st time at-bat with him, I hit a HR with Bruce. He took a slider down and away over the fence.

wildKYcat, I hope you're impressed
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Jesus......They walked Pujols with no outs to load the bases. I didnt think they were scared to pitch to him at first, thought they were just beingcautious..........THAT was just plain girly man-like.

^ man Pujols is a beast there is just no way around it, and he CAN single handedly take over a game....... and this is from a native houstonian, and stros fan

C`mon man......I see walking him with 2 outs with 1st base open, but they didnt even try......Its not like you CANT get him out......he is a beast, but he isalso human.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Damn Dodgers can't finish the Cubs
smh.gif

Exactly..........I knew it was over when that "Closer" was walking all those batters
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Clown

Good win by the Cards tho......Wain looked great, cept for that homer that landed in Big Mac land

Back
Top Bottom