OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

smh.gif
at Manny and Boras.

Well I guess we got our answer back before friday. I wonder if this is more so of Boras being an egoistic fool or Manny being Manny.

Here's a very interesting update on the contract:

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/manny-ramire-16.html[/h1]
[h1]Manny Ramirez Rumors: Friday[/h1]
By Drew Silva [February 27 at 9:21am CST]

According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, deferred payments were the key issue in Manny Ramirez's rejection of the Dodgers' most recent offer. As Hernandez explains,

Under the terms of the contract that Ramirez was offered by the Dodgers on Wednesday, he would've received $10 million this year. And by exercising the option for the second year, he would've received $10 million in 2010.

Ramirez, who turns 37 in May, would've been paid the remaining $25 million over the next three years without any added interest. He would've received $10 million in 2011, $10 million in 2012 and $5 million in 2013

Scott Boras made a counter offer using the same basic language and numbers of the club's two-year, $45MM offer, but without the deferred payments. Boras told the Dodgers that they have until noon to strike a contract.

I'd be
mad.gif
mad.gif
@ them deferred payments
laugh.gif

Get it done, we WIN with Manny this year.

ya i heard that on sportscenter this morning and one of the dudes also said boars kinda of has the upper hand now because dunn and all of them been signed,dodger should of gave manny a deadline before all them guys signed so they would have back up planes. it was the old mets GM i think it was

hey dodger fans..

just got my season tickets this morning. if you want to be on my email list to purchase games i cant go to, PM your email.

I have the option of emailing you tickets 2 hours prior to game time, and you can paypal me.

my seats are section 3 in the top deck row H. i have 2 seats.
they are up there, but close enough to center to know whats goin on. its always a good time in the top deck!

lets go blue!

Two-year, $45 million offers apparently come wrapped different ways, and Ramirez wants the package that would pay him $25 million in 2009 and $20 million in 2010, with an opt-out clause after the first year.

Lets get it done. Those are the kind of contracts the Dodgers like, short. Manuel can opt out in 2010, that puts us in the running for the Lebronsweepstakes in 2010. Hopefully he switches to baseball.
laugh.gif

45296824.jpg

Email Picture

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

Manny Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, has rejected the latest two-year deal from the Dodgers.

BASEBALL

[h1]Deferred payments key issue in Dodgers' offer to Manny Ramirez[/h1]

Alex Gallardo / Los Angeles Times

Manny Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, has rejected the latest two-year deal from the Dodgers.

The club's two-year, $45-million offer included only $10 million this year and $10 million in 2010 if the slugger picked up the player option, a source says. Negotiations are continuing.

By Dylan Hernandez
9:51 AM PST, February 27, 2009
Reporting from Scottsdale, Ariz. -- The Dodgers offered Manny Ramirez a two-year, $45-million contract that included a player option to void the secondyear.

Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, countered by proposing a two-year, $45-million contract that included a player option to void the second year.

[h5]Related Content[/h5]

Your Vote

What should the Dodgers do next, now that Scott Boras has rejected their latest offer to Manny Ramirez?

Pull the offer and forget about signing Manny. Their offer was more than fair.

Keep the offer on the table, but don't increase it.

Increase the offer. They need Manny more than Manny needs them.
So why isn't the deal done?

The reason is in the fine print, according to a baseball source familiar with the negotiations who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the two sidesare still working toward a deal.

Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti confirmed Thursday the club's offer to Ramirez was for $25 million this season, and another $20 million in 2010 at theplayer's option for the second year.

What Colletti didn't mention Thursday, the source said, was that most of Ramirez's salary would've been deferred. Two other sources previously toldThe Times that the proposed deal included deferred payments.

Under the terms of the contract that Ramirez was offered by the Dodgers on Wednesday, he would receive $10 million this year. And by exercising the option forthe second year, he would receive $10 million in 2010. Colletti confirmed today that deferred payments were involved.

"The deferred component was part of the deal from the very beginning," Colletti said, though he would not discuss specifics of the deferred payments.

Boras said the Dodgers had set a noon deadline today to strike a deal, though Colletti said today that the deadline was simply for a response from Boras, whichthe club has received.

Colletti said he had not spoken with Boras, but they had communicated by e-mail, and negotiations are ongoing.

Ramirez, who turns 37 in May, would've been paid the remaining $25 million over the next three years without any added interest. He would've received$10 million in 2011, $10 million in 2012 and $5 million in 2013.

When making his counteroffer, Boras requested that none of the money be deferred.

Dodgers spokesman Josh Rawitch declined to comment on Thursday when asked about how much of Ramirez's salary would've been deferred under theDodgers' proposal, saying owner Frank McCourt's statement in the club's news release would be the only comments about Ramirez that night.

The Dodgers took a swipe at Boras in a strongly worded statement they issued Thursday night to report that the free-agent outfielder had rejected the two-year,$45-million offer the team made Wednesday.

That prompted a response from the Boras camp, which released a statement of its own saying that it was waiting for a response from the Dodgers about the twocounterproposals it made Thursday, the most recent being for $45 million over two years.

Boras said he never rejected the Dodgers' offer.

"They asked me to respond to them and I gave them a counterproposal within the framework of the structure we had agreed upon," Boras said.

The electronic firestorm was started by the Dodgers, who sent a mass e-mail with a subject line that read, "Boras Rejects Dodgers Offer to MannyRamirez."

"The Dodgers today received a letter from Scott Boras, the agent for Manny Ramirez, rejecting the offer that the club made yesterday," the releaseread. "This rejection is the fourth by the agent in the club's attempts to sign Manny."

The release revealed the growing tension between Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and Boras, as it included a quote from McCourt mocking the agent and ended withhim stating: "So we start from scratch."

The statement from Boras countered: "We are continuing to work within the scope of the parameters established during our discussion Wednesday afternoon atDodger Stadium, which included a two-year term and ability for the player to void the contract after the first year. Per that face-to-face meeting, we agreedto continue to have discussions until Friday at noon, which included our two proposals today, our most recent at two years, $45 million. We are waiting to heartheir response."

Until the Dodgers and Boras released their respective statements, they appeared to be making progress in the negotiations. The inclusion of the opt-out clause,which would let Ramirez re-enter the free-agent market next winter if he desired, was said by Colletti to be a "significant" concession by theDodgers and "a great stride for them."

The Dodgers included a similar provision in the contract of another Boras client, J.D. Drew, who unexpectedly opted out of a five-year, $55-million deal at theend of the 2006 season, forcing the Dodgers to overpay Juan Pierre to fill his position.

Drew's sudden defection was only one of McCourt's dealings with Boras that drew the owner's ire.

The agent represented Luke Hochevar, the Dodgers' first-round draft choice in 2005, whom the club failed to sign. Hochevar re-entered the draft the nextyear and signed with the Kansas City Royals, who paid him significantly more than what the Dodgers had offered him.

Boras also negotiated a two-year, $36.2-million deal with the Dodgers on behalf of Andruw Jones, who was one of the greatest free-agent busts in history. TheDodgers granted him an unconditional release this winter after deferring most of the $22 million he was still owed.

The Dodgers' news release included this quote from McCourt: "We love Manny Ramirez. And we want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating againstourselves. When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to re-start the negotiations."

The final sentence of that paragraph was a reference to Boras' response to the Dodgers' initial offer, which was also for $45 million over two years.That offer would've paid Ramirez $15 million this season, $22.5 million the next and included a $22.5-million option for 2011 that the Dodgers could'vebought out for $7.5 million.

What were Boras' thoughts?

He said he was looking forward to fielding "serious offers" from other teams when the Dodgers' exclusive window to negotiate with Ramirezexpired.

The Dodgers also offered Ramirez arbitration and a one-year, $25-million deal. Both were rejected.

The Dodgers have made their offers public because, Colletti said Thursday, "most of the time when offers are extended back and forth, they end up seeingthe light of day anyway. We'd rather have them be accurate than inaccurate."

McCourt also said in the news release: "Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents,we actually improved our offer."

Other than the Dodgers, the San Francisco Giants are the only team that has publicly acknowledged its interest in Ramirez. But Giants President Larry Baer saidThursday that his club was maintaining its wait-and-see approach in regard to Ramirez and had no interest in entering a bidding war for his services.

The Giants haven't extended an offer to Ramirez and haven't been asked to do so by Boras, according to Baer.

Baer mentioned that the Giants' failed pursuit of Joe Crede, another Boras client, ended with the agent calling them to give them a final chance to betterthe offer made by the Minnesota Twins. Baer didn't know if he would be given that courtesy with Ramirez.

Etc.

Randy Wolf pitched two scoreless innings in the Dodgers' 16-7 win over the Giants. Fifteen of his 21 pitches were strikes. . . . Andre Ethier (bruisedheel) and Casey Blake (groin) have minor injuries that could sideline them for a couple of days. . . . Veteran utility man Doug Mientkiewicz, who played underDodgers Manager Joe Torre in New York in 2007, was signed to a minor league deal.

1:15pm: According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Manny is willing to accept the Dodgers' most recent offer if the money is not deferred. Most of you have probably already assumed this.
Get it done already, please!
laugh.gif

2:01pm: Giants managing partner Bill Neukom spoke to reporters, including the San Jose Mercury News' Andrew Baggarly, on Friday morning. He left open the possibility of his club making a late run at Ramirez:

"We've been in touch with Manny and his agent for months about this," Neukom said. "We've explored a number of situations. I think by far the Dodgers have been more active. Then there are these other teams Boras has talked about. We're not a phantom team. There are other teams that haven't been named that are in this. So we'll see."

Giants should make an offer, lets make it fun.
nerd.gif

Yeah I read the "details" of that offer and didn't like them either. 10 million guaranteed and the money deferred over the next three years orso, if he were to opt out after 1 year. Ned and Frank are trying to pull an Andruw Jones Pt. 2.

I guess they're just trying to have him under some control for next year. We want a 2 year, Boras wants a 4 year. Give the dude a 3 year deal and let'sget it done.

that sounds good to me.

does anyone know where to find spring training pictures?

Scott Boras & Manny are waiting on the Dodgers to accept their counter of 2 yr $45M with no deferred payments and an opt out clause.

Do it already!
[h1]Manny Ramirez Rumors: Saturday[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 28 at 9:52am CST]

9:52am: According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney some baseball executives estimate that the deferred money offered by the Dodgers would be worth roughly $41MM in present value, including $22.5MM this year. As Olney says, that's still more than the combined base salaries of Bobby Abreu, Orlando Hudson, Pat Burrell, Joe Crede, Cliff Floyd, Mark Loretta and Takashi Saito.

9:19am: Yesterday, we heard that the Dodgers' most recent offer to Manny Ramirez included deferred money, but Manny and Scott Boras want a deal without deferred payments. Today, a trio of LA Times writers kick off the Manny rumors.

Dylan Hernandez reports that Manny and Scott Boras are waiting to hear whether the Dodgers will accept their counter-offer of two years and $45MM, without any deferred money and with an opt-out clause for Manny at the end of this year.

Bill Shaikin points out just how much the economy has changed since the Dodgers first offered Manny a deal and Brian Kamenetzky writes that Manny shouldn't expect to make as much as A-Rod.

the press is eating this up.. they are stickin it to the dodgers and and boras.
pretty sad. i hate that we are caught up in this. you always read about teams that have to deal with this, but i never thought it would happen to an LA team.

it seems like the bridge is burnt, and manny's sensitive attitude is over LA.. and if he were to come here, he would sand bag himself.

should be an interesting year i guess.

Back
Top Bottom