****OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NEW ORLEANS HORNETS SEASON THREAD (12-5)**** NXT GM: 12/01 vs. Charlotte

So who's winning it tonight, hornets or mavericks? The hornets obviously have been playing great ball. But I think Dallas is a taller team. This is a tough1.

So who's winning it tonight, hornets or mavericks? The hornets obviously have been playing great ball. But I think Dallas is a taller team. This is a tough1.

To those complaining about Thornton's lack of minutes... let me divulge a little personal, unbiased, first-hand view opinion.

I watched Marcus play the entire time he was at LSU (many of the games in person) and I followed the Hornets last year as a casual fan once CP3 went down, mainly because EVERY home game is broadcast.

The guy can flat out score. That was apparent during the latter part of his tenure at LSU. And from what I'm told from guys who grew up in Baton Rouge and watched him play HS ball, it's always been that way. I've even seen him play against some former LSU players at our student rec (back when I was a student) and the dude can give just about anyone buckets when he's feeling it.

He's the issue with Marcus Thornton. His defense is suspect, at best. He doesn't lack the physical tools to play defense, and his basketball IQ, while it isn't the highest, isn't that of a monkey either. It always just appeared to be an effort situation. Like many natural scorers, it really just seems like he's more concerned with what he's going to do next time down on offense, so he takes an instinctive laissez faire attitude toward defense.

I've seen him play lockdown D, well, as close as he's going to get, in both the NBA and at LSU. He's had moments where the game was on the line late or it was a big time game and he stepped up and took care of business on his man, because like I said, the physical tools are there. He just doesn't do that consistently.

Add on top of that that his instinct is that of shooting guard, despite his size, and Monty Williams clear appreciation for defensive intensity, and it makes sense why he might be getting buried on the bench. They brought in Bayless in order for him to back up Paul... so I don't see them going 3 deep at PG.

The way it seems from the few games I've gone to this year, it's

PG: CP3, Bayless
SG: Bellineli, Green
SF: Ariza, Pondexter
PF: West, Smith
C: Okafor, Mbenga

I'm REALLY impressed with Marco's shooting thus far this year, I was VERY high on that acquisition in the offseason, so I'm glad to see it paying off early. At first, like many, I was confused as to Thornton not getting what I figured would be the nod at starting SG, but with Bellineli shooting just as good, if not better than MT, and CP3 back, I can understand why the rotation is as above.

Green and Bayless HUSTLE. They both have a tendency to shoot a little quick, but they also play tough D, and I guess for Monty Williams, that's a fair trade. Also, in all of the prospective trade talks the Hornets have been rumored to be in, from Melo to Iggy, Thornton is usually the guy paired up with Peja as part of the deal, so that might also factor into why his minutes have diminished.

To those complaining about Thornton's lack of minutes... let me divulge a little personal, unbiased, first-hand view opinion.

I watched Marcus play the entire time he was at LSU (many of the games in person) and I followed the Hornets last year as a casual fan once CP3 went down, mainly because EVERY home game is broadcast.

The guy can flat out score. That was apparent during the latter part of his tenure at LSU. And from what I'm told from guys who grew up in Baton Rouge and watched him play HS ball, it's always been that way. I've even seen him play against some former LSU players at our student rec (back when I was a student) and the dude can give just about anyone buckets when he's feeling it.

He's the issue with Marcus Thornton. His defense is suspect, at best. He doesn't lack the physical tools to play defense, and his basketball IQ, while it isn't the highest, isn't that of a monkey either. It always just appeared to be an effort situation. Like many natural scorers, it really just seems like he's more concerned with what he's going to do next time down on offense, so he takes an instinctive laissez faire attitude toward defense.

I've seen him play lockdown D, well, as close as he's going to get, in both the NBA and at LSU. He's had moments where the game was on the line late or it was a big time game and he stepped up and took care of business on his man, because like I said, the physical tools are there. He just doesn't do that consistently.

Add on top of that that his instinct is that of shooting guard, despite his size, and Monty Williams clear appreciation for defensive intensity, and it makes sense why he might be getting buried on the bench. They brought in Bayless in order for him to back up Paul... so I don't see them going 3 deep at PG.

The way it seems from the few games I've gone to this year, it's

PG: CP3, Bayless
SG: Bellineli, Green
SF: Ariza, Pondexter
PF: West, Smith
C: Okafor, Mbenga

I'm REALLY impressed with Marco's shooting thus far this year, I was VERY high on that acquisition in the offseason, so I'm glad to see it paying off early. At first, like many, I was confused as to Thornton not getting what I figured would be the nod at starting SG, but with Bellineli shooting just as good, if not better than MT, and CP3 back, I can understand why the rotation is as above.

Green and Bayless HUSTLE. They both have a tendency to shoot a little quick, but they also play tough D, and I guess for Monty Williams, that's a fair trade. Also, in all of the prospective trade talks the Hornets have been rumored to be in, from Melo to Iggy, Thornton is usually the guy paired up with Peja as part of the deal, so that might also factor into why his minutes have diminished.

It had to happen eventually, right?

Right...?
laugh.gif

Back home Wednesday. Let's go.

What was up with that trip by Dirk? I hope that dude gets fined and suspended trying to sabotage our season
indifferent.gif

What was up with that trip by Dirk? I hope that dude gets fined and suspended trying to sabotage our season
indifferent.gif

Yo, Ariza is fired from inbounding duties.

Monday, he settled on giving the last shot to Okafor when we had a timeout to use, and then that nonsense tonight that could have cost us the game.
30t6p3b.gif

Yo, Ariza is fired from inbounding duties.

Monday, he settled on giving the last shot to Okafor when we had a timeout to use, and then that nonsense tonight that could have cost us the game.
30t6p3b.gif

Yea I saw that but to me it looked like Kidd was holding Peja back but he did screw up twice in that last 4 mins of the game.

Yea I saw that but to me it looked like Kidd was holding Peja back but he did screw up twice in that last 4 mins of the game.

-After 17 games, the Hornets would've played Portland twice, Bucks twice, Spurs twice, Dallas twice, and the Clippers twice. NBA must not care about diversity. Then they don't play Dallas again until March and they finished the season series with the Spurs in January. Who seriously makes these schedules that you go 3-4 months without playing your divisional opponents. 
-Demps better get some value for Marcus cause its obvious that him and Monty probably will never go to the movies together. 

-David West has gotten better by doing less if that makes sense. He doesn't force shots, he makes better decisions with the basketball, and he actually plays defense. He looks forward to playing defense as if he enjoys it now. It's kinda like I take it personal if he gives up an easy bucket these days. 

-After 17 games, the Hornets would've played Portland twice, Bucks twice, Spurs twice, Dallas twice, and the Clippers twice. NBA must not care about diversity. Then they don't play Dallas again until March and they finished the season series with the Spurs in January. Who seriously makes these schedules that you go 3-4 months without playing your divisional opponents. 
-Demps better get some value for Marcus cause its obvious that him and Monty probably will never go to the movies together. 

-David West has gotten better by doing less if that makes sense. He doesn't force shots, he makes better decisions with the basketball, and he actually plays defense. He looks forward to playing defense as if he enjoys it now. It's kinda like I take it personal if he gives up an easy bucket these days. 

Marcus showed up on the injury report before this one. "Right quad." I'm doubting that. 
laugh.gif

Anyway, terrible first quarter, followed by one of the best of the season. The bench played well, the defense picked up and Marco spazzed down the stretch.

Let's go.

Marcus showed up on the injury report before this one. "Right quad." I'm doubting that. 
laugh.gif

Anyway, terrible first quarter, followed by one of the best of the season. The bench played well, the defense picked up and Marco spazzed down the stretch.

Let's go.

Hung on, but that fourth quarter letdown really put it too close.

First game giving up 100+.
grin.gif

Ariza - 3-12 from the field, 1-5 from the line.
sick.gif

I love a good D. West takeover game.

Ten up, one down.
pimp.gif

Hung on, but that fourth quarter letdown really put it too close.

First game giving up 100+.
grin.gif

Ariza - 3-12 from the field, 1-5 from the line.
sick.gif

I love a good D. West takeover game.

Ten up, one down.
pimp.gif

Shoot 32% on the road and win? I'll take it.

Those minutes without a backup one were brutal, too.

Okafor got handled by Dalembert.
30t6p3b.gif

Clippers tomorrow. Let's go.

Back
Top Bottom