Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

Carlos Beltran trade to San Francisco Giants awaits his approval
by USA Today Top Sports News Feed on Jul. 27, 2011, under USA Today Sports

A trade that would send Carlos Beltran from the New York Mets to the San Francisco Giants has been agreed upon and only awaits approval from the Mets outfielder.

The deal could be approved as soon as today, according to a person close to Beltran with knowledge of the trade, but not authorized to speak publicly on it because talks are ongoing.

Beltran, hitting .289 with a .904 OPS, would provide an immediate jolt to a Giants lineup that has struggled all season, particularly since the loss of catcher Buster Posey to a season-ending injury. Beltran, who has a no-trade clause, can become a free agent after this season.

Multiple reports indicate that outfielder Gary Brown will be the centerpiece of the package going back to the Mets, though recent reports indicate it may be pitcher Zach Wheeler. Brown was the Giants’ first-round draft pick, 24th overall, in 2010. He is hitting .317 with a .386 on-base-percentage, 24 doubles and 24 steals at high-A San Jose. Wheeler was the sixth overall pick in 2009.

Copyright 2011 USATODAY.com

And let's be real, I know we value our prospects but we're talking about Carlos Beltran being the difference in winning back-to-back WS championships.

And let's be real, I know we value our prospects but we're talking about Carlos Beltran being the difference in winning back-to-back WS championships.

I'm not upset over this. Their willingness to trade Wheeler means he may not be as good as first projected. Time will tell, but the time to win is now, so the move, I like.

I'm not upset over this. Their willingness to trade Wheeler means he may not be as good as first projected. Time will tell, but the time to win is now, so the move, I like.

The Lasers
laugh.gif

Sources: Giants have deal in place for Beltran

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...nts_mets_deadline_072711

New York Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran(notes), the prize of this summer’s non-waiver trading deadline, is likely headed to the San Francisco Giants, according to two sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

From a field that included the Philadelphia Phillies, Texas Rangers and Atlanta Braves, the defending World Series champion Giants ultimately had the greatest need for the switch-hitting slugger and came with the highest bid – speculation had that being 21-year-old right-hander Zack Wheeler, the sixth pick in the 2009 draft.

The Mets presumably will pay a large portion of the remainder of Beltran’s salary, about $6 million.

The trade could not be announced because Beltran has no-trade, 10-and-5 protection that requires a 24-hour window before official consummation. Beltran will approve the trade.

Beltran, who has overcome recent knee issues to reclaim his place among the game’s top hitters, could join the Giants on Thursday night in Philadelphia.

Beltran =
200qpuh.jpg

Sources: Giants have deal in place for Beltran

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...nts_mets_deadline_072711

New York Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran(notes), the prize of this summer’s non-waiver trading deadline, is likely headed to the San Francisco Giants, according to two sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

From a field that included the Philadelphia Phillies, Texas Rangers and Atlanta Braves, the defending World Series champion Giants ultimately had the greatest need for the switch-hitting slugger and came with the highest bid – speculation had that being 21-year-old right-hander Zack Wheeler, the sixth pick in the 2009 draft.

The Mets presumably will pay a large portion of the remainder of Beltran’s salary, about $6 million.

The trade could not be announced because Beltran has no-trade, 10-and-5 protection that requires a 24-hour window before official consummation. Beltran will approve the trade.

Beltran, who has overcome recent knee issues to reclaim his place among the game’s top hitters, could join the Giants on Thursday night in Philadelphia.

Beltran =
200qpuh.jpg

[table][tr][th="col"]M. Cain SF
7495.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]C. Hamels Phi
7509.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]8-6[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]12-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.06[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]2.62[/td] [/tr][tr][td]116[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]134[/td] [/tr][tr][td]36[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]29[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.11[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]0.96[/td][/tr][/table]
San Francisco Giants Lineup:
Rowand, CF
Fontenot, SS
Sandoval, 3B
Huff, 1B
Keppinger, 2B
Ross, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Whiteside, C
Cain, RHP

Philadelphia Phillies Lineup:
Rollins, SS
Martinez, 3B
Utley, 2B
Howard, 1B
Victorino, CF
Ibanez, LF
Brown, RF
Ruiz, C
Hamels, LHP

I won't lose sleep over the Beltran deal. I'm pumped for the deal and he addresses our problems. However, I don't like how they want to move Nate to left and play Beltran in right. Move Beltran to left and let Nate continue to play right.

7495.jpg
7509.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]8-6[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]12-5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.06[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]2.62[/td] [/tr][tr][td]116[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]134[/td] [/tr][tr][td]36[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]29[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.11[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]0.96[/td][/tr][/table]
Rowand, CF
Fontenot, SS
Sandoval, 3B
Huff, 1B
Keppinger, 2B
Ross, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Whiteside, C
Cain, RHP

Rollins, SS
Martinez, 3B
Utley, 2B
Howard, 1B
Victorino, CF
Ibanez, LF
Brown, RF
Ruiz, C
Hamels, LHP

I won't lose sleep over the Beltran deal. I'm pumped for the deal and he addresses our problems. However, I don't like how they want to move Nate to left and play Beltran in right. Move Beltran to left and let Nate continue to play right.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

7495.jpg
7509.jpg
Rowand, CF
Fontenot, SS
Sandoval, 3B
Huff, 1B
Keppinger, 2B
Ross, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Whiteside, C
Cain, RHP

Rollins, SS
Martinez, 3B
Utley, 2B
Howard, 1B
Victorino, CF
Ibanez, LF
Brown, RF
Ruiz, C
Hamels, LHP

Completely agree I really do not understand this. Nate plays our right field perfectly.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

7495.jpg
7509.jpg
Rowand, CF
Fontenot, SS
Sandoval, 3B
Huff, 1B
Keppinger, 2B
Ross, LF
Schierholtz, RF
Whiteside, C
Cain, RHP

Rollins, SS
Martinez, 3B
Utley, 2B
Howard, 1B
Victorino, CF
Ibanez, LF
Brown, RF
Ruiz, C
Hamels, LHP

Completely agree I really do not understand this. Nate plays our right field perfectly.
30t6p3b.gif

I will be pissed if Belt gets demoted again.  How are you going to demote him when he should be starting at 1B over Huff? SMH

I will be pissed if Belt gets demoted again.  How are you going to demote him when he should be starting at 1B over Huff? SMH

Back
Top Bottom