Official 2013 NFL Washington Diplomats SEASON Thread - Last Game 12/29 @ 1:00 PM vs. Giants

[h1]NFL Washington Diplomats 2013 Season Thread[/h1][h1]Current Record:  3 - 13[/h1][table][tr][th="col"]  [/th][th="col"]  [/th][th="col"]2013 Schedule[/th][th="col"]  [/th][th="col"]  [/th][/tr][tr][td]Wk[/td][td]Date[/td][td]Opponent[/td][td]Time (EST)[/td][td]Score[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Monday, 9/9[/td][td]Philadelphia Eagles[/td][td]7:00 PM on ESPN[/td][td]  L 27-33[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Sunday, 9/15[/td][td]@ Green Bay Packers[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 38-20[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Sunday, 9/22[/td][td]Detroit Lions[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 20-27[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Sunday, 9/29[/td][td]@ Oakland Raiders[/td][td]4:25 PM[/td][td]  W 24-14[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]BYE WEEK[/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Sunday, 10/13[/td][td]@ Dallas Cowboys[/td][td]8:30 PM on NBC[/td][td]  L 31-16[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Sunday, 10/20[/td][td]Chicago Bears[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  W 45-41[/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]Sunday, 10/27[/td][td]@ Denver Broncos[/td][td]4:25 PM[/td][td]  L 45-21[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Sunday, 11/3[/td][td]San Diego Chargers[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  W 30-24[/td][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Thursday, 11/7[/td][td]@ Minnesota Vikings[/td][td]8:25 PM on NFL [/td][td]  L 34-27[/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Sunday, 11/17[/td][td]@ Philadelphia Eagles[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 24-16[/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Monday, 11/25[/td][td]San Francisco 49ers[/td][td]8:30 PM on ESPN[/td][td]  L 6-27[/td][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]Sunday, 12/1[/td][td]New York Giants[/td][td]8:30 PM on NBC[/td][td]  L 17-24[/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Sunday, 12/8[/td][td]Kansas City [/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 10-45[/td][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Sunday 12/15[/td][td]@ Atlanta Falcons[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 27-26[/td][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]Sunday, 12/22[/td][td]Dallas Cowboys[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 24-23[/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Sunday, 12/29[/td][td]@ New York Giants[/td][td]1:00 PM[/td][td]  L 20-6[/td][/tr][/table]

Last edited by a moderator:
Critical to get a good start if they want to make the playoffs which is absolutely possible. Can't wait to see Mr.Griffin and the offense grow!

They will wear these twice this season. The one game for sure is the home game vs Carolina when they induct 10 more into the list of Greatest ******** they originally made in 2002. I think the other game they wear it is at Dallas.

Here's a link to vote 10 more in : http://www.*******s80th.com/vote/

It closes real soon. I voted for :
Bobby Bethard
Joe Bugel
Ritchie Petibon
Mel Kaufman
Darryl Grant
Clint Didier
LaVar
Chris Samuels
Clinton Portis
Sean Taylor

I'm going to look at the schedule two ways...

50/50 = meaning either team can win - we're not good enough to chalk things up to automatic wins like the Pats/Ravens/etc...

and

No shot = obvious loss

Here's what I've got.

N.O. = 50/50 (bounty-gate helps, but we'll need to control the ball and keep Brees off the field)

STL = 50/50

Cincy = 50/50

Tampa Bay = 50/50

Atlanta = 50/50

Minnesota = 50/50

New York = 50/50

Pittsburgh = No Shot

Carolina = 50/50

Philly = 50/50

Dallas = 50/50

New York = 50/50

Baltimore = No Shot

Cleveland = 50/50

Philly = 50/50

Dallas = 50/50

Like I said...I'm hoping for 8-8.  Start of the season is VERY important.  Would love to be 4-2 going into the NY/Pittsburgh games. 

:pimp: that Tenard Jackson is looking real good in practice. I'm hoping he and Merriweather are the starters and form a decent duo.

I want Dez Briscoe to make the team. Garcon, Moss, Hank, Morgan, Austin and Briscoe are the 6 I got making it. Tough to see Banks and AAA go but I guess that's how it is and should be when there's only so many spots.

Here's how I see things going:

N.O. = L

STL = W

Cincy = L

Tampa Bay = W

Atlanta = L

Minnesota = W

New York = L

Pittsburgh = L

Carolina = L

Philly = W

Dallas = L

New York = L

Baltimore = W, you usually win one game you shouldn't, and the Ravens are likely to drop a game to an average team. Flacco will have one of his off games or something.

Cleveland = W

Philly = L

Dallas = W

7-9 with a few close losses in there and some signs of hope and I'll be happy with the season. The OL and secondary still need some work. If we can get some unexpected contributions from there or make some improvements there next offseason I think we'll be set to contend for a playoff spot in 2013.

10-6

If we get off to a good start and stay injury-free, I can really seeing us having a surprise season.

Our O line will be key.

....HEAD

Critical to get a good start if they want to make the playoffs which is absolutely possible. Can't wait to see Mr.Griffin and the offense grow!

Basically! You said it!

There will be growing pains! no doubt his name is Jesus

I just want to see him make it through this year healthy and see some progress in his learning as the season goes on.

My two biggest questions marks is our secondary (particularly the safety’s) and the O-line. Hopefully the front seven can be dominate because of continuity and the addition of Jarvis Jenkins and Chris Baker. So the back-end can benefit from that. Tanard Jackson at FS and Brandon Meriwether at SS can work because they are both talented and our probably playing with the best front seven they have ever played with throughout their careers. The thing with those two are they both have mental lapse front time to time and that won’t be good for the D as whole. Hope they can develop some nice chemistry this off/preseason, they are all we have. (DeJon Gomes, Madieu Williams and Reed are reserve safety's at this point in their careers)

:pimp: that Tenard Jackson is looking real good in practice. I'm hoping he and Merriweather are the starters and form a decent duo.
I want Dez Briscoe to make the team. Garcon, Moss, Hank, Morgan, Austin and Briscoe are the 6 I got making it. Tough to see Banks and AAA go but I guess that's how it is and should be when there's only so many spots.

I got:

1) Garcon (Starter)
2) Hankerson/Morgan (Looks like Hank is going to start opposite Garcon, but its still early)
3) Morgan/Hankerson
4) Santana Moss (Slot WR)

Those four we no are locked to make it: (Garcon, Hankerson, Moss, Morgan)

5) AAA (if he can get healthy and practice)
6) Brandon Banks or Aldrick Robinson

I know that both Banks and Aldrick can fly but the coaching staff is real high on Aldrick this year, and its no need to keep two WR's that can do the samething. Banks has also been making plays in practice on offense as well.

I wish we could keep both, whoever has the better preseason will probably be the one that stays.
Also Terrance Austin is a sleeper, he has been on the team for a while and still cant carve out niche. He is probably gone unless he has a monster preseason as well.

Checking in.
nthat.gif

If Tim Hightower starts doe
mean.gif
I think Royster is gonna be the starter w. Helu being option 1a. 

Hightower = short yardage. 

If he's healthy.

I read Cooley is playing some FB now.  I think he sees the writing on the wall.  Dude is clearly behind Fred Davis and probably niles paul.  He makes a ton of money and I think he's doing whatever he can to stay on board - I really think he's gonna be cut. 

Thanks for hitting me up GIFT....

My take on seeing dudes at events ...hanging out and obviously covering the team is one of optimism but controlled optimism. The thing I hate most in the Industry is people ALREADY predicting the season and they haven't even gone full pads.

Yes Jamal Brown is injured... Yes they have RG III.... but its still Training Camp.  We dont know what injuries will hit other teams before the season starts.  I said three years ago we should have gotten rid of Cooley for picks.. not because I didnt like him... but because he was near his end and now three years later we still dont know what he can give us.

I think he will be ok.. but for how long and to what extent.  Niles Paul has been gearing up but folks forget about Logan Paulsen and they even have my man Zo taking snaps at Tight End.

Fred Davis will be the work horse and bail out and go to for RG III.

For the line people forget who complain we didnt draft enough that you can only carry up to 8. They drafted 2 or 3 I forget.. AND still had plenty of backups who performed pretty well while stepping in.  You cant keep all the starters ALL the back ups and draft ten line man. It doesnt work that way.  What you hope is the back ups return. You develop the draft picks and returning starters are what they used to be... save for Jamal who was always injury prone.

At the Backs position... I know folks have a favorite.. but its not like the QB position where if you have two you have none. I'll take Royster, Helu, and Hightower putting in work while they also have another rook in there Doyce I forget the spelling who is impressing...BUT again.. they are going thud up top and its not full contact.   These things have to shake themselves out in Pre season.

At the WR's Anthony Armstrong is my man... so Im bias. he was done wrong last season and they were bringing in dudes off the street to fill in and he was still their only deep threat.  This season with Morgan, Garcon, and Anthony they can mix things up and have Moss create Match up problems in the slot.  The obvious is RG III having the ability to pull it down and run... but what NO ONE brings up is do we have the WRs and Backs to block should this happen. 

Forget the Oline.. if he has to run obviously THEY arent doing their job. 

If Rex EVER has to come into the game... cancel Christmas. My hopes are he becomes the 3rd QB as Kirk beats him out.. because Cousins will NOT be put on the practice squad. He wasn't drafted to be put on ANYONE's Practice squad.

Shannahan is nothing else if he isn't calculated. This is why he has guys playing several positions. Asking Niles to play TE as well makes him an automatic WR backup. Asking Zo to take snaps at TE makes him a back up everywhere. Niles can also return kicks.. making Banks a luxury. If you have enough diverse players you can keep 3 QBs on the roster and simply make Kirk inactive or if he comes up to speed you have a celebration if you are  a Skins fan and Rex is cut.

I would speak on the Defense.. but when it comes down to it.. they did well in the 3 - 4 their first year moreso than anyone thought they would and WE as a Fan Base balked at that notion. As long as Reed Doughty doesnt make the squad as a starter.. Im good.   It would be an indictment on ALL others playing that position if he makes the team as a starter or gets major minutes at the position. 

Jenkins is back which makes the D line better. Kerrigan cant surprise anyone this season and Orakpo (GOD willing) has added some moves to his limited moves off the line. Perry and London will be solid but its all about how that D line pans out.

Im not making a season prediction until the last preseason game but think to yourselves.. If WE got better.. dont you think the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants did too?  Thats the scary part.  

I hope Morgan BEASTS for you guys. Hated losing him. He is one guy that I have always thought was limited by the lack of skill of one Alex Smith, more so than just not having the ability.

I hope Morgan BEASTS for you guys. Hated losing him. He is one guy that I have always thought was limited by the lack of skill of one Alex Smith, more so than just not having the ability.

Always felt this way about him too..and he will do the dirty work he is good blocker.

Loving the depth the Skins have at WR it has been a long time coming since drafting Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly :x

Lets go Hank :nthat:

Always felt this way about him too..and he will do the dirty work he is good blocker.
Loving the depth the Skins have at WR it has been a long time coming since drafting Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly :x
Lets go Hank :nthat:

Mix in the healing of Leonard Jankerson and the Santana moss and we now have a receiving quartet that now has some potential compared to last year. Now on to the running back spot. Roy Helu or Evan Royster?

Royster is not a special NFL talent in anyway but he fits the system to perfection and we have seen what Shanahan has done with average talents before. I trust him when it comes to picking running backs for his scheme.

Helu has game breaking speed but he is not elusive he doesnt have great vision but he is tough and finishes runs and he is the most explosive back they have.

If Royster produces like we expect Shanahan backs to produce then I do not mind seeing Helu get 5-8 touches a game. But if Royster flounders I am scared Shanahan will not pull the plug on him and if he does I am scared he will go back to Hightower. Helu is going to get the short end of the stick no matter what here because he doesnt fit the system like Shanahan likes but he is clearly the most talented of the backs.

RG3 is what will really make this running game go because he is going to take a man with him on those bootlegs and he is gonna get spied hopefully he can boost the running game to cover for any mistake Shanahan makes in picking his "favorite" back.

We will see how it plays out.

If Royster runs for 1000+ yards this is moot.

Last edited:
Royster is not a special NFL talent in anyway but he fits the system to perfection and we have seen what Shanahan has done with average talents before. I trust him when it comes to picking running backs for his scheme.
Helu has game breaking speed but he is not elusive he doesnt have great vision but he is tough and finishes runs and he is the most explosive back they have.
If Royster produces like we expect Shanahan backs to produce then I do not mind seeing Helu get 5-8 touches a game. But if Royster flounders I am scared Shanahan will not pull the plug on him and if he does I am scared he will go back to Hightower. Helu is going to get the short end of the stick no matter what here because he doesnt fit the system like Shanahan likes but he is clearly the most talented of the backs.
RG3 is what will really make this running game go because he is going to take a man with him on those bootlegs and he is gonna get spied hopefully he can boost the running game to cover for any mistake Shanahan makes in picking his "favorite" back.
We will see how it plays out.
If Royster runs for 1000+ yards this is moot.

Ugh a 'Skins thread, alright I'll play since most heads are AWOL from the Giants thread....

I think Royster is a sounder option for early-down work. Helu needs more time to develop that vision, I notice he makes a lot of unnecessary movements when he can accomplish what he's trying to do in one move. He's got happy feet and pass-blocking issues.

Royster has been reportedly impressing the coaching staff at OTAs and he really flashed his stuff (pause) in the final two games of last season.

Granted we have a limited sample size to work with (59-328-0, 5.9 YPC) Royster impressed the hell out of me with his physicality when he took the field last season. Finished the season with two back to back 100 yard performances.

I like Helu as a change of pace Sproles type of back. Big play ability that will be a lot more effective with Royster tiring out opposing defenses early on.

Last edited:
Just glad to see the Skins have a face of the franchise and hopefully a player in RG III who will be here for years to come. It has been a longgggg last 20 years. I have grown tired of the over zealous Skins fan who think every year is the year.

I am a realist and know the Skins will probably win couple games they shouldn't and lose many that they should win. I think a 6-10 or 7-9 season is realistic...as long as I see the team show signs of growth.

checking in.. first time in a long time (Gibbs second season as coach) that I really think we will make the playoffs.

I have a strong belief that the Giants will not even make the playoffs and the Eagles either. I might go as far to say we will win NFC east.

Can't wait till Thursday. RGII is definitely a blessing. Hope he can stay healthy.

Rocks gonna have a stroke if Reed has to play extended mins :rofl:

Totally agree that it's a great thing to see many Versatile players on the team just in case.

I agree with Js about CC. Ya'll heard Devin Thomas retired a few days ago. :lol: :lol: Thanks Vinny. :x

Last edited:
Rocks gonna have a stroke if Reed has to play extended mins :rofl:
Totally agree that it's a great thing to see many Versatile players on the team just in case.
I agree with Js about CC. Ya'll heard Devin Thomas retired a few days ago. :lol: :lol: Thanks Vinny. :x
I saw that :smh: where's Malcolm Kelly at? Anyway I'm pretty hyped to see what RGIII will do tomorrow.

I saw that :smh: where's Malcolm Kelly at? Anyway I'm pretty hyped to see what RGIII will do tomorrow.

Yeah it will be interesting....not the most ideal of situations with a banged up Skins offensive line going up against a solid Bill's D-Line with replacement officials who might not be up to par making calls against illegal moves or cheap shots, would hate to see RG III go down in the preseason.

Welp, it's preaseason so if the Skins win tomorrow....the Washington Post will be planning that SuperBowl parade down 14th street right?

Welp, it's preaseason so if the Skins win tomorrow....the Washington Post will be planning that SuperBowl parade down 14th street right?

Wouldn't be the D.C media if they didn't build you up only to viciously tear you down at the first sight of something not going well. :lol:

I haven't been this excited for the preseason opener since Gibbs cameback. :lol: Merry Griffmas everyone!

Wouldn't be the D.C media if they didn't build you up only to viciously tear you down at the first sight of something not going well. :lol:
I haven't been this excited for the preseason opener since Gibbs cameback. :lol: Merry Griffmas everyone!

Sounds about right, DC is longgggggggggggg overdue for some good Sports energy in the city. Nationals have the best record in baseball, Orioles are actually relevant in August, Beal looks promising on the Wizards....just need the Capitals to get over there postseason woes.

Back
Top Bottom