Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by proshares, Jan 5, 2016.
Nigel Collins: Fights we want to see in 2016.
GGG va Canelo and Wilder vs Fury are my dream matchups for 2016. Still can't believe Fury beat Klitschko, I wanted Wilder to fight him
Thanks for starting a new thread @Proshares
Did I really just read "James Toney"?
Would like to see Rigo/Lomachenko.
#4 is a close second to #1.
#5 should be a good one, two solid 165 lb cats on fight night
1,2,and 4 would be my top 3.
I'd like to see Crawford-Matthysse made sometime in 16. Hopefully after Bud fights Lundy.
In for 2016
I'd love to see Thurman vs Garcia sometime this year.
Wayyyy better fight than Thurman vs Porter, would love to see that. But those are two of PBCs top attractions right now so of course I doubt it gets made
They left out Rigondeaux vs Lomachenko.
In for 2016
All i want to see is Canelo vs GGG this year. Fury rematch will be a snooze fest. Manny vs Bradley 3 will be nothing i want to see.
Would like to see Rigo vs Lomanchenko and Ward vs a human being
This should be a good year for boxing.
I just want Ward to get in at least two fights this year.
Lmaoooooo got em
Billy Joe Saunders has told Gennady Golovkin to improve his offer or cede home advantage.
Billy Joe Saunders has told world middleweight No.1 Gennady Golovkin he needs to make him a better offer or agree to fight him in England.
WBA-IBF champion Golovkin's team last week made Saunders an offer believed to be £2.2million to face the Kazakh knockout machine in a world title unification clash.
Saunders (23-0, 12 KOs), 26, won the WBO belt after flooring Irishman Andy Lee twice in the third round before earning a unanimous points decision last month.
Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs), 33, is on a mission to hold all four world title belts and hopes to face Saunders on April 23 before another unification fight with Mexico's WBC champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KOs) late this year.
But Saunders, from Hatfield, says he will only consider an improved offer or the concession of him getting home advantage.
"An offer has been made but people need to understand I don't have a loss on my record and it's not like Golovkin's last opponent David Lemieux who had lost twice before he fought him," Saunders told ESPN.
"I believe I'm a better champion than Lemieux was so deserve more. They [Golovkin's team] are not chucking peanuts around but I'm not going in there just to pick the money up.
"If I take the fight with Golovkin I genuinely believe I could beat him but they have got to put some proper money on the table and if they do that then I will do it.
"I could earn that money against someone else. They are offering life changing money but it's not just about that because it would be a big risk for me.
"They've got to pay me more money than I would get for the Chris Eubank Jr rematch.
"Now I'm world champion I've got options and I could make my money elsewhere. Most definitely the fight with Golovkin will happen at some point, most definitely. He wants to fight me because he wants to unify all the belts."
Saunders -- one of 12 world champions from Britain -- is confident the fight with Golovkin will happen, but is not certain yet it will be his next fight which he expects to be in March or April.
The Briton accepts he would be a big underdog should he face GGG in a first defence with the US-based Kazakh who is on a 21-fight knockout run with 15 consecutive title defences.
"I'm not ruling out fighting Golovkin next, I've got to talk to my manager and Frank Warren about it," Saunders said. "I will fight him but I would like it to be in England and if they can do that I would take a bit less, but they have to give me something.
"But there are other middleweights out there for me like [British champion] Nick Blackwell and unbeaten American fighters or even Lemieux.
"I would be a big underdog against Golovkin but I believe I could pull off the upset."
Saunders' promoter Frank Warren is planning more talks next week with K2 Promotions, who represent California-based Golovkin.
Judge denies Al Haymon bid to have Top Rank's $100M lawsuit tossed.
A federal judge denied Premier Boxing Champions creator Al Haymon's motion to dismiss Top Rank's $100 million lawsuit against him on Wednesday, allowing the case to proceed to discovery and, if it gets that far, a jury trial.
On July 1, Top Rank filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles contending Haymon's PBC series is monopolistic and violates federal antitrust laws as well as the federal Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act. Haymon has purchased tens of millions of dollars worth of time for the PBC series on a multitude of television networks, including ESPN, NBC/NBC Sports Net, CBS, Spike TV, Fox/Fox Sports 1 and Bounce TV.
The Ali Act makes it illegal to act as both a manager, who has a fiduciary duty to a boxer, and a promoter, who does not.
Top Rank has alleged that Haymon serves in both capacities for most of the 200-plus fighters in his stable and merely hires what the lawsuit calls "sham" promoters to do his bidding.
In late October, Top Rank's case was dealt a blow when Judge John F. Walter dismissed its antitrust claims, one of the core aspects of the suit, in a written order. Walter also granted co-defendant Waddell & Reed's motion to be dismissed from the suit.
Waddell & Reed is the Kansas City-based investment group that Haymon lined up to invest more than $400 million from its $40 billion hedge fund in order to bankroll the PBC, which launched last March and has since put on more than 40 cards, with dozens more planned for this year and next.
Walter also gave Top Rank the opportunity to file an amended complaint, minus Waddell and Reed, against Haymon. Top Rank did that shortly after the ruling, and, in a two-page ruling on Wednesday, Walter dismissed Haymon's motion to dismiss the case and said it could proceed based on the amended complaint.
Walter wrote in his ruling that "although the Haymon Defendants' arguments are very persuasive," he did not believe that Haymon had presented enough evidence to warrant a dismissal.
"The Court concludes that the issues raised by the Haymon Defendants with respect to Top Rank's federal antitrust claims are more appropriately resolved on a motion for summary judgment," Walter wrote.
Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said he was pleased by the ruling in Top Rank's favor. He has had a fierce rivalry with Haymon for years that was only briefly set aside last year in order to finalize the revenue-record-shattering mega fight between Arum's star fighter, Manny Pacquiao, and Haymon's top client, Floyd Mayweather.
"I'm delighted with the ruling, but I don't want to discuss it any further," Arum told ESPN.com.
Haymon does not speak with the media. A Haymon spokesman declined to comment.
Haymon also faces a $300 million lawsuit from Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions filed on similar grounds.