Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

On the flipside Melo got his "more help" and has been disgustingly terrible. It's evident he fell off a few years ago and people have been using the Knicks' troubles as an excuse. His decline definitely began while he was in NY, as his athleticism fell off a cliff and he would not add to or adapt his game.

Also this is a very different roster from what we had in 2014. Significantly worse and younger.
Melo is clearly past his prime now, no arguing that. I was more referring to like 2014-2016 where Melo took heat for not carrying basically the worst roster in the NBA to the playoffs. I still like him and the Thunder in the playoffs though, all those guys are gamers.

And in 2014 Melo was 100% ready to take the next step after the underwhelming loss to the Pacers in 2013. He upped his game in every single way from what was already the best season of his career in 2013. Problem was the rest of the team didn't take the step forward with him.

JR was a ****ing joke that season. Disgraceful turnaround after winning 6th man and stepping up as Melo's secondary scorer in 2013 that all started with the Terry headbutt in the 2013 playoffs. JR was never the same player from that moment on and didn't start showing effort in 2014 until it was too late and they made a half hearted effort to get hot late and chase the Hawks for the 8 seed. Tyson was constantly injured and nowhere near the DPOY caliber emotional leader we saw in 2012 and 2013. Shump badly regressed after looking like he was ready to take the next step following a good playoffs after being a full-time starter on a 54 win team as a 2nd year player. Felton got fat again and was ****ing abysmal. STAT was a shell of himself by that point.

We acquired Bargs who was a negative just in himself. And we lost Kidd, Sheed, Camby, and Kurt. The only vets who stayed around were Prigioni and K-Mart who were another year older and not quite as effective as they were the year prior. Only player who really stepped up to help Melo that season was Timmy, who was a rookie at the time.

Following that season the Knicks got worse. Phil tore them apart but never built them back up again and father time started to take its effect on Melo but the Knicks with Melo were really built to compete in that 2012-2015 range, by 2013 it seemed we finally had the pieces around Melo for the first time since we acquired him to compete, but the team wasn't built to last and collapsed around him in 2014. That was the key year when the Knicks should have built on a super promising season and earlier than hoped playoff exit, and used that to fuel an even better season with prime Melo in 2014, but instead it all fell apart.

Lol! Trey & Frank******
That backcourt is how I’d imagine it to be with Trae Young except more spacing and playmaking but he’d have to actually come in and develop. If we’re looking to build with what we have I’d say Mikal. Oh yeah...SGA over Sexton all day too
IMO the Knicks need to hope Kanter opts out (look to move him if he doesn't), trade Courtney Lee, keep Trey, Beasley, and KOQ, cut ties with Mudiay and move forward from there.

Have Frank, Timmy, and KP plugged in as the starters moving forward. Burke/Beasley to get buckets off the bench along with a great backup center in KOQ (who can help KP in the frontcourt as well when he is outmatched vs bigger lineups without the need to keep someone like Kanter around to start at the 5 with KP at the 4), Lance is still under contract as well - and that is a solid bench rotation already set in place. No need for any major additions for the bench if you resign Beasley and KOQ, plus we would still have young players we should definitely keep around to see if they can develop into rotation players like Dotson and Kornet (not to mention we also have 2 2nd round picks in this draft, one of them being from the Bulls).

From there all we need to find is an attacking guard to pair with Frank in the backcourt and a forward to play with KP in the frontcourt. Draft one of the spots. Luckily for us our best bet in ourr draft spot will be to draft another guard (Sexton, Trae, Lonnie Walker) or a forward (Mikal, Miles) anyway. Use whatever cap space we might have or trade assets to find the other position we don't draft.

You do all that and not only do you have a solid young roster in place, but finally a sustainable roster for once, one with young players inked to longer term deals who will be able to develop together for some time. If KP steps up as the star/leader that we need to make the whole thing work and we find a coach who can instill a modern offense and develop the young players, it could work out in the long haul.

As long as we don't draft Knox or Wendell Carter Jr. Not a fan of those guys.
Agreed with that. Don't like either of them for this team whatsoever. I'd take either Bridges over them. Add SGA to that list for me as well. Not because I don't like his game but just because his game is way too similar to Frank's for me to like him for this roster. He just seems like a very poor man's version of Frank to me and thus wouldn't be the compliment to Frank (scorer/attacker) we should be looking for.

Last edited:
Also just realized that the Grizzlies didn't resign Xavier Rathan-Mayes when his contract was up so he's back in Westchester. Knicks should get on that. I'm intrigued by him, thought we lost him because he was playing solid for the Grizz.

Not going to go deep into the Melo stuff here, but just want to say it’s funny you referred to Westbrook, George and Melo as gamers. You could argue those three guys have the most image of gamers but have all shown signs that’s just surface over their careers. It’s interesting...

Just speaking to PG hilariously bad end of game shots record, Westbrook breaking down mentally in the 4th etc.

Also just realized that the Grizzlies didn't resign Xavier Rathan-Mayes when his contract was up so he's back in Westchester. Knicks should get on that. I'm intrigued by him, thought we lost him because he was playing solid for the Grizz.

If he couldn't stick with Memphis.... :lol:

I don’t see Frank starting at PG, I definitely think he is a 2 so the fit of him and Timmy gives me some issues

Wait did Hornacek really just not play Frank the entire 3rd after that first half? The **** is wrong with this guy? :smh:

EDIT: Didn't see that he has 5 fouls, got the game going on mute. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom