Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Same articles every offseason. Lemme know when Pyrie is gonna actually play for the Knicks.

If they have to trade for him, would ya get rid of Frank? :nerd:

If Kyrie was 25 and not injury prone I would. But the whole point is to pair him with someone who actually plays defense. Plus we can have him for free next season, why trade for him?

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/...2018-offseason-guide-to-the-knicks-salary-cap

Cap.PNG

Kristap Porzingis’ Looming Extension & Long-term Salary Concerns
Mudiay technically qualifies as well, but, you know, that’s not happening. I’m, for all intents and purposes, copying from the CBA FAQ with this information that follows. Rookie scale contracts may be extended for up to four seasons beyond the last option season in the contract, bringing the total contract length to five seasons. Teams can also select up to two players (called “Designated Rookies”) who can receive five-year extensions, bringing the total contract length to six seasons.

In general, the salary in the first year of an extension to a rookie scale contract may be any amount up to the player’s maximum. This is usually the 0–6 year maximum, which is 25% of the salary cap. However, a player may receive up to the 7–9 year maximum, which is 30% of the cap, if he meets the “5th Year 30% Max Criteria.” Below is the criteria:

• The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second, or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.
The salary in the first year of an extension to a rookie scale contract for a Designated Player must be the player’s maximum salary. If the player has also met the 5th Year 30% Max Criteria, his salary may be any amount between the 0–6 year maximum and the 7–9 year maximum. Raises are up to 8% year-over-year based on the first year value.

So, regarding Porzingis, the table below details key salary cap and contract figures if Porzingis signs either the 25% max contract or the 30% max contract.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_09_at_10.41.00_PM.png

As you can see, the Knicks do not have much cap space in 2019 if Porzingis signs an extension this summer based on the current salaries on the books. Moving Courtney Lee this summer without taking on salary would be helpful, but still does not free up a max contract — well, it technically does… kind of. If Porzingis ends up receiving the 25% max contract and Lee is traded without taking on additional salary, New York can have $27,907,945 in space, which is right now enough for another 25% max contract.

Keep in mind that the space does assume that the varying Bird Rights of Ron Baker, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter, Emmanuel Mudiay, and Troy Williams are renounced, Kanter and O’Quinn are not on contracts passed 2019, and that Lance Thomas is released. There simply isn’t as much flexibility in 2019 as there will be in 2020 once Noah is officially off the books. New York better hope that Tim Hardaway Jr begins producing above the value of his contract because it certainly does not help the salary cap.

I don’t even know if trading up for Luka would be good but it would be exciting as hell

Would y'all part with the 9th pick to get rid of Lee and Thomas to have a chance at signing LeBron ? Obviously this is contingent on Kanter opting out

Would y'all part with the 9th pick to get rid of Lee and Thomas to have a chance at signing LeBron ? Obviously this is contingent on Kanter opting out
Unless I’m getting minimum 5 more years of PEAK Lebron no way

Dude gotta cool down sooner or later

Yeah I guess objectively you have to take that deal. I don’t think lebron would ever come here anyways.

Back
Top Bottom