**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
brilliant

Duke's Zion Williamson has $8M insurance policy against pre-NBA injuries: Report

Nike ‘working to identify issue’ after Duke star Zion Williamson sprains knee when shoe bursts open
Nike is 'working to identify the issue' after Duke freshman Zion Williamson had his shoe burst apart mid-game against rival North Carolina.

Duke basketball phenom Zion Williamson Opens a New Window. has taken out insurance to protect his future earning potential Opens a New Window. against the exact type of injury scare he experienced when his Nike sneaker exploded during Wednesday night’s game against the North Carolina Tar Heels, according to a report.

Williamson, a 6-foot-7, 285-pound freshman known for his freakish athleticism, has an $8 million policy with International Specialty Insurance (ISI) that kicks in if he falls outside the top-16 picks in the 2019 NBA Draft due to injury, The Action Network’s Darren Rovell reported. The 18-year-old forward is widely expected to be the first overall selection in this year’s draft.

ISI representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the report.

Williamson’s first-ever appearance against the rival Tar Heels ended less than a minute into the game when his Nike sneaker popped as he attempted to make a cut. The freshman fell to the floor while holding his right knee and was later diagnosed with a mild sprain.

Duke covered the cost of the insurance policy, which likely cost around $50,000, Rovell reported, citing sources familiar with the matter. The NCAA includes a fact-sheet for loss-of-value insurance on its website.

The policy “protects a student-athlete’s future contract value from decreasing below a predetermined amount due to a significant injury or illness suffered during the policy’s designated coverage period. It is typically purchased for the year leading up to the athlete’s draft eligibility. It requires medical underwriting, and may include exclusions for specific pre-existing injuries or illnesses,” according to the NCAA.

The NBA’s so-called “one-and-done” rule prevents players from making the jump directly from high school to the pros. The rule, which has existed since 2006, requires players to be at least 19 years old before they can enter the NBA Draft.

The “one-and-done” policy has drawn widespread criticism due to the artificial limit it imposes on a player’s earning potential – especially given ongoing questions about the NCAA’s amateurism model. Collegiate sports’ governing body has faced repeated legal challenges aimed at forcing the NCAA to share revenue with its players.

After Williamson’s injury, several current and former NBA players renewed their criticism of the NCAA’s policies, with some urging the Duke star to sit out the remainder of the season rather than risk further injury.

“Again let’s remember all the money that went into this game…and these players get none of it….and now Zion gets hurt….something has to change @NCAA,” Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchel wrote on Twitter.

"Obviously, we would have loved to have success when I was out, but we didn't, so this is where we [are] right now," said James, who missed 18 games after suffering a groin injury on Dec. 25. "I'm going to be a little bit different a little bit earlier than I would like to be in previous years."

MOOOD
so god mode starts 2/21/2019?

he probs should've kept these thoughts to himself until he actually produced. If he comes out washed while trying to force **** its gonna be an embarrassment.

I’ve always maintained the whole “fat girls give the best head” is just a way for dudes to excuse themselves for messing with fat girls

I used to think like this until I took that plunge into the ocean of big women. Big girls got the best p hands down and it's not even close. Don't cheat yourself

tristan always been sus to me tbh. even with the stories of all these women and orgies.

:smh:still sus.

he probs should've kept these thoughts to himself until he actually produced. If he comes out washed while trying to force **** its gonna be an embarrassment.
Man I am so torn kind of excited because I want to see how the team responds tonight. On the other hand I am like SHIIIIDD they just going to do what they been doing all season. Decent lead, then fumble on themselves in the fourth quarter. Get you excited on what could be then sike.

Honestly now that Tristian is no longer Bron's teammate I could care less. Hate that whole toxic family anyways, I wish Klay or Durant would date one.

tristan always been sus to me tbh. even with the stories of all these women and orgies.

:smh:still sus.

He got them long *** blinks.

And Bron really having AD on The Shop? He really must not want to play with him.

I got that Bron quote pinned for when they lose to New Orleans and he gets torched on D.

Can’t wait for the next excuse.

Sit, don't give Coach K a chance to ruin your game any further, take care of your body through the facilities, still work toward getting that piece of paper for free. Do not be a poster boy for the NCAA tourney. This brother has so much excitement surrounding him, he needs to know his value, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom