Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Well, Cubs have added another reliever for now, 33 year old righty Brad Brach. Another guy that "can" close while Morrow rehabs, along with Strop, Ciscek, Edwards etc. Not anything elite, but another decent option in the pen at least.

Biggest thing so far is if Yu can stay healthy, and Hamels upgrades over Chatwood, the starters should be more solid, keeping the pen better rested than last year.

Surprising move, Happ will start the year in Triple A.
Sounds like they just want to get him a steady stream of at bats rather than platoon in the majors. He needs to cut down on his K's, same as Javy has.

He'll be back soon.

Well, Cubs have added another reliever for now, 33 year old righty Brad Brach. Another guy that "can" close while Morrow rehabs, along with Strop, Ciscek, Edwards etc. Not anything elite, but another decent option in the pen at least.
Jersey boy. My old co-worker knows his fam from Freehold. He was a solid arm in the 'pen for the Os.

C.J. finna make the closer role his own with Morrow out at least a month due to the bone bruise in his throwing arm. Love Edwards's stuff.

CJ got great stuff but he needs to be more focused mentally on the mound and be less rattled

Last edited:
Surprising move, Happ will start the year in Triple A.
Sounds like they just want to get him a steady stream of at bats rather than platoon in the majors. He needs to cut down on his K's, same as Javy has.

He'll be back soon.

He needed to be sent down man. His strikeout rate was too high. it worked for Scwarber

Jersey boy. My old co-worker knows his fam from Freehold. He was a solid arm in the 'pen for the Os.

C.J. finna make the closer role his own with Morrow out at least a month due to the bone bruise in his throwing arm. Love Edwards's stuff.

Morrow had a bullpen session few a days ago. He threw 20 pitches. he making progress.

Kyle Hendricks signs a 4 year extension with an option for year 5. (4 years 55+ mil)

upload_2019-3-26_11-58-11.png

:pimp:

Let’s Go! :smokin

I love it when Theo said he wants this team to be in first 30 games in.

Also earned not given. Happ in minors and Schwarber not in the lineup today

Opening Day Lineup

Almora CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Contreras C
Bote 2B
Zobrist DH
Heyward RF
Zagunis LF

I know there's a lefty on the mound but Schwarber should be in the lineup.

Cubs had 28 runs in 27 innings and lost twice. :lol:

Blew a 3-0 and 6-3 lead Saturday
Blew a 4-0 and 8-5 lead Sunday

Bull. Pen. :smh:

Loving the offense early, but the pitching has to be better, even tho I know it's early and that park is a joke. Delino Deshields kid hitting Grandslams is all you need to know.

Still, pitching could be an issue all year if we don't get Morrow back soon and the pen doesn't throw strikes. The starters will start to find their grooves as the innings grow, that'll come.

Too damn early to be worried about the pen again. Just don’t want to go through this again, at least it’s still early and gives the FO plenty of time to address it.

I honestly think Jed and Theo are gonna flip some of these guys this year.

Yeah, yet another blown lead. This time 4-2 in the 8th. :smh:

On the bright side, IF we can patch up the pen, we've had the lead in 4 of the 5 games so far. Lock that up, we could have been 4-1 instead of 1-4.

David Bote signed a team friendly extension which I guess is ok.

Here’s his breakdown (via Mark Gonzales):

Signing Bonus: $50K

2020: $950K
2021: $1M
2022: $2.5M
2023:$4.0M
2024: $5.5
2025: Club option of $7M ($1M buyout)
2026: Club option of $7.6M ($500K buyout)

Too early to panic but when does Kimbrel become a viable option? Cubs can't protect a lead to save their lives RN. Wonder if Theo is willing to give Kimbrel a one-year, eight-figure deal before the Nats do.

Too early to panic but when does Kimbrel become a viable option? Cubs can't protect a lead to save their lives RN. Wonder if Theo is willing to give Kimbrel a one-year, eight-figure deal before the Nats do.

Cubs have been crying broke all winter long. Doubt they suddenly have money now, or they'd have questions to answer. (They already do)

Back
Top Bottom