Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Gore swinging at ball 4 in the 13th inning is symbolic.

He has ONE hit his entire career. Take the pitch, he can steal 2nd, 3rd, put all pressure on Colorado.

So disappointed. Limped in the playoffs and one and done. Theo isn’t happy and joe better not be.

Highest scoring O in the NL for 5 months.

0 days off in September killed us.
Bryant's shoulder killed us.
Addison killed us.
Darvish/Morrow killed us.
Chili Davis killed us.

Get rid of Chili, sign Bryce, get Bryant healthy, and let Darvish and Morrow come back fully rested.

Good *** game & a damn good season.

Feels like we were hurt from the start.
Too drunk to type much right now, would need a day or two to process.

The "good" news.

Done on Oct 2nd. Meaning we get a full offseason for first time since 2014.

Look how our roster wore down this last month.

Now add Bryce, probably cut Addison ( :frown: ) and potentially trade Almora + Montgomery for a solid pen arm. Also, keep Hamels.

Lester
Darvish
Hamels
Hendricks
Quintana

My friend said something that I wanted to share

Maddon got the TB with young players to the WS, after that they were average. Maybe history is repeating itself

:lol:

Check the twitter feed the frustration on Maddon is growing whether you want to understand it or not. It’s there.

I wonder what your view on Maddon would be if we didn’t win the World Series? If it’s different then you are using the 2016 gets a pass card.

Or if it’s any other situation other than a ending a 108 year drought.

Terry Francona won for the Red Sox in 04 and 07 and Boston ran him out of town in 2011.

Point is no manager is immune to what they accomplished in the past. Ozzie Guillen said it best managers are hired to get fired. Sad but true.

Not saying to agree and the fire Maddon talk is still extreme, but take some of the points into consideration. Of course if or when theo gives him an extension then we know where theo stands with him. That is until he gets one and next year is his last year contractually

After a 3 hour sleep, although I still say fire Davis, and I would have loved to see a brewers cubs nlds, sadly we weren’t good enough. 95 wins yes but wasn’t good enough considering how many times the brewers won at the final week of the season and game 163. They wanted it more. I didn’t think the cubs did or else we wouldn’t be eliminated.

This must be fixed or this stench of how 2018 ended won’t be forgotten.

The Brewers "wanted it more" or they had multiple days off down the stretch while we were forced to play 44 games in 45 days?

Please stop with the emotional posting.

Or maybe we should blame Maddon for weawher too. :lol:

7882E2FA-8E4E-46A4-971A-E6FBD1DA27DE.png

Cubs Left To Take Inventory After Sudden End
"I love what we have," manager Joe Maddon says.
entercom_backgrounds-6.jpg

CHRIS EMMA

CHICAGO (670 The Score) -- Change in some form seems inevitable for these Cubs, whose season ended with a 2-1 loss to the Rockies in the National League wild-card round Tuesday night, far short of where they had hoped.

"It is disappointing because our anticipation or expectation is to play the last game of the year and win it," manager Joe Maddon said in the early hours of Wednesday after a 4-hour, 55-minute game that was the longest playoff game in Wrigley Field history. "It's just that this year we had a lot of things go awry."

Addressing the Cubs' shortcomings is the task of Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein, whose team won 95 games but lost the NL Central with a loss to the Brewers in Game 163 on Monday. It forced the Cubs into the wild-card game, which featured another disappointing offensive showing that led to their elimination.

One question that's been speculated is will Maddon take the fall with the 2018 Cubs? He's set to enter the final season of a five-year contract without an extension in place yet, which begs the question of whether he would want to see through 2019 without long-term security. Epstein will be left to first assess Maddon's place in the Cubs' downfall.

Maddon was left to work with what he had, which was a short stack given the Cubs' injuries and inconsistencies. Signed to a six-year, $126-million deal in February, right-hander Yu Darvish pitched in only eight games. The other free-agent rotation addition, Tyler Chatwood, was 4-6 with a 5.30 ERA and didn't make the playoff roster.

Closer Brandon Morrow last pitched on July 15 before being shut down for the season. His replacement in the closing role, Pedro Strop, missed the final two-plus weeks of September as the Cubs struggled to fill his void and close out games. Star third baseman Kris Bryant landed on the disabled list twice and wasn't himself upon returning.

Veteran left-hander Jon Lester, who arrived with Maddon in 2015, is among those in the Cubs' clubhouse strongly in favor of continuity.

"I don't think anything Joe could've done any differently this year," Lester said. "I don't think there's anything our front office could've done differently. We added (Daniel Murphy), we added a few other guys to our roster. We still had injuries. We had three major guys go down and we still won 95 games without Darvish. We lost Stropy for the last, what, three weeks? He was our closer.

"We lost two closers, Morrow, two closers, and Darvish, one of our five (starters) for an extended period of time, and we still won 95 games. That's not Joe's, that's not Theo's, that's not (Jed Hoyer's), that's not nobody's fault. We put ourselves in the best position possible. We had 95 wins. You know what? The Brewers played better than us. They had 96. It is what it is."

The Cubs made changes to their coaching staff last October after falling to the Dodgers in five games in the NL Championship Series, replacing their hitting and pitching coaches. The place of Chili Davis as hitting coach could come under scrutiny after the Cubs managed just two runs and nine hits over 22 innings of baseball Monday and Tuesday, continuing a second-half trend that saw their offense disappointing in a season in which their power was markedly down.

As for Maddon? It remains to be seen what happens. He expressed confidence in the current roster makeup.

"I honestly don't anticipate a lot," Maddon said of how much change could be coming. "Again, that's not my purview. My purview is to manage not to worry about that stuff.

"I trust in Theo and Jed and the boys up top and they will make the necessary adjustments but again, that's not within my purview. My purview is to work with what we have, and I love what we have."

Theo just said in his press conference that he doesn’t expect any changes to the managing staff. Looking like Davis job is safe

I’m as critical on Joe as everyone but I don’t want or see the need to let him go. There’s no one out there who we can currently get that is better. He runs a tight ship and keeps the team loose. While I do think he outsmarts himself plenty with some questionable moves.....we’ve made the playoffs 4 straight years and got WS win with him so he has built some equity with us, let’s not run him out of town.

Still reeling after yesterday’s loss.

Fire Chili and bring in Sosa as the hitting coach :lol::nthat:

Although I can’t front....Chili had a positive impact on JHey and Javy

Back
Top Bottom