Official 2018 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread : Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fanatics has 60% off jerseys. I want to grab a Mookie but don’t want to buy his jersey if the season gets cancelled and he signs elsewhere next season. Decisions decisions.

Some things are 60% off...not all. Ran to the site when I saw the post. The authentic jerseys are about 30% off.

Now that I'm older and I understand the business side of things, how in the hell did McBroke get approval to buy the Dodgers?? Dude's assets were a few parking lots in Boston and he had to take out massive loans to make the purchase. Was he Selig's BFF or what?

As someone who is also older who understands the business side of things, I still will NEVER understand why owners have a limit on certain players they really want. Makes no sense to me. Lets say a team wanted to sign Betts after this season, but they feel like 5/$150M is as much as they would go. I never understood why they would create a hard line at __ number. Lets say Betts wants a 5/$165M instead. If a front office/owner is willing to pay a star $30M a season, why wouldnt they go to $33M if they really wanted the player? Is that $3M a season really going to prevent you from anything? Will it make you go broke? How can you be good at $30M but not for a few mil more?

When dealing with as much money as they are, I will never understand why a team would be willing to go to a ridiculously high number, yet b***h out when they would only have to go a little bit higher. Happened with the Giants and Bryce Harper a few seasons ago. (not to say I was wholeheartedly in favor of signing him). But we reached a number they werent willing to go over. Yet, what he actually signed for was peanuts more than our max.

Just dont understand that, regardless of how old I get hahaha.

As someone who is also older who understands the business side of things, I still will NEVER understand why owners have a limit on certain players they really want. Makes no sense to me. Lets say a team wanted to sign Betts after this season, but they feel like 5/$150M is as much as they would go. I never understood why they would create a hard line at __ number. Lets say Betts wants a 5/$165M instead. If a front office/owner is willing to pay a star $30M a season, why wouldnt they go to $33M if they really wanted the player? Is that $3M a season really going to prevent you from anything? Will it make you go broke? How can you be good at $30M but not for a few mil more?

When dealing with as much money as they are, I will never understand why a team would be willing to go to a ridiculously high number, yet b***h out when they would only have to go a little bit higher. Happened with the Giants and Bryce Harper a few seasons ago. (not to say I was wholeheartedly in favor of signing him). But we reached a number they werent willing to go over. Yet, what he actually signed for was peanuts more than our max.

Just dont understand that, regardless of how old I get hahaha.

Lol I think that teams not wanting to go over their imaginary hard cap in terms of signing free agents, maybe it sets a bad precedent/slippery slope for them that they can be bullied into larger contracts by the agents.

At the same time like you said if the difference is a few mil/relative pennies to the owners, and the player/agent says "give me X and I'll sign right now", hell why not? Isn't that part of negotiations? Especially if it's a piece that puts you over the top, easily worth it and you can brag that you "won out" on that contract.

dland24 dland24
Have you ever said I’ll pay $40, not $1 more. Sometimes there’s a number that you have and you say, that’s it, I’m not paying a penny more.

At the end of the day, it’s negotiations. If they just gave players the (minimal) extra 15-20 mil, that could drive the payroll significantly up.

One player alone isn’t a guarantee you’re going to win a championship. If it was a guarantee signing _____ player would get you a ring, you would be willing to pay whatever player _____ is commanding.

But since there isn’t any guarantees, you consider the risk/$$$ and determine if you’re going to give the player the money he wants or not

dland24 dland24
Have you ever said I’ll pay $40, not $1 more. Sometimes there’s a number that you have and you say, that’s it, I’m not paying a penny more.

At the end of the day, it’s negotiations. If they just gave players the (minimal) extra 15-20 mil, that could drive the payroll significantly up.

One player alone isn’t a guarantee you’re going to win a championship. If it was a guarantee signing _____ player would get you a ring, you would be willing to pay whatever player _____ is commanding.

But since there isn’t any guarantees, you consider the risk/$$$ and determine if you’re going to give the player the money he wants or not

Yeah I have said that I wont pay a dollar more for something. But that was either for something I didnt really really want, or something I ended up caving on and paying more. And I totally understand that this is millions an millons of dollars we are talking about. I just think (using my example), if you are willing to risk $150M for Betts, you should be willing to risk $165M for him. Whats really the difference at that point? To a billionaire owner, thats nothing! The risk isnt mitigated by not spending an extra $3M a season for the duration of the contract.

And I know one player doesnt guarantee a championship. I get that. But if a team sees the superstar player as a potential Championship piece and really wants the player, a couple/few million dollars should never be the difference in signing or losing said player. Just my 2 cents.

Price and Betts haven't played a single regular season inning for the Dodgers, but I'm glad they're part of the organization, especially during a time like this. Price stepping to do what billionaire owners refuse to, including Guggenheim, is huge and says a lot. Betts is so well-spoken and his voice during a lot of the race-related injustice is much-needed.

I don’t see how Dodger ownership would allow that **** to happen to all minor league players in the dodgers organization . With all the ****en money they have and all this positive crapmagic spews, to have one of your players do more than the whole organization

With the money situation it also comes down to power. Remember these are billionaire owners who rarely ever get told no and athletes who know what they’re worth and have agents that want to stretch every dollar they can out of these athletes. It’s more of just a power struggle and the owners will be seen as week if they give into that 3 million more a year.

Rich people coupon as a hobby, while the middle class does it as a means to stay afloat. Despite there being no games right now, the argument to not play minor leaguers right now is terrible because it’s not like they can easily grab part-time work at a time like this.

Should I cop?

As long as the last game of the year is a Dodger win I can care less about asterisks. Everybody is playing this season with the same conditions.

New hats for the season.

20200624_131314.jpg
20200624_131321.jpg
20200624_131330.jpg
20200624_131336.jpg

Update on Andrew Toles. I hope he gets the help he needs :frown:

A 28-year-old Major League baseball player was jailed this week after police said they found him sleeping behind the Key West airport.

Andrew Alvin Toles was arrested June 22 on a misdemeanor charge of trespassing after he refused to leave the area, according to the arrest report from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.
Police listed his address as the “streets of Key West.” Toles was sleeping behind the Federal Express building, located at Key West International Airport, 3491 S. Roosevelt Blvd. All he had with him was a black book bag, deputies said.

Police said they gave Toles several chances to leave the area without being arrested but he wouldn’t walk away, wrote Deputy Tomas Venegas. On Friday, Toles remained at the Stock Island Detention Center on a $500 bond. He has a court date set for July 2 before County Judge Peary Fowler.

An outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Toles spent last year on the restricted list, after leaving the Dodgers’ spring training facility in late May due to a personal matter, according to reports by MLB.com. Because of the pandemic, baseball play is currently suspended until July 1, when teams can report to their spirng training sites for practice.

In the 2016 playoffs, Toles hit .364 and scored six runs for the Dodgers. But he missed most of 2017 due to a torn ACL, CBS Sports reported.

That's sad as hell, dude can ball too. Hopefully they help him out, way too young and mental health disorders are rough.

more insight into Toles' situation. Dude has basically been on the run the last two years, in and out of control of his mind. He gets lucid enough to check out of hospitals, and has the money to fly off to anywhere. Crazy/sad story. I really hope he becomes well enough one day to figure it out and allow his fam to take over his care :frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom