OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have any of you guys watch the new season of QB1 on Netflix? Spencer Rattler comes across as kind of a d***, almost bordering on Tate Martell level arrogance. He's constantly downing his backup quarterback and blaming his receivers. Then towards the end he mysteriously has a code of conduct violation that causes him to miss the the last few games of the season.

I realize that this is just a TV show, and they can edit the tape however they want and that he's also a young guy who still learning but he didn't come across very well on the show. He's a super talented kid that just needs a little bit of humbling at the college level. Hopefully Jalen Hurts can mentor him.
Are high school pre season games a regular thing? I was upset when I saw the Florida team was playing one and then sure enough the DE gets injured

I know their boosters and stupid alums and San Diegoans aren't and will never let them do it, but SDSU needs to change that dumb mascot. It's 2019.

The actual mascot that runs up and down the field, or the whole team name itself?

Whole team and school name. There’ve been movements to change it and they keep getting voted down. The admins are afraid

As someone who is Mexican it really doesn't bother me, and the civilization they are referring to was never even really the "Aztecs" to begin with.

It's really not that different than MSU with the Spartan moniker or SC with the Trojans, and while sure there are Nahuatl speaking groups left in Mexico, I can almost guarantee you they don't care. And to let you in on a little secret, a lot of Mexico wouldn't consider the few Nahuatl speakers (or descendants) up here that do care as being "Indian", meaning they really shouldn't have any more authority on the subject than Mestizos either. For all intensive purposes they are Mestizos as well.

We didn't have a one drop rule, indigenous identity is very much associated with class. It's why Eric Morales being a poor Tijuano got so mad at MAB (middle class from MX City) for calling him an "indio" during a pickup soccer game, which led to the heated rivalry.

This isn't anything close and a lot more complex than UND with the "Fighting Sioux" or even FSU.

Last edited:
As someone who is Mexican it really doesn't bother me, and the civilization they are referring to was never even really the "Aztecs" to begin with.

It's really not that different than MSU with the Spartan moniker or SC with the Trojans, and while sure there are Nahuatl speaking groups left in Mexico, I can almost guarantee you they don't care. And to let you in on a little secret, a lot of Mexico wouldn't consider the few Nahuatl speakers (or descendants) up here that do care as being "Indian", meaning they really shouldn't have any more authority on the subject than Mestizos either. For all intensive purposes they are Mestizos as well.

We didn't have a one drop rule, indigenous identity is very much associated with class. It's why Eric Morales being a poor Tijuano got so mad at MAB (middle class from MX City) for calling him an "indio" during a pickup soccer game, which led to the heated rivalry.

This isn't anything close and a lot more complex than UND with the "Fighting Sioux" or even FSU.

I feel you. From what I remember a lot of the issue stems from the idea of using brown people and cultures as “fierce” and “savage “ mascots.

I get what you’re saying about the people in question not being the ones actually raising offense but I know the NCAA noting that it’s not an issue because they couldn’t find any large organized Aztec groups is tough for people to accept as reasoning for it changing the name, because white Spaniards basically wiped them out.

Also this is just uncouth:
aztec.jpg

I feel you. From what I remember a lot of the issue stems from the idea of using brown people and cultures as “fierce” and “savage “ mascots.

I get what you’re saying about the people in question not being the ones actually raising offense but I know the NCAA noting that it’s not an issue because they couldn’t find any large organized Aztec groups is tough for people to accept as reasoning for it changing the name, because white Spaniards basically wiped them out.

Also this is just uncouth:
aztec.jpg

I guess they are taking steps to make the actual live mascot more culturally appropriate https://www.kpbs.org/news/2018/may/17/sdsu-will-keep-aztec-name-change-mascot/

I'm not going to lie tho, the fact SDSU uses a mestizo most of the time makes it a lot less problematic than FSU.

A significant part of the students, alumni, faculty, and probably even admin is Mexican. If they decide they want to keep the mascot and moniker they should have that right.

This isn't like UND, FSU, CMU, Illinois etc., which are schools fighting for the names of cultures that have almost no actual presence at their universities.

For those who know how the title IX process works, would him getting expelled from UW for a title IX violation have an effect on whether he can transfer to another school or not? If it doesn't, shouldn't he just transfer to another school? Im sure he would have a case for immediate eligibility if he doesn't have it already.

I understand wanting to clear your name, but you only have a finite time to play this game and get the most that you can out of it.

I guess they are taking steps to make the actual live mascot more culturally appropriate https://www.kpbs.org/news/2018/may/17/sdsu-will-keep-aztec-name-change-mascot/

I'm not going to lie tho, the fact SDSU uses a mestizo most of the time makes it a lot less problematic than FSU.

A significant part of the students, alumni, faculty, and probably even admin is Mexican. If they decide they want to keep the mascot and moniker they should have that right.

This isn't like UND, FSU, CMU, Illinois etc., which are schools fighting for the names of cultures that have almost no actual presence at their universities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html?noredirect=on

The Seminole Tribe is fine with FSU being called Seminoles. The university consults the tribe from time-to-time and one of the Seminole Tribe jets picked Bowden and Bill Durham for the National Championship game at the Rose Bowl. They even had a Seminole Indian playing on the team. I believe he was walk-on. Saw him in a game briefly a season or two ago and I think he may have scored a TD in Doak, but my memory of the details are kinda sketchy.

Not too sure what the dynamic between the Seminoles in Oklahoma think though.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html?noredirect=on

The Seminole Tribe is fine with FSU being called Seminoles. The university consults the tribe from time-to-time and one of the Seminole Tribe jets picked Bowden and Bill Durham for the National Championship game at the Rose Bowl. They even had a Seminole playing on the team. I believe he was walk-on.

Correct, but the Seminole Tribe of OK is not fine with FSU being called the Seminoles which is the problem.

Foremost, it is important to rebuke the argument that “FSU has the Seminole Tribe’s blessing.” The reality is that the people who gave that so-called blessing represent a miniscule fraction of the voices of the Seminole Nation.

The Seminole Tribe is made up of two divisions: The Seminole Tribe of Florida and the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma. The individuals who have consented to FSU’s continued use of the Seminoles as the school’s symbol are members of the Council of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, which has roughly 2,000 registered members.

However, this agreement is in stark contrast to the opinion of Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma, which has nearly 17,000 registered members. This more populous tribe has continuously voiced its opposition to FSU’s representation and use of the tribe’s heritage, stating in October 2013 that it “condemns the use of all American Indian sports-team mascots in the public school system, by [the] college and university level, and by professional sports teams.”

While we are the the ‘Florida State Seminoles’ and not the ‘Oklahoma Seminoles’, the name belongs to both parties. By population numbers, we only have permission from roughly 10.5 percent of the individuals who go by the name Seminole, and that is going off of the absurd assumption that each and every member of the Seminole Tribe of Florida is on board with their Tribal Council’s decision.

There are some traditionalist bands as well IIRC in FL and the Miccosukee and the Mascogos in MX are closely related, but nonetheless the tribe in Oklahoma is much bigger and gets none of the benefits that the tribe in FL gets despite FSU using the name.

I'm not going to lie and tell you there is an easy solution to this controversy, but it's not as clear cut as some FSU fans make it. They are the Florida State Seminoles not the Florida State Seminole Tribe of Florida Seminoles.

IIRC this was similar problem with UND, in which some Sioux tribes were fine with the name and logo, and some were not.

Last edited:
Came here to ***** about Barton Simmons evaluations and walked into why Incans are being treated unfairly

Have any of you guys watch the new season of QB1 on Netflix? Spencer Rattler comes across as kind of a d***, almost bordering on Tate Martell level arrogance. He's constantly downing his backup quarterback and blaming his receivers. Then towards the end he mysteriously has a code of conduct violation that causes him to miss the the last few games of the season.

I realize that this is just a TV show, and they can edit the tape however they want and that he's also a young guy who still learning but he didn't come across very well on the show. He's a super talented kid that just needs a little bit of humbling at the college level. Hopefully Jalen Hurts can mentor him.

I couldn't stand the UK kid either. His dad was annoying af too.

Also, I'm impressed by how under wraps they (Spencer, his parents, and the school) were able to keep whatever he did last year.

It was prob an internet rumor or maybe I’m mixing him up with someone else like NKosi perry but did Rattler videotape it and that was a big part of the issue? Or was he just caught in the school.

Last edited:
I couldn't stand the UK kid either. His dad was annoying af too.

Also, I'm impressed by how under wraps they (Spencer, his parents, and the school) were able to keep whatever he did last year.

Nik seems like a good kid off the field. I like that he was smart enoughs understand the forty year plan and not the 4-year. On the field though, he came across as an entitled whiner. I almost lost it when he pretty much told the head coach that he's going to call his own plays and not listen to him. the crazy part about it is that the head coach didn't even do anything afterwards, he was just took it.

My old coach would have benched anyone who said something like that; he wouldn't care if you where the son of one of the coaches and breaking state records, you still have to listen to your coaches.

Out of all the kids I like Lance the most. He seems like the most even keel, he put a big emphasis on taking care of his family and he understood how big of an opportunity it was to get out of New Orleans. I'm glad that he ended up going to school farther away, it would have been a really bad look if his mom would have moved to his school. I cringed when she said she was going to get an apartment off campus and cook for him.

I felt really bad for the Warren Easton kids. Their backup literally took two snaps, fumbled both times and cost them the state championship.

Everything y'all saying about Barton I feel like it should be applied to Chip Patterson insread, also the audible pod has become droning.

Are high school pre season games a regular thing? I was upset when I saw the Florida team was playing one and then sure enough the DE gets injured

I'm not sure if that was genuine preseason game or just an organized scrimmage between two schools. Regardless, that's only something that rich schools get to do. The kid who got hurt was Khris Bogle, top 100 recruit, and definitely the best player

Barton is 100% a grade-A moron. :lol:

The 247 model of ranking kids based on NFL projection is so stupid to begin with.

100% this. The rationale is so ridiculous because what it takes to dominate professional football in college football a completely different. I heard an interview with Barton and he said something to the effect of "the NFL likes tall quarterbacks so this shorter quarterback isn't ranked as high because he's not that good of an NFL prospect." So regardless of whether or not he can dominate at the college level, they won't rank this kid as highly as they would otherwise? So their rankings change as the NFL changes?

Not to mention that to 247 puts a lot of emphasis on camp performances so guys who just focus on playing high School football and don't do the camp circuit get drop in rankings a lot. also, as I said before some of the drills they put these kids through (like the cat-and-mouse drill) are just dumb and not real football. I would hate to evaluate a college football prospect based on some of the dumb stuff to have these kids doing a camps.

Theyre infamous for the "Bama bump" also. The moment a kid gets an offer from an elite school, that kid inexplicably starts shooting up the rankings regardless of where they had them ranked before the offer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom