OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

not firing Helton this off season set USC back 4-5 years.

It is what it is.

The Cali kids in the 2020 class are sexy. To think, with a better coach and more stable program, we could be looking at Elias Ricks and Justin Flowe in next years class, with Bryce Young and Kendall Milton. We might be lucky to just get one at this point.

Helton as HC isn’t the reason the program’s unstable or kids don’t want to come. Helton’s the sole reason some of the kids are looking at SC to begin with despite all the other ****. Dabo Swinney isn’t exactly a brilliant x’s and o’s HC. He just has the full support of his administration and a booster base that was absolutely starving for a title. USC’s trustees and admin view the football team and it’s games as a way to wine and dine international donors and CEOs. It’s why the primary focus of the Coliseum renovation is luxury seats and boxes at the expense of the best alum and fan seating section. They don’t care (or want) a football team that wins 12 games and a HC that has more authority on campus than them.

Helton isn’t the problem, he’s a symptom.

Last edited:
Until He becomes Mark Richt pt. Deux and UGA fans realize it wasn’t the coach.
They're getting the talent though. As much as we clown them, they should be right there with Bama this year too. It might be the coach if they don't get it done in these next few years? The bags are being dropped. Talent everywhere.

Dabo isn't an X&O savant but it's a mistake to assume you could pluck Helton down there and he could replicate the results or even come close. Dabo's done a great job of assembling a staff, and while sure their bag droppers are A1, they do a great job developing the talent they get. He hired Morris after 1 year at Tulsa, and people still forget Venables was ran out of OU.

I think the Harrel hire should work out for them on that side of the ball, but Clancy should have been on his way out this off season too.

Helton as HC isn’t the reason the program’s unstable or kids don’t want to come. Helton’s the sole reason some of the kids are looking at SC to begin with despite all the other ****. Dabo Swinney isn’t exactly a brilliant x’s and o’s HC. He just has the full support of his administration and a booster base that was absolutely starving for a title. USC’s trustees and admin view the football team and it’s games as a way to wine and dine international donors and CEOs. It’s why the primary focus of the Coliseum renovation is luxury seats and boxes at the expense of the best alum and fan seating section. They don’t care (or want) a football team that wins 12 games and a HC that has more authority on campus than them.

Helton isn’t the problem, he’s a symptom.
I will just have to disagree. He was a **** hire years ago and they compounded things by keeping him around. And yes, administration is as much to blame. The whole program is incompetent but they could have tried to get out of this hole. Instead, they dug a deeper one.

And mentioning Dabo when talking about Helton is just so disrespectful. Dabo knows how to surround himself with coaches and they develop their players. They haven’t always been getting 4 and 5 stars. They do damn well with the 3 star kids.

I still don’t know what Helton does well except be a good man with integrity.

I will just have to disagree. He was a **** hire years ago and they compounded things by keeping him around. And yes, administration is as much to blame. The whole program is incompetent but they could have tried to get out of this hole. Instead, they dug a deeper one.

He's a **** hire, and never should have gotten the job but as you saw, with Darnold and capable assistants the team can and should win NY6 bowls and championships. USC can and should win despite Helton if everyone at the top is doing what they should be doing. ****, they win despite him with the athletic department running at 50%. If you hire a bad coach and then absolutely refuse to support him, and even when he succeeds (despite all reason) with a freshman QB and mediocre staff, you cut even more costs and hamstring him even more then of course, eventually, things will go to absolute bloody hell.

A story from Chris Carlisle to illuminate my point:
When Chris Carlisle first got to USC the training facilities were absolute ****ing trash (there's a photo of Reggie Bush bench pressing in what is essentially a janitors closet). He pushed for upgraded facilities and the admin refused because they weren't winning any games. When Pete started to turn things around he asked to upgrade the facilities and they told him, "ok win a conference championship and we'll see about renovating the weight room and Heritage Hall." SC won the conference and Pete pressed again for upgraded facilities and they told him "we've got donors who will commit millions of $ but they want to see SC back on top - win a championship." USC finally won back to back championships and Pete threatened the admins with an ultimatum, upgrade the facilities or we'll walk. The response he got was, "You just won a national championship. What do you need a new weight room for, what you've got works."

Heritage Hall and the weight room didn't get upgraded until 2013.

Tl;Dr for アミーゴ アミーゴ 's ***** ***: Just because Helton was a bad hire doesn't mean things would be fixed if he wasn't here. Even Urban Meyer would lose with no support staff, no recruiting or analyst budget, and facilities that are worse than the top high schools.

Last edited:
And mentioning Dabo when talking about Helton is just so disrespectful. Dabo knows how to surround himself with coaches and they develop their players. They haven’t always been getting 4 and 5 stars. They do damn well with the 3 star kids.

The insinuation that you could replace Dabo with Helton under the same "bag man circumstances" at Clemson and get similar results almost made me cry laugh

What exactly does Dabo do...? What has he ever done? The offensive identity was Chad Morris's baby. The defense was Kevin Steele and now Brent Venables. Dabo has never called plays. Clemson was in the process of upgrading facilities under Bowden, sure maybe Dabo pushed it along and convinced the boosters to quadruple the drop offs to recruits, but what about that team exactly is Dabo's design? Dabo is not special. Dabo was considered an atrocious hire for the first 4-5 years of his tenure there.

You don't think any uninvolved coach with Kingsbury as OC, Pendergast as DC, and Tee Martin free to focus on recruiting his *** off could finish with top 5 recruiting classes and dominate a crappy Pac 12?

You're so focused on hating Clay you don't even see the real problems. Clay Helton is not good. He's a very bad game time coach. But no coach is winning a national championship here as presently constituted. Firing Clay is a temporary salve on a deep wound. I want him gone but I also realize that, that in itself, as you implied will not fix much casper90403 casper90403

And that bit about them not always getting 4 and 5 star players is untrue. Clemson finished with top 10 classes in 6, and top 15 in 9, out of the last 12 years. Clemson has been recruiting great.

Last edited:
What exactly does Dabo do...? What has he ever done? The offensive identity was Chad Morris's baby. The defense was Kevin Steele and now Brent Venables. Dabo has never called plays. Clemson was in the process of upgrading facilities under Bowden, sure maybe Dabo pushed it along and convinced the boosters to quadruple the drop offs to recruits, but what about that team exactly is Dabo's design? Dabo is not special. Dabo was considered an atrocious hire for the first 4-5 years of his tenure there.

You don't think any uninvolved coach with Kingsbury as OC, Pendergast as DC, and Tee Martin free to focus on recruiting his *** off could finish with top 5 recruiting classes and dominate a crappy Pac 12?

You're so focused on hating Clay you don't even see the real problems. Clay Helton is not good. He's a very bad game time coach. But no coach is winning a national championship here as presently constituted. Firing Clay is a temporary salve on a deep wound. I want him gone but I also realize that, that in itself, as you implied will not fix much casper90403 casper90403

Like James Franklin with Moorhead, you should still get credit for hiring the right guys. Both Morris and Venables were considered gambles at the time, let not act like those two hires were the result of Clemson opening up the checkbook and hiring the best coordinators money could buy.

I still have no idea why you cape for Clancy the way you do. He is not good.

Jim needs to have a different hat he wears with his suits.

VRBMHLBUQEI6TA3V4POPNNUFLA.jpg

I doubt there is even going to be enough possessions in that game for Michigan to even score 28 points.

OU -12 is easy money.

Back
Top Bottom