OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Cal’s DB coach going at Juju and saying stats don’t prove he can be a #1 :lol:

Please tell me this will negatively affect recruiting So Cal somehow

Surprised Clayton didn't pan out at UF, I thought he was going to be a stud. Seems like for whatever reason he could never get out of his own way down there

NCAA letting everyone become immediately eligible so why are they trying to nerf grad transferring? Because they don't have to go through the farce of asking for permission and making a compelling argument before they're allowed to attend the school they want to?

Ronnie and Lane are 100% right

Look guys Saban is an NCAA/NFL great, he’s forgotten more about game of Football then these media types would ever know.

I’m glad to see Nicky back to being a smash mouth type of coach, last season Alabama got too Hollywood with ESPN and Kobe Bryant.

Saban looks like he’s refocusing his energy on telling kids what to do in a situation he has never experienced because he’s won a lot Football games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26458754/saban-players-lose-entering-nfl-draft-early

Saban: Players lose by entering NFL draft early

"Now, we have guys that have no draft grades, seventh-round grades, free-agent grades, fifth-round grades that are going out of the draft. And the person that loses in that is the player," Saban said after Alabama's spring game. "If you're a third-round draft pick, and we had one here last year -- I'm not going to say any names -- goes and starts for his team, so he's making third-round money, which is not that great. He'd be the first guy taken at his position this year, probably, and make $15-18 million more.

"So, the agent makes out, the club makes out, and now they've got a guy that's going to play for that kind of money for three more years, all right? And everybody out there's saying, 'Well, get to your next contract.' Well, there's obviously 50 percent of these guys never getting to a next contract. And that doesn't mean all the rest of them got to one, either."

Last year, safety Ronnie Harrison was the only Alabama player selected in the third round. He started eight games for the Jacksonville Jaguars, making 32 tackles with one interception and one sack.

:lol:

It's easy for the guy who makes over $10 million dollars a year to tell a kid to pass up on a life-changing amount of money. At the end of the day, a lot of these kids have different circumstances. Some of them have kids, sick relatives and other people to take care.

Also, staying in school for another year doesn't always raise your draft stock. Staying in school doesn't change your measurables. It doesn't make you any faster, stronger, taller, etc. So this myth that you would go from a fourth-round pick to a first-round pick between your junior and senior seasons is completely false. I can think of very few situations where guys went from fourth or fifth round to first-round picks by staying there senior year.

Yeah, thats 7 on 7. Don't count. His coaches can't be too happy about him being out there playing WR.

Baller. I love everyone that comes out of that program, even though they passed on a chance to play Bosco.

I agree with Saban.

Also in response to those saying “what if he gets hurt?”:

You have to risk your health to make the real $. If you’re scared to get hurt, why you playing football in the first place?

It depends on the situation. Some guys are maxed out from a draft stock perspective by the time they hit their third and fourth years in school, and in some cases like Mack Wilson and Deionte Thompson (both of whom I'm sure Saban wasn't happy about declaring early) the risk isn't worth it. They are both projected top 100 guys whose play tailed off towards the end of the season, there's little reason to come back so scouts can find more reasons why they don't like you.

Again though, the Savion Smiths and Jerod Evans' of the world should probably be going back to school. Practice squad money is peanuts, and even if you're fortunate enough to make the backend of a roster, it's doubtful you are going to see the amount reps you'll need to develop as a player to get that mythical second contract one day.

One of the big problems of this whole debate tho is that there is a segment online that automatically assumes what is worse for the coach/NCAA is what is best for the kid, and a lot of times that isn't true.

Last edited:
A lot of these kids are coming from nothing. Put yourselves in their shoes, you are potentially gonna make millions in a couple months or come back and play another year, possibly get hurt, and end up in a meaningless bowl? Yeah that choice is easy

“I saw a couple spring practices, including today, and I thought I'd share some observations:

There is no QB derby so any talk of this can be dismissed ASAP. Justin Fields is the guy - and he is VERY good. He is MUCH bigger than I anticipated. He has some Patrick Mahomes in his game. He has a smooth, over-the-top delivery but when he's facing pressure (which he faced quite a bit today behind your typical spring ball makeshift OL) he has a wicked side-arm delivery (similar to Mahomes). He will be a LOT of fun to watch. Thank GOD for the favorable NCAA ruling - Baldwin isnt ready yet. Chug looked better today.

NPF looks great. It's a good thing because its hard to say when/if Munford comes back this year. Young beat him badly once, Stud UNLOADED on him and the next series he came back and whipped Young and Cooper on consecutive plays. Josh Myers looks great at C. The incoming kid from Rutgers will definately play guard.

The Garrett Wilson hype is very real. He and Victor were the 2 best WR's on the field today (Hill has been on a pitch count).

Marcus Crowley is going to be a very good RB here. He is splitting reps with Teague, but Crowley has a pretty high ceiling, IMO. He is much bigger and "college ready" than I anticipated.

Walk-on WR Prater can play. Will he? Probably not when the game is on the line, but he is a guy that can earn a 'ship his senior year. He's better than a couple guys on scholarship.

The secondary is clearly better. Banks, Proctor, Johnson and Wade all looked good when I saw them. Okudah didnt get many reps (pitch count) and Fuller/DA were out today (I believe Fuller has been out all spring).

LB is still being sorted out. Harrison is a given, but they're trying to figure out the rest.

The DL is strong, but I think we'll get more out of Zach Harrison this year than I originally thought.

For a very obvious reason, our formations look very similar to what Michigan deployed during the Hoke years. Brendon White and his "new" spot seems to be the engine that makes the defense go.

If I think of anything else, I'll share.”

Is Juju a #1? Hating aside.
He is but obviously this coming season will reveal all without AB drawing double coverage constantly. If JuJu posts 100 grabs for 1,200 yards, does that merit a #1 WR honor? Even Steelers fans probably won't argue that Smith-Schuster is in the upper-echelon at his position. Meaning OBJ, Julio, AB, "Nuk," Michael Thomas and A.J., who is on the lower end of that spectrum. I got JuJu somewhere in the ballpark of Davante, Hilton, Tyreek and Mikey Evans. He's only 22, hopefully we haven't seen his best in Pittsburgh.

What’s funny is Juju would be a better safety than receiver. He just plays WR because he can.

What’s funny is Juju would be a better safety than receiver. He just plays WR because he can.
As the resident USC guy, how high do you think JuJu's ceiling is, can he reach that top-flight OBJ territory? Wonder how much of Smith-Schuster's immense production and success last season you attribute to AB seeing doubles.

He is but obviously this coming season will reveal all without AB drawing double coverage constantly. If JuJu posts 100 grabs for 1,200 yards, does that merit a #1 WR honor? Even Steelers fans probably won't argue that Smith-Schuster is in the upper-echelon at his position. Meaning OBJ, Julio, AB, "Nuk," Michael Thomas and A.J., who is on the lower end of that spectrum. I got JuJu somewhere in the ballpark of Davante, Hilton, Tyreek and Mikey Evans. He's only 22, hopefully we haven't seen his best in Pittsburgh.
Don't agree with him being better than Mike Evans. But having a star #1 ain't even necessary in this era. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of the elite guys when I asked the question. Basically, he's not elite.

Back
Top Bottom