⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 is the year he was robbed. He got it In 2018. Outside of that, no.

The rockets had good coaching and the right pieces around him in his time there. He was great, and they were too. No need to revisit it.
Go straight to Russ’ mvp huh lol
What about curry in 15? Hardens peers voted him mvp. He was better than curry

Go straight to Russ’ mvp huh lol
What about curry in 15? Hardens peers voted him mvp. He was better than curry
Yea that's definitely the one that came to mind when I think of him getting snubbed :lol:, not Brody's.

Had all the players feeling so strongly about it they felt the need to create a new award just to recognize him

Gahdamn the players are on Lloyd Pierce. :lol:

Just some quotes from the article:
But the real headliner event took place when Pierce and Trae Young met privately to discuss their upcoming third year together. At that point, anyone and everyone around the Hawks organization was well aware the relationship between these two key figures was strained.

But in the end — after old tensions between Pierce and Young resurfaced, other players grew frustrated with Pierce’s style and owner Tony Ressler’s desperate desire to make the playoffs added so much pressure to the situation — it was not to be. Those plans Pierce and Young had hatched in Southern California officially fell short Monday when the underperforming Hawks (14-20) announced that Pierce had been relieved of his duties.

As this season progressed, the goodwill that Pierce and Young had re-established would dissipate, and the friction between them would return. It became apparent that Young and Pierce were not going to be a match that was sustainable for long-term success.

But Young was hardly alone here. Sources say player support beyond Young was dwindling at the end, with several sharing their desire for a change with management recently. Still, the difficult dynamic between Young and Pierce was an undeniable factor in Pierce’s downfall and a tone-setter of sorts for the group at large.

Cam Reddish was among those, sources said, who also had an issue with Pierce’s coaching. Sources said Reddish felt like he was being “picked on” behind the scenes when it came to mistakes the second-year player made. There are a few players on the Hawks’ roster who feel like Reddish’s potential is higher than anyone on the roster but that Pierce’s input was stunting his development.

The lack of trust in Pierce, from numerous players, started in his first season. For The Athletic’s anonymous NBA player poll in April 2019, when one Hawks player was asked which coach in the NBA would you not want to play for, he responded with, “Are we allowed to say the one we play for?”

There wasn’t a specific event that led to Pierce losing the locker room but rather a collection of small moments that built up since his first season in Atlanta and finally combusted in the team’s first season with expectations under him.

“There’s no telling when he lost it,” one source close to the team said. “He didn’t have support from many people. It came down to him not being able to manage egos. That’s what did him in, especially these young guys. It’s tough.”

As far as on-court decisions go, players routinely criticized Pierce’s in-game management strategy over the past three seasons. One of the most notable moments of last season came in a December 2019 game in Miami. The Hawks led by six in the final minute when Pierce substituted Young out for DeAndre’ Bembry for defensive purposes. After Miami cut Atlanta’s lead down to three, Pierce failed to call a timeout to reinsert Young on offense. Bembry ended up getting his shot blocked, the Heat tied the game and it eventually went into overtime where the Hawks lost.

Just a few weeks after that Miami game, in Cleveland, Young was frustrated once again with a decision Pierce made in a late-game situation. Pierce had Young inbound the ball with the hope that he’d get it right back to put up a clean shot attempt at the end of the game. Instead, the Cavaliers denied him a good look, and the Hawks lost. After the game, Young was asked if he preferred being the inbounds passer, and he tersely responded with, “It’s not anybody else’s way, but the coach’s way.”

Over the past few weeks, players started to wonder if Pierce had resigned to the inevitability of his situation and was going to go out his way. As the same story played out in end-of-game situations, sources say Hawks owner Ressler grew incensed with his team losing winnable games in the same manner.

I know it’s not the entire reason he was fired, but Cam Reddish’s “lack of development” is such BS. Cam Reddish hasn’t shown any glimpse of being the guy in Atlanta.

Shaq has never in his professional life been good about taking any kind of criticism, constructive or otherwise. Except maybe if it came from his Mom or The Sarge.

Hold on.....

Man came in the thread ASKING for someone to argue about Ben Simmons with him. And y'all just did it?

pizzo: someone start a Ben Simmons discussion
y'all: okay, he can't shoot
pizzo: he plays defense
y'all: 16/8/8
pizzo: he passes well
y'all: lolololol croc rondo

It Gets The People Going GIFs | Tenor

Stockton was not unwilling to shoot man he made the right play whether it was for him or a teammate. I see the overall point your making but I wouldnt say he was unwilling to shoot cause that was not at all the case. Heres him hitting game winners on two fellow hall of famers. Not to mention moneys ankles

he took 10 shots per game in the 97 finals then 8 per game in 98. Points were at a premium and he didn’t even attempt to force the issue

he took 10 shots per game in the 97 finals then 8 per game in 98. Points were at a premium and he didn’t even attempt to force the issue
He took the best team most of us have been alive for to 6 games twice. You think those series go 7 if he looked for his shot more? I can't fault someone for not getting out of character especially when the games were all still close.

He took the best team most of us have been alive for to 6 games twice. You think those series go 7 if he looked for his shot more? I can't fault someone for not getting out of character especially when the games were all still close.

No, but you just said he made the right play whether it was for him or his teammates. There's no way a "willing shooter" who handles the ball shoots 10 or 8 times in the NBA finals.

It was actually James Harden that took the Warriors to 7 games and then 6 in 2018 and 2019, not John Stockton.

they absolutely couldn’t score and he didn’t try to. I expect a top 50 player of all time to get out of character when trying to beat the goat.

No, but you just said he made the right play whether it was for him or his teammates. There's no way a "willing shooter" who handles the ball shoots 10 or 8 times in the NBA finals.
Sure there is man today's game has yall confused about what a pg actually does. Forcing shots isn't the right play just because your losing.

Clutch stats are too noisy and random.

In this case, unfortunately for us Clippers fans, the eye test and stats line up pretty well.:frown:

The Clippers have lost close games to the Jazz, Kings, Celtics, Bucks and Nets (twice) because their defensive and offensive execution in the last two minutes was poor.

In contrast, I believe only 3 of the Clippers 24 wins have been by five points or less. So, basically, if they don’t win comfortably, thereMa a good chance they lose.

In this case, unfortunately for us Clippers fans, the eye test and stats line up pretty well.:frown:

The Clippers have lost close games to the Jazz, Kings, Celtics, Bucks and Nets (twice) because their defensive and offensive execution in the last two minutes was poor.

In contrast, I believe only 3 of the Clippers 24 wins have been by five points or less. So, basically, if they don’t win comfortably, thereMa a good chance they lose.

Need a PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom