OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saban's lucky as hell he's dodging this cardinal bullet.

Simulating 20 best games of 2020 (Alabama vs. USC)

USC 58, Alabama 23

7. Alabama vs. USC (Sept. 5 at AT&T Stadium)
This game will define USC's season more than it will for Alabama. One wonders if a blowout in the season opener could affect USC negatively like it did Florida State when the Tide drilled the Seminoles 24-7 in 2017. FSU finished 7-6 and Jimbo Fisher bolted for Texas A&M.

USC is in a turning-point season for coach Clay Helton, who lost five games last season with a talented roster. The expectation is divisional championship or bust for the Trojans, who are viewed as the second-best team behind Oregon in the Pac-12. A loss to Alabama doesn't end the season but a blowout loss could directly affect the psyche of the team, which already knows their head coach is in trouble in 2020.
Either way, both rosters are loaded with talent but USC's defense just doesn't seem built to be able to stop an elite offense like Alabama enough to win.
RESULTS

No. 7: USC 58, Alabama 23
No. 8: Oklahoma State 62, Texas 59 (4 OT)
No. 9: LSU 28, Alabama 24
No. 10: Memphis 19, UCF 16
No. 11: Minnesota 28, Wisconsin 21
No. 12: Alabama 45, Auburn 13
No. 13: Michigan 51, Ohio State 32
No. 14: Florida 24, LSU 23
No. 15: LSU 20, Texas 13
No. 16: Southern Cal 40, Oregon 35
No. 17: North Carolina 41, Auburn 38
No. 18: Tennessee 34, Oklahoma 24
No. 19: USC 34, Cal 29
No. 20: Cal 24, Arizona State 20

Coming Friday: Oklahoma State at Oklahoma

NCAA football :frown:

I wish they’d at least make it compatible on PS4. Did anyone ever do the mod where you can make the playoff system on it?

peanuts.

I think its gonna take $500k-$1m to land him
tenor.gif

247 insiders reporting sources expect the season to be canceled due to expected governmental restrictions on physical activities and regulations around distancing and testing. “They’re taking the step now of canceling non-conf games but that will likely just delay the inevitable.”

I’m not buying that they’ve made any decisions on canceling the season yet.
Decisions like this are usually made in advance...The announcement comes when they feel like the optics and consensus are in their favor ...They probly just waiting on the official “online semester” word regarding classes like how the Ivy League was moving

California JUCO’s move all sports to spring 2021.

which means Cali high school is next.

These sports that actually generate money are hoping for a miracle. We know college and the NFL will do everything they can to try and play, but in reality, the NFL is the only league that has the means to really "try" and get the season off.

Decisions like this are usually made in advance...The announcement comes when they feel like the optics and consensus are in their favor ...They probly just waiting on the official “online semester” word regarding classes like how the Ivy League was moving
I think they have to consider it in advance but I don't think it means they won't try to push forward until its their last option left on the table.

If ADs and Pac 12 officials are saying off the record they don't think football is happening, it means they're preparing for the likelihood it won't happen and the decision on how and when to communicate that to the public is the focus now. Will they have contingencies in case something changes? Sure. Thje best case scenario is they can play fall football as a revenue source for the rest of the academic year. But you prepare more for the expected outcome, not the optimistic/unlikely one. Right now, being able to play a football season without interruption is unsafe and unlikely.

I posted here in April that someone I know in PSU's admin said they'd already decided to move forward as if the football season was going to happen in the Spring, despite pressure from the federal and local government. The sudden optimism and change in covid numbers in May and June made them reverse course and decide to try to salvage the Fall season and then PA numbers started surging again.

Conference-only is so asinine it's unreal.

Basically we've decided it's not safe enough for South Carolina to play Clemson, but they'll travel to Texas to play A&M?

If we've determined it's not safe to play some games, it's probably a good bet to assume we shouldn't be playing any.

Basically we've decided it's not safe enough for South Carolina to play Clemson, but they'll travel to Texas to play A&M?

If we've determined it's not safe to play some games, it's probably a good bet to assume we shouldn't be playing any.
As asinine as the NFL saying its fine to pound and slobber on each other during the game, but once the game is over, don't exchange jerseys.

They probably have 100 different scenarios in place right now. A decision with multibillion dollar implications like this just isn’t made this far out without all options being exhausted. Even delaying the season has major implications, including affecting the NFL, HS, etc.

I think they’ll explore crossover out of conference games in-state as well. The real answer is that they just don’t know at this point.

I think it was Bobby Layne Bobby Layne who explained it but basically (for example) the B1G has the funding to test all their athletes/coaches/etc whereas the MAC might not so they want to keep it uniform and make sure all are tested

I think it was Bobby Layne Bobby Layne who explained it but basically (for example) the B1G has the funding to test all their athletes/coaches/etc whereas the MAC might not so they want to keep it uniform and make sure all are tested
Ehhh... then they can have the schools demand OOC opponents comply with their protocols if they want the games to go though and cancel those that don't. You're giving a lot of credence on a uniformity argument, that frankly fans are making on behalf of the conferences and not vice verse, to conferences that don't even require their members to play equal numbers of P5/D1 schools.

Look at what the state of Arizona is doing in announcing OLD regulations they didn't enforce as new changes, in an effort to reassure constituents they're exhausting every avenue in an attempt to control this thing. This is all just window dressing.

-----

Things aren't going to change for the better between now and September, so I'll concede there's two scenarios:

1. Either they've already made the decision to cancel the season and play it maybe later and are figuring out the logistics of that and how to announce or,

2. They've decided they don't care and no matter what they will play until public sentiment forces them to shutdown.

In neither scenario are they still waiting and hoping that corona somehow gets cured in the next 30 days. The decision's been made.

In neither scenario are they still waiting and hoping that corona somehow gets cured in the next 30 days. The decision's been made.
Who said they’re waiting on a magic cure? They’re absolutely waiting for data on deaths and spikes over the next month. That informs what the blowback will be. They’re definitely waiting on more to happen with the NFL. I think that any suggestion otherwise is pretty short sighted.

Back
Top Bottom