OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what are the benefits with being a preferred walk on vs. just a walk on?

Can someone educate me?

I'm thinking preferred walk ons can travel for road games and get the use of the training table the scholarship guys get and the regular walk ons dont? What else?

what are the benefits with being a preferred walk on vs. just a walk on?

Can someone educate me?

I'm thinking preferred walk ons can travel for road games and get the use of the training table the scholarship guys get and the regular walk ons dont? What else?
Preferred walk on is guaranteed a spot on the roster. Generally means they are recruited by the school to walk on. Tend to be guys who are looked at first when it comes to converting to scholarship players as well.

Most walkons don't get to travel regardless. I think the NCAA rule is 70, and the B1G allows teams to bring 74.

WO's can use the training table now. The NCAA changed that rule a while ago.

There really is no difference once you make the team. The only difference is PWO's are recruited and don't have to try out like the other guys do.

If your nephew is thinking about walking on somewhere, make sure it's at a place that prioritizes their walkon program. Some programs treat those guys like cannon fodder and others put an emphasis on developing those guys into eventual contributors.

The best ones right now IMO are Wisconsin and Michigan. KSU and Nebraska are historically very good as well.

Thanks gentlemen.

Yes, nephew got asked if he would take a preferred walk on roll at his dream school. He ain't taking it since there's no guarantees. But its great he's on their radar, so to speak. He already committed to an IVY League and will have to pay less than $15k per year, which is great. But he's getting some Big 12 and Pac 12 interest, with Les Miles just offering him a week ago.

At the end of the day, the kid is a very good player but realistically, as a family, we know its not about the NFL but about setting his life up for the next 40 years. However, i know programs like UCLA will eventually offer him as long as he stays healthy. I kid with him about how he's going to have a tough choice if those schools come calling.

But he really loves the Ivy League, as he should. This offer really came out of nowhere. It stunned everyone. Some in the fam were offended because they think he should be on scholly, but I'm trying to talk people off the ledge and turn it into a positive.

I don't know that any Ivy league schools offer fully scholarships
no, they don't. But their endowment/financial aid can be generous, so they offer on a need base. If you're extremely poor, you can get away with paying less than $5k per year. And vice versa.

Damn, Baylor Cupp broke his leg in 4 places and tore a ligament in his ankle during practice. Was really looking forward to what he could do this year.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

no, they don't. But their endowment/financial aid can be generous, so they offer on a need base. If you're extremely poor, you can get away with paying less than $5k per year. And vice versa.

They also finagle scholarships elsewhere. I knew dudes with terrible grades on academic and diversity grants the coaches found and arranged for them.

Thanks gentlemen.

Yes, nephew got asked if he would take a preferred walk on roll at his dream school. He ain't taking it since there's no guarantees. But its great he's on their radar, so to speak. He already committed to an IVY League and will have to pay less than $15k per year, which is great. But he's getting some Big 12 and Pac 12 interest, with Les Miles just offering him a week ago.

At the end of the day, the kid is a very good player but realistically, as a family, we know its not about the NFL but about setting his life up for the next 40 years. However, i know programs like UCLA will eventually offer him as long as he stays healthy. I kid with him about how he's going to have a tough choice if those schools come calling.

But he really loves the Ivy League, as he should. This offer really came out of nowhere. It stunned everyone. Some in the fam were offended because they think he should be on scholly, but I'm trying to talk people off the ledge and turn it into a positive.

That’s dope. Oregon or UCLA? :nerd:

Imagine getting jammed up because some idiot cops thought you put cocaine on the hood of your car. It's a funny story but this could have really ruin this kid's life.

He seems like a candidate to come back to school for one more year tbh but is Kirk Cousins a good comp for Jake Fromm?

Like Cousins I think he's solid is most areas, but doesn't do really anything from an on the field standpoint exceptionally well.

I'd like to see Fine or King rise up boards but I think Costello is going to be the third guy that emerges for 1st RD hype.

Last edited:
He seems like a candidate to come back to school for one more year tbh but is Kirk Cousins a good comp for Jake Fromm?

Like Cousins I think he's solid is most areas, but doesn't do really anything from an on the field standpoint exceptionally well.

I'd like to see Fine or King rise up boards but I think Costello is going to be the third guy that emerges for 1st RD hype.

The knock I’ve seen on both Fine and King is height. Obviously Kyler could change that narrative with a good rookie year.

Hilariously I saw some dudes on Texas’s board calling King a running QB.

The knock I’ve seen on both Fine and King is height. Obviously Kyler could change that narrative with a good rookie year.

Hilariously I saw some dudes on Texas’s board calling King a running QB.

Ehlinger is throwing FB then.

The knocks that should be on King is his arm strength and the offense. The former isn't something that's going to get much better most likely but what they'll be running with Dana this season is a lot more conventional than the Briles stuff.

Hopefully both guys get Senior Bowl invites and they ball out.

Anthony Russo is going to be this years Josh Allen/Daniel Jones.

NFL teams supposedly have a 3rd RD grade on him right now.

Herm is going to have a conniption during the first practice when Jack Jones jumps the wrong route leaving someone wide open for a TD as he tends to do

Back
Top Bottom