Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Cubs were shut out 1-0 Friday night.
Thru 8 last night they were being shut out again, with 16 K's and Hader comes in in the 9th and Jason Heyward CRUSHES a 3 run homer to take the lead. :wow: :pimp: Somebody named Vargas (???) Follows with another bomb, we win 4-2.
Today, we put up a dozen.......and Alec Mills throws a No-Hitter. :wow: :wow: :wow:

There have been two No-No's at Milwaukee. Carlos Zambrano, and Alec Mills, both Cubs. :lol:

28-20 with only 12 games left. 4 game lead. (8 in the win column)

20200926_205239.jpg

Such a crazy year that here I should be getting all the info out for the Cubs season and playoffs, and I have a Lakers Finals game on the same channel, vs the same city, on the same day. :frown: :lol:

Hendricks
Darvish
Lester

Need to get the bats goin a lil bit, and just try to advance each round. Let's steal a 4th World Series. :pimp:

Ian Happ gets us on the board with a oppo solo shot in the 5th. :smokin

1-0, need Hendricks to go the whole 9 if need be.

Truly sad day......

Theo Epstein steps down. :frown:

Knew the day would come, but doesn't hurt any less.

Damn!
Don't know how to feel about this trade.
Obviously Yu didn't have the best first couple of years here, coming off the WS pitch tipping scandal and the subsequent injuries he suffered the following year just made it look bad.
But mans was hands down the best pitcher we had the last year and a half.

Theo gone but Jed still here and we gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.
There's alotta dead money in some of these old players and if Jed can shed Heyward and others and get back good young prospects or free up some money then I'm all for it.

Well.......

On the bright side, we did move a 34 year old with 59 million remaining for 4 prospects and a replacement arm. (lost Caratini too tho)

Thing is, the prospects are really really young, so rather than help in 2021-22-23, they are more likely to help in like 2024 or 2025. (unless we trade them at later dates)

Now rumors of us trading Contreras are out there. :frown:

It's funny, this thread was created as we were on the cusp of turning the corner. We won in 2016 and had the ultimate credit with ownership. Now, 4 years later, I would spit in Ricketts face. He's crying broke like we're the God damn Tampa Rays. Inexcusable.

IF, this is the path, then do it right. Flip Willy, flip Bryant, flip Baez etc. Completely reset the payroll AND the farm system. Apparently we aren't going to sign any of them anyways, so just pull the trigger now.

That said, it is possible they flip 1-2 of them, and maybe extend one, like maybe Javy.

Completely agree with how you feel about the Ricketts, and I’m not even going to mention that entire family’s ardent support of Trump.

Honestly we should’ve all seen this coming.
I look back at Boras and KB publicly crying about contracts & money, as the moment I realized the Ricketts were lying their **** off with all that “money is not an issue, we’re committed to winning” bullissshh.

It kinda set the stage cause KB was coming off a rookie of the year, followed by MVP and World Series MVP. They should’ve locked KB up and got Boras to shut the hell up. Instead they opted to squeeze the rookie deal and try to stock up on arms in the meantime. A decent strategy, and something most of us would’ve done if we’re playing GM.

Speaking on this today and how bad that relationship has gotten we can see the writting on the wall.....
KB will be dealt at some point, so will Rizzo (best value in the majors), Contreras, and so on.
I believe they’ll keep Baez as the face of the franchise while they rebuild.
And it’ll be another slow rebuild.
This blows!!!

The Cubs are one of the most profitable teams in the majors year in and year out, win or lose. It’s a freaking cash cow!!!!!
The Ricketts are just another greedy ownership group. Let us not forget how they tried to pressure former mayor Rahm Emmanuel to use taxpayer funds to cover the renovation costs.
So glad Rahm stood his ground.

Either way I’m just complaining and ranting.
I’m just glad I got see a Cubs World Series win in my lifetime, and that’s part of my problem. I’ll stomach the crap they’re putting out cause they came thru for us 5 years ago smh

Will be ready for opening day

Well.....we signed Joc Pederson on a cheap deal.

Rumors that Ricketts has "increased payroll" now, but I don't believe that for a second. I kinda think if we stumble early, we start sellin off parts pretty quick. But we'll see.

Lot of smoke around Toronto and the Mets with Bryant and/or Hendricks.

Meanwhile the Cards traded for Arenado. .....there goes a thought about winning a "winnable" division. Embarrassing. The Cubs have become an embarrassment again. ....

Cubs sign SP Trevor Williams.

Low risk, cheap buys.

I feel like we're building towards a 2024-2025 timeline, kinda like Theo building in 2011-14.

Well......Jake Arietta back. :wow: :pimp:

1 year, 6 mil.

We lost Jake, added Yu. Lost Yu, added Jake. :lol:

Hendricks
Arietta
Davies
Williams
Alzolay

Rough opener, but Jake back on the mound for us today. :pimp:

Javy with 2 steals before the ball even gets caught. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom