OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America starting soon

Who will win the 2023/24 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hong Kong isn’t even a part of China (yet) though.

I’m so confused here. Sinner Sinner step in. :lol:
HK is definitely a part of China. The Brits colonized HK in the mid 1800's, but was it 'handed back' to China in 1997... as such, HK has been a "Special Administrative Region" of China since 1997... meaning we have our own laws and rules, separate from the Mainland.
Not gonna get into the politics of it, cuz that an entirely different convo.

There's a lot more context to this Messi saga than what some of the headlines were saying... a lot of "HK fans angry that injured Messi didn't play" narratives, which makes the HK fans sound unreasonable. I was taking to my friend about this, so I'll just copypasta it here...

A bit of context on the timeline...

Inter Miami arrived on Friday from Saudi... Messi didn't look particularly happy or friendly, but maybe he was just tired after getting off the plane... whatever... fine. They do a very brief photo sesh at the airport and then they promptly leave.

Saturday... they have a scheduled open training session at the stadium where they sold tix for... 30k show up to watch Miami train. Messi comes out last, but we had already known he might have been carrying an injury cuz he only played 7 mins in Saudi. He ended up not training with the team and just did some stretches on the side and played a bit of tap-passes with some local academy kids. At this point, the public was just thinking maybe he was saving himself for Sunday's game.

Come Sunday, we still don't know if he's on the team or not... but before kickoff, Miami Tweets their teamsheet... no Messi... not even on the bench. The entire 40k crowed (some of them paid US$600 for a ticket) chant his name during the entire match, but he just sat there on the bench in his tracksuit and sneakers (not boots). The match ends and Miami wins... the gov and event organizers asked Miami to send Messi out to raise the trophy... they refused. They asked Miami to send Messi out with a mic to address the crowd... they refused. Instead, they sent Becks out there... and was showered with boos. You know things are bad when they boo Becks... whom they adore here.

They quietly leave for Japan the next day, much to the anger of HK... and to an extent, China as a lot of Mainland fans made the trip over (some traveled 12hrs apparently) to see him. Naturally, they felt very disappointed and angry cuz there was no public explanation or anything. The coach only gave a brief comment to the press. I think had Messi came out to talk to the crowd, walked around the pitch for some pics and whatnot, kicked a few balls into the stands... showed some appreciation to the crowd... I think it would have made things a bit less ugly. At least it would have shown a bit of good will towards his fans. It would have taken 20mins or so... but they refused. Dunno why.

Fast forward to Wednesday, Messi had a full presser in Japan, trained with the team there... and ended up playing over 30mins vs Vissel Kobe, while Suarez (also very popular here) played 60min. To go from barely doing any activity... to training and playing 30mins within a span of 3 days... you can understand why the fans were a bit sus. Naturally, this enraged the fans even more.

Overall, I felt this mess was down to Inter Miami, Messi and the HK-based event organizers. The HK fans are reasonable enough to know that injuries can happen, but it was the way it was handled by Miami... they danced around whether Messi would play and there was no clarity to the fans. Had they been a bit more up-front with the fans and shown a bit more respect to the paying crowd, I think it would have helped with the situation.

HK is definitely a part of China. The Brits colonized HK in the mid 1800's, but was it 'handed back' to China in 1997... as such, HK has been a "Special Administrative Region" of China since 1997... meaning we have our own laws and rules, separate from the Mainland.
Not gonna get into the politics of it, cuz that an entirely different convo.

There's a lot more context to this Messi saga than what some of the headlines were saying... a lot of "HK fans angry that injured Messi didn't play" narratives, which makes the HK fans sound unreasonable. I was taking to my friend about this, so I'll just copypasta it here...

A bit of context on the timeline...

Inter Miami arrived on Friday from Saudi... Messi didn't look particularly happy or friendly, but maybe he was just tired after getting off the plane... whatever... fine. They do a very brief photo sesh at the airport and then they promptly leave.

Saturday... they have a scheduled open training session at the stadium where they sold tix for... 30k show up to watch Miami train. Messi comes out last, but we had already known he might have been carrying an injury cuz he only played 7 mins in Saudi. He ended up not training with the team and just did some stretches on the side and played a bit of tap-passes with some local academy kids. At this point, the public was just thinking maybe he was saving himself for Sunday's game.

Come Sunday, we still don't know if he's on the team or not... but before kickoff, Miami Tweets their teamsheet... no Messi... not even on the bench. The entire 40k crowed (some of them paid US$600 for a ticket) chant his name during the entire match, but he just sat there on the bench in his tracksuit and sneakers (not boots). The match ends and Miami wins... the gov and event organizers asked Miami to send Messi out to raise the trophy... they refused. They asked Miami to send Messi out with a mic to address the crowd... they refused. Instead, they sent Becks out there... and was showered with boos. You know things are bad when they boo Becks... whom they adore here.

They quietly leave for Japan the next day, much to the anger of HK... and to an extent, China as a lot of Mainland fans made the trip over (some traveled 12hrs apparently) to see him. Naturally, they felt very disappointed and angry cuz there was no public explanation or anything. The coach only gave a brief comment to the press. I think had Messi came out to talk to the crowd, walked around the pitch for some pics and whatnot, kicked a few balls into the stands... showed some appreciation to the crowd... I think it would have made things a bit less ugly. At least it would have shown a bit of good will towards his fans. It would have taken 20mins or so... but they refused. Dunno why.

Fast forward to Wednesday, Messi had a full presser in Japan, trained with the team there... and ended up playing over 30mins vs Vissel Kobe, while Suarez (also very popular here) played 60min. To go from barely doing any activity... to training and playing 30mins within a span of 3 days... you can understand why the fans were a bit sus. Naturally, this enraged the fans even more.

Overall, I felt this mess was down to Inter Miami, Messi and the HK-based event organizers. The HK fans are reasonable enough to know that injuries can happen, but it was the way it was handled by Miami... they danced around whether Messi would play and there was no clarity to the fans. Had they been a bit more up-front with the fans and shown a bit more respect to the paying crowd, I think it would have helped with the situation.

I understand why the people of Hong Kong are angry at this situation. They have a right to be. Absolutely agree. Money should be refunded.

As for HK. I’m aware. China took it back then they took back Macau soon after.

I just thought Hong Kong was going to transition to being a part of China (completely) by like 2050 or something?

I was under the impression you guys still have lots of anatomy until then? Isn’t that what the protesting is for? To keep some of that independence?

Ah okay. I’ll ask.

Probably a no from cousins. They’re scattered around Portugal now with their jobs.

I’ll buy the tickets from you directly and just give it as a gift to him if he’s interested. But even as a gift he probably won’t go. :lol:

If it was two I’d say definitely. He’d probably want to bring his Brazilian young GF :lol:

He’d rather watch at home with some wine and a presunto sandwich. He’s been to enough games.

So if you get a chance to sell them by tonight just go for it.

you guys still have lots of anatomy
1708008832077.png

I understand why the people of Hong Kong are angry at this situation. They have a right to be. Absolutely agree. Money should be refunded.

I just thought Hong Kong was going to transition to being a part of China (completely) by like 2050 or something?

I was under the impression you guys still have lots of anatomy until then? Isn’t that what the protesting is for? To keep some of that independence?
Yeah by 2047. Hong Kong's population has some serious balls though. A handful of years ago when China tried to egregiously restrict their independence with that National Security Law or whatever it was called, there were huge protests in Hong Kong. Idk if protesting is a consistent thing over there but that particular law and Hong Kong's huge protests against it were all over international press.

Yeah by 2047. Hong Kong's population has some serious balls though. A handful of years ago when China tried to egregiously restrict their independence with that National Security Law or whatever it was called, there were huge protests in Hong Kong.

Yea man, the people of Hong Kong are some real fighters. Lots of credit to them.

I hope they’ll be able to get what they want. Best of luck to them.

A handful of years ago when China tried to egregiously restrict their independence with that National Security Law or whatever it was called, there were huge protests in Hong Kong. Idk if protesting is a consistent thing over there but that particular law and Hong Kong's huge protests against it were all over international press.
Yea man, the people of Hong Kong are some real fighters. Lots of credit to them.

I hope they’ll be able to get what they want. Best of luck to them.
Hell yeah, look at these badass mfs :pimp:

1708009720504.png

1708009855774.png

The organizers have since announced that they will offer a 50% refund to everyone who bought tickets via official channels... meaning if you bought yours thru a reseller/scalper, you're SOL!

Hard to say what their ultimate plan is for HK. They will obvs want to have some level of control, while at the same time allow some level of leeway to maintain their 'One Country, Two System' principle. AFAIK, they don't want that to fail.

Ironically, under British colonial rule, governors were appointed to us every few years. The Brits called the shots just as much. 🤷‍♂️

Idk if protesting is a consistent thing over there but that particular law and Hong Kong's huge protests against it were all over international press.

Marches/rallies have always been a thing here, but 2019 the absolute worst of it. Damn near destroyed the city.
And if I learned anything from witnessing that locally, was that after watching the local live feeds, the international media/press def tried to push some different/inaccurate narratives. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... I'm sure the US folks see this on a daily basis with Fox, CNN, etc.

Anywho... back to footy.

Mentality in Argentina is completely different. It’s more like “we embarrassed ourselves last match so I’m going to spend my hard earned money to go insult my club in person if they don’t improve” :lol:

😭

Dragão will be full tho because it’s the CL and it’s vs Arsenal.

Just won’t be anyone under 50 in there. :lol:

Coupé It Coupé It :lol: no worries. Hopefully I can sell it somewhere I just don’t want it to go to waste.

Been thinking I should have gone to Porto for this game instead of going back to London again :smh:

Coupé It Coupé It :lol: no worries. Hopefully I can sell it somewhere I just don’t want it to go to waste.

Been thinking I should have gone to Porto for this game instead of going back to London again :smh:

Yea that probably would have been the move bro. :lol:

It’ll be 70 degrees there next week.

But it’s hard to turn down a home game for your favorite club in a Champions League knockout round. Especially after Arsenal hadn’t been there in so long.

I know he will go to real but I’d love to see him in the prem. Even if it was to Liverpool or Arsenal that would be exciting and I’m here for the heightened comp

:lol:

Apparently they're trying to get a leg up on United there because there's a fear that Ashworth would try to poach him and bring him on with him to United since he worked under him at Brighton.

I know he will go to real but I’d love to see him in the prem. Even if it was to Liverpool or Arsenal that would be exciting and I’m here for the heightened comp
Think if Klopp wasn't leaving that 'Pool would've been a real possibility

Back
Top Bottom