OFFICIAL 2023-24 FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Real Madrid does it again

Who will win the 2023/24 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thought this was super random until I read that the Emir is an 80's baby :lol:, grew up during the Fergie golden era so it makes sense.

Apparently they'll have Gulf competition though

Either one of them would probably love getting one over Abu Dhabi...

Football clubs have become a bigger flex than expensive cars etc in the gulf states
Wealthy people in the gulf states are wild. They've long been past expensive cars.

The following experience always stuck with me because it perfectly shows the level of absurdity.
As some might know, I sell social media usernames as a side hustle.
I had done a couple deals with a very wealthy Saudi, who was known to have paid others a combined $15000 for two 1 letter Instagram usernames for himself and his brother. The one for himself was the username "G", the other one was "K" if I recall correctly. He also purchased his alias "Sad" (his actual name is Saeed) on every platform.
Since I wasn't a total stranger, I at one point asked him about the sudden massive spike in interest from wealthy gulf state individuals in buying the rarest and most expensive username possible.

This was a conversation that took place at least 3 years ago I think, probably 4.
What this Saeed told me was that for people like him, wealthy gulf state residents, everyone in his circle has a Lambo, a Ferrari, a tiger, ...
However a username is of course unique, and they can be extremely rare. To this guy, him owning the IG username "G" was the biggest flex he could show off.
After all there's only a very limited amount of 1 letter usernames that can exist, and further limited due to some being banned, owned by IG staff, or simply owned by someone unwilling to sell.
His IG "G" got hacked by another wealthy arab and the first thing he did was put out an offer of $10k for another 1 letter IG username.

I'm sure if you were to look up every 1 letter username on IG, besides the ones that are owned by celebs or banned due to account theft/selling/hacking, you'll note quite a few of them are owned by a wealthy arab.
For example, this one was very obviously bought.
https://www.instagram.com/h/

Loads of the 1 letters are banned though, and I can vouch that an overwhelming majority were bought by wealthy people from gulf states. A common issue was that these people would constantly hire hackers (sim-swapping, social engineering, ...) to try and steal them from eachother.

Last edited:
Qatar gonna bring Mbappe to Old Trafford. City losing all their trophies. Our bantz era gonna have more trophies than Pool & Tottenham after City get hit.

4E45EC3D-7794-408F-AC8A-7CE3CDDFDB87.jpeg

Who would have thought these clubs would completely flip places in tbe span of 6 months?

WATTBA!

footy fans hoping for oil club levers takeovers is nasty but this is the state of club football now
Don't think footy fans have any say at all in who buys clubs nowadays, especially for big clubs.

There's also only a select few groups of individuals or institutions on the planet capable of even affording some of these valuations so the buyers pool is infitinitely smaller and filled with plenty of moral ambiguity :lol:

Whether it's Americans/Chinese/Gulf Arab buyers, it's real hard for anyone's hands to be clean at that level

Yea looking like it's gonna come down to either more Americans or Gulf money...

Not ideal but guess realistic with the amount of money required :ohwell:

Sir Jim's got money but these other consortiums have that x dozens :sick:. It's not just the club valuation, they'll need to upgrade/replace OT as well which will cost a ton on top of the club price.

Back
Top Bottom