Official '24 NYK off-season thread; Mo Cheeks hired as assistant coach

Should the knicks trade for Damian Lillard?

• A. Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • B. No

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • C. IDK

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • D. Joel Embid instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RJ efficiency, playing within the offense, and excellent defense was a good sight to see.

And Deuce ofc has his hands all over the W. He added some rhythm to the shot to make the impact even more 🔥

Good freaking win w/ a 32 point turnaround.

Sitting in 5 for the night.

#TeamMcBride
#DeuceIsLoose

Great win last night.

We're peaking at the right time.

I'm ready for the playoffs.

I hope we match up with the Cavs and stomp a mudhole in em.

Great to see RJ getting back to himself.

This is why you can't give up on a 22 year old lottery pick...cause he had a few bad weeks and he's only averaging 20/5/3.

This team is deep, well balanced and gritty. We're starting to look like a real NY Knick squad.

Developing an identity of pushing the ball and playing physical half court defense has really helped us stand out from the pack.

Last edited:
FrQFg_MWYAEks4B

Mitch needs to grow up. We dogged ihart early, but he’s been playing well of late. I have no issues with him taking Mitch’s minutes. Maybe Mitchell needs to work on a post game and then maybe he’ll get some touches inside. Right now he’s just a rebounder, shot blocker, and lob threat.

RJ need to do more .. them stats are so deceiving ... my eye test be having him scoring 10pts but when you look at the stat sheet, dude has like 25 on a good %.

Plus dude is not playing with Brunson .... he needs to do this with Brunson regardless if Brunson and Randle are ball dominant, he needs to adjust if not he a bust.

6 man at best.

Last edited:
How are you going to say RJ plays well without Brunson, and then admit that Brunson and Randle are ball dominant, but he should still be producing the same? Rhythm is very important. Look at how Deuce and the bench played when they were getting equal touches and the ball was moving. You can’t have only 2 guys handle the ball for 2-3 minute stretches and then expect the 3rd guy to go off with no rhythm. I’d argue it’s the same issue with Grimes. He’s running around without even touching the ball for minutes at a time, but is expected to knock down shots cold.

While I agree that RJ can and should do more, you have to look at the team flow as a whole when the starting 5 is out there. To say he’s a bust averaging 20 as the THIRD option at 22 years old is wild…

If RJ is a bust, what’s Obi?

Mitch needs to grow up. We dogged ihart early, but he’s been playing well of late. I have no issues with him taking Mitch’s minutes. Maybe Mitchell needs to work on a post game and then maybe he’ll get some touches inside. Right now he’s just a rebounder, shot blocker, and lob threat.
Remember when we tried making Chandler get a post up game and he worked out with Hakeem just to again be a rebounder, shot blocker, and lob threat the following seasons he was with us hahaha. I don't think Mitch will be able to learn one if he doesn't already have one by now.

How are you going to say RJ plays well without Brunson, and then admit that Brunson and Randle are ball dominant, but he should still be producing the same? Rhythm is very important. Look at how Deuce and the bench played when they were getting equal touches and the ball was moving. You can’t have only 2 guys handle the ball for 2-3 minute stretches and then expect the 3rd guy to go off with no rhythm. I’d argue it’s the same issue with Grimes. He’s running around without even touching the ball for minutes at a time, but is expected to knock down shots cold.

While I agree that RJ can and should do more, you have to look at the team flow as a whole when the starting 5 is out there. To say he’s a bust averaging 20 as the THIRD option at 22 years old is wild…

My entire post, was an incoherent sarcastic rant on how everyone goes at RJ.

My bad. G!

It's the same idea as when Nick Nurse tried making Kyle Lowry play offball that one season in 2017 (i think it was lowry iirc) and his stats took a hit, from 22ppg to 16ppg and then you add in Kawhi it went even lower to 14ppg. It's gonna happen when you have to adjust your game for a new ball handler on the team.

Remember when we tried making Chandler get a post up game and he worked out with Hakeem just to again be a rebounder, shot blocker, and lob threat the following seasons he was with us hahaha. I don't think Mitch will be able to learn one if he doesn't already have one by now.

Mitch just doesn’t have the fluidity. As athletic as he is he’s pretty stiff. Good post players have a touch and fluidity that you just can’t teach if you didn’t develop it by now.

Mitch wants to play like Mason Plumlee without realizing that he doesn't have Mason Plumlee's offensive skill set.

I don't take much from his post tho. He's an emotional young player, having his ups and downs and working hard to be better. It can be frustrating and he's still maturing. Dude's are Human at the end of the day.

With all of the locker room leaders we have now, someone will get in his ear and straighten him out.

On another note, I really hope we go heavy on developing Obi if he's not trade bait in the summer.

He shows some incredible flashes and the surface of his potential is barely being scratched. Those stepback 3's last night were impressive.

It feels good to see the Knicks be on the top half and look/act/play like they belong there. For decades we have faked the funk and every victory to seem like a struggle. Yesterday they looked like a complete team with prospects,that if given time and time on the court could develop into a long term winning franchise.

Maybe Im always over optimistic, but I tend to believe that we have drafted well (team oriented players) and they can helpus be successful.

Last edited:
RJ need to do more .. them stats are so deceiving ... that eye test having scoring 10pts but when you look at the stats dude has like 25 on a good %.

Plus dude is not playing with Brunson .... he needs to do this with Brunson regardless if Brunson and Randle are ball dominant, he needs to adjust if not he a bust.

6 man at best.
So he's supposed to be a 3rd option and still pretend to be in rhythm while not getting the touches to have a rhythm??? Make it make sense .. 🤣

Feels great that we’re getting the wins. And I’m in a new position where I’m sitting here & we’re really playing for something. And I haven’t really been in that position before in my career.

Bench put up 45 w/o Quick & with only 3 of dem doing the scoring.

Deuce came up big time for us 🙂

Mitch been complaining about touches for years.

If iHart continues to play defense the way he has been, not mad at his increase in minutes.

Mitch wants to play like Mason Plumlee without realizing that he doesn't have Mason Plumlee's offensive skill set.

I don't take much from his post tho. He's an emotional young player, having his ups and downs and working hard to be better. It can be frustrating and he's still maturing. Dude's are Human at the end of the day.

With all of the locker room leaders we have now, someone will get in his ear and straighten him out.

On another note, I really hope we go heavy on developing Obi if he's not trade bait in the summer.

He shows some incredible flashes and the surface of his potential is barely being scratched. Those stepback 3's last night were impressive.
I don’t think any player in any League ever wanted to or ever wants to play like Mason Plumlee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom