Official 9/11 10 Year Anniversary Thread

1st grade. Don't remember too much. Just remember teachers talking about it.

R.I.P. to all those lost.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I was a junior at Syracuse...woke up - ready to go to a religion class and fired up my laptop.
I used to always check Niketalk first in the morning - this very forum - because anything that was news worthy seemed to always show up here first.

Sure enough there was a thread about an aircraft striking the WTC.  A lot of the accounts were people actually in NYC in Manhattan...when I left for class no one really knew what was going on.

I walked out into the campus and immediately knew something was wrong.  EVERYONE was on their phones (and this was at a time when people didn't always have their phones out texting/browsing/angry birding)...and it was so quiet.  You could tell everyone was unsettled and anxious.

I got to my class and we waited for the professor to arrive - he was late, which was VERY unusual.  People were sharing stories about what they had heard up until they left for class.

Our professor came in and informed us, "Class...I'm not sure how to articulate this properly - but it appears the United States is under attack.  Two planes have hit the WTC towers and there are now reports of a plane hitting the pentagon and a plane down in Pennsylvania, which may have been targeting the White House or the Capitol Building.  Class is cancelled today - please watch the news and get in touch with any loved ones that may have been affected."

I remember walking out of the building and seeing everyone on their phones...some were crying.  Syracuse had a lot of people from NYC and the surrounding area...I got back to my room and turned on the TV and about 15 mins after  I turned it on the first tower collapsed.  I watched for another couple of hours and then decided I needed a break...went out and bought the Blueprint - the mall was incredibly quiet (there were reports telling people to stay away from malls/public places).

I was in a funk for the next few weeks...it was truly one of those days where you know exactly where you were and what you were doing.  I'll never forget - and I will always appreciate the acts of heroism (both told and untold) and what our troops have continued to do to protect our freedoms and prevent another day like this from happening again.

Kinda weird but I also remembered that I joined NikeTalk 2 days before 9/11 happened

one of my first posts was in that 9/11 thread
30t6p3b.gif

WOW most everyone in here was in middle school while I was sitting in college. Makes me feel old.

Never forget those that were lost and the thing that occured on that day.

I was in the 8th grade when everything happened... its crazy that its already been 10 years, feels like yesterday...

Feels like yesterday still. Was in 5th grade when they rushed us all out into the "pod" (each grade, 1st-5th was separated and had about 6 classrooms with a big common room, being the pod). They sat us all down and told us they couldn't say why we were taken out of class. Slowly but surely kids got called to the front office and were taken home but several got called to the front office to talk to their parents on the phone and when they got back to the "pod" they were crying and the rumors spread and eventually the teachers had no choice but to turn the TV on and tell us what happened. I lived in the DC Metro area but I don't think I had ever thought to myself that we would be a target, even after the Pentagon attack, I was just worried about all of my family in New York. And I remember when I got home and turned the TV on just thinking, "This isn't real, this can't happen to us."
Apparently as soon as the attack happened my brother (who was in High School at the time) told everyone it was Al-Qaeda (my brother's an undercover genius so he must have been researching Islamic radicalism prior to 9/11) and they brought him to the front office to question him.

I also remember a couple of weeks after it in class there was one kid who always got picked in 'cus he was so feminine and whenever any guys would tell him anything he would run to the girls and tell them what we said. A couple of weeks after 9/11 one of my friends had made fun of him (justified) in class and the teacher flipped on him and called him in front of everyone, "the classroom terrorist" and that he was a, "Black Osama" and I just remember the whole class going quiet and looking at her in sheer disgust.

anyone watched the 60 minutes special on it that just finished?

amazing, sad stuff on there

they had a detective there and she was sayin that a man came up to her will bones in his hands saying that it was his sons remains

theres another special with robert deniro goin on cbs right now, interviewing ppl who were there and the first responders

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

WOW most everyone in here was in middle school while I was sitting in college. Makes me feel old.

lol, I was a senior in High School and I thought I felt old

time really flies

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Hey can someone find the 9/11 thread on here, I would like to see the first reactions to it
ezboard is long gone, bro

not even the wayback search engine can retrieve it

I was also in 9th grade at the time.
Woke up the news was on didnt pay too much attention cuz i was gonna be late for school
but what i saw was that a plane had hit a building i didnt realize the severity of the situation until after school.
When i got to my cousins house we put the news on and i remember her reading outloud the headline on the t.v. "America under attack"
I dont recall any teachers talking much about it.
Kept seeing the footage for a whole week or 2 after that and it was all engraved in my head.
R.I.P to all those lost

All these specials feel like a big slap in the face. I don't want to remember all of what happened. I guess people mourn in their own manner. But with commercials and what not, all these tv networks are making big bucks today.

A brief reflection and memorial type event is okay.. Replaying the days events and interviews is just terrible. I know this has been going on since the 1st one year mark, but it's always a bad time of year for me

I actually kept the NY daily newspaper from the day after

Here's the newspaper on the morning of 9/11... I was all hyped because of this news
Spoiler [+]
rkzoyq.jpg

tired.gif
  The newspaper on the day after **** There might be a disturbing pic**** Just a warning
Spoiler [+]
2ltsk10.jpg

2m5be3q.jpg

orv1v5.jpg

2lapopu.jpg

o5yyq1.jpg

25p7o0w.jpg

35cmog8.jpg

jqsy6o.jpg

qxrw48.jpg

Damn, i can't believe it's been 10 years already. Where'd the time go? All i know is, those people who lost their lives on that day will never be forgotten.

I can still remember where i was and what I was doing that day, but can't tell you what I was doing last week....

Damn, ten years already. The Chargers had a nice little tribute before the game. I wonder how the New York sports teams went.

I will post better pictures in the morning when the sun shines through the glass

Back
Top Bottom