Votes: 237 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
One of my teaching colleagues hit me up after a meeting the other day (I was wearing my breds) and was like "my brother had a pair of those when we were kids. Actually, I had the all red ones." I asked him if they still had them and this is what he sent to me today:

Air Jordan's Chicago 1.jpeg

He wants to know if they're worth anything. Size 11. Thoughts?

(Look at the shape of that midsole, btw!!!)

Outlets are dead to me
Nike doesn’t even do 30% off F&F anymore
Got rid of the $10 survey coupon
It’s like they don’t want our money anymore
Damn shame

When they clipped phone orders that was the beginning of the end for outlets & finding gems

damn not even travis 1 highs were a draw but these hyper royals are? :lol:

I still want them tho, might have to give up the University Blue 1's. Hyper Royals >

I couldn’t even enter for Trav high’s on snkrs ...errors the whole drop but the trav lows were a draw if I’m not mistaken.

When they clipped phone orders that was the beginning of the end for outlets & finding gems

I couldn’t even enter for Trav high’s on snkrs ...errors the whole drop but the trav lows were a draw if I’m not mistaken.

I think the cycle will eventually go back to Nike/JB flooding the market with retros and largely killing resale on GRs (limited drops will always have some level of resale, obviously). At that point, outlets will get a lot of the surplus GR releases like they did in 2019. To your point, everything will be localized and it’ll still be a crapshoot, although your odds of even finding a retro release on the shelf in your size will be MUCH better than nowadays of course. People need to remember that this is all a cycle, we saw the exact same cycle play out from 2011-2015 and Nike/JB does this to build hype.

I think the cycle will eventually go back to Nike/JB flooding the market with retros and largely killing resale on GRs (limited drops will always have some level of resale, obviously). At that point, outlets will get a lot of the surplus GR releases like they did in 2019. To your point, everything will be localized and it’ll still be a crapshoot, although your odds of even finding a retro release on the shelf in your size will be MUCH better than nowadays of course. People need to remember that this is all a cycle, we saw the exact same cycle play out from 2011-2015 and Nike/JB does this to build hype.

Maybe so but I think Nike learned their lesson last time. We need the boost boys to comeback.

I think the cycle will eventually go back to Nike/JB flooding the market with retros and largely killing resale on GRs (limited drops will always have some level of resale, obviously).

it always happens. itll happen again. set a personal limit on any given shoe that if you found on the secondary market youd jump, but other than that, cycle back in a year or two. did the same with all the yeezys i missed out on or sold in the initial craze and there are bargains to be had

Maybe so but I think Nike learned their lesson last time. We need the boost boys to comeback.

No this has also happened before 2011 (I’ve been buying retros since 2002). Eventually, Nike/JB will need to expand sales and, unless sales of performance sneakers miraculously pickup, they’re going to need to expand sales of retro product again. The key in what they absolutely will do in the next 2-4 years is that they will hike up the retail price on retros so your $190 GR Jumpman Air Jordan 4s will now cost $220+. This wouldn’t work out so well if people hadn’t accepted the resale prices but you’re seeing GRs that sold out go for $220-$250 (I.e. Stealth 5s, Georgetown 3s, Carmine 6, etc. etc.) on the aftermarket and this in turn raises the price floor for Nike/JB to increase prices in future releases.I guarantee you they will use “remastered” quality improvements, inflation, etc. to do so. That said what they probably want to avoid is increasing the prices too much like they did at peak Foamposite hype and when people lost interest, nobody was buying them at $220-$250 (not saying AJ retro hype is comparable to Foam hype but you get the picture, relative to retail prices).

it always happens. itll happen again. set a personal limit on any given shoe that if you found on the secondary market youd jump, but other than that, cycle back in a year or two. did the same with all the yeezys i missed out on or sold in the initial craze and there are bargains to be had

I will say that, although this is generally true, you have to have some foresight into what releases are going to come around sooner vs their relative hype.

For example, I copped both Royal 1s and Shadow 1s for retail but paid $200-$215 resale for my 2nd pairs soon after release knowing full well if I waited for a deal I would be screwed since prices weren’t going to come down on those because of their history and people’s general love for those CWs.

Likewise, I doubled up on Spidey 1s for $300 resale soon after release since I knew this was more or less an unofficial collab and since Spiderverse was getting such great reviews (and even though paying $300 resale for a newly released, $160 shoe is still a lot), I knew people would drive up hype for the shoes.

I’ve also made mistakes by not coughing up $300 for 2016 Bred 1s and 2015 Chi 1s as well so I’ve also been on the other end of this as well.

I will say that, although this is generally true, you have to have some foresight into what releases are going to come around sooner vs their relative hype.

For example, I copped both Royal 1s and Shadow 1s for retail but paid $200-$215 resale for my 2nd pairs soon after release knowing full well if I waited for a deal I would be screwed since prices weren’t going to come down on those because of their history and people’s general love for those CWs.

Likewise, I doubled up on Spidey 1s for $300 resale soon after release since I knew this was more or less an unofficial collab and since Spiderverse was getting such great reviews, I knew people would drive up hype for the shoes.

I’ve also made mistakes by not coughing up $300 for 2016 Bred 1s and 2015 Chi 1s as well so I’ve also been on the other end of this as well.

true, part of it is knowing when youre in that down time is and when to buy and the other is understanding what a "bargain" is relative to the market though. generally youre not gonna get a $1500 resell value shoe for retail but $700-$800 would be bargain relative to what the market was.

One of my teaching colleagues hit me up after a meeting the other day (I was wearing my breds) and was like "my brother had a pair of those when we were kids. Actually, I had the all red ones." I asked him if they still had them and this is what he sent to me today:

Air Jordan's Chicago 1.jpeg's Chicago 1.jpeg

He wants to know if they're worth anything. Size 11. Thoughts?

(Look at the shape of that midsole, btw!!!)
Even in that condition they will fetch a nice price..

true, part of it is knowing when youre in that down time is and when to buy and the other is understanding what a "bargain" is relative to the market though. generally youre not gonna get a $1500 resell value shoe for retail but $700-$800 would be bargain relative to what the market was.

Yes exactly. TS 1s originally went for around $700 soon after release which honestly would be an absolute STEAL nowadays. Same thing with O-W Chicago 1s. I doubt either of these shoes ever retro so I doubt prices are ever coming down to their original resale prices as well.

I've been dreading wearing the NG 1's because of the narrowness of it I know is gonna kill my sides. Who was here that recommended some good orthopedic insoles for 1's?

Back
Top Bottom