• UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
Yeah, what?

Wearing Js wasn’t it because of their price or availability…
Hard to argue we aren’t in a more sheepish, materialistic culture but Jheri-curls, moustaches and mullets weren’t popular because of individuality :lol:

Sure, covid aside, some brands are down but many are prospering and there are far more cooks in the kitchen than ever IMO

Fair to say those mentioned brands and others popular in the 1980s wouldn’t blow up today…
…instead you have Off-White, Bape and a grip of other successful yet overpriced, uninspired brands which would’ve been laughed out of that market

Asics and Saucony are category leaders in sales…

How them rose tinted glasses?

What are you talking about? Please speak on what you know or experienced.

Asics and Saucony are category in sales? Where? You've seen Matt Powell mention them? You see the Saucony and Asics threads popping? Nobody gives a damn about Asics unless Ronnie is doing it.

Are you speaking from experience? Because not everyone had Jheri-curls. You can look in that same decade and you had high top fades, people wearing fades and ceasars. So no, everyone was not trying to be the same.

That's why you had Run DMC with Adidas. Mc Shan rocking Puma. LL wearing Troop's. Heavy D rapping about Nike. Doug E Fresh wearing Bally's. Because it was about individuality.

Do not speak on a culture you aren't aware of.

I dunno... Yeah there was more competition then, but there were still people that stuck with just 1 or 2 brands. I was born in 85 and I only wore Nike sneakers up until 3-4 years ago, with the exception of a pair of Reebok classics and a few random shoes that were bought for me as a child.

Not sure where you're from, but this is far from true.

Nike wasn't even hot like that until the 90's. They were really just another company and you based everything on how you liked the kicks.

You had Puma, Adidas, Converse, Reebok, Fila, Lotto, K-Swiss, Spot Bilt(Saucony), British Knights, Fila, New Balance, Vans, Troops...

****in Domnique used to rock Brooks, and Spud Webb Pony's

Magic had his own sneaker. Pat had his.

You really need to listen to some older dudes speak who grew up in this **** like Bobbito or Clark. It was never about one or two sneaker companies, this is some recent stuff.

Black people., urban communities, especially in New York

This isn't true, far from it.

In the 80's and 90's it wasn't about wearing what everyone else wore. There was more individuality.

That's why you had so many different brands. Companies like British Knights or Fila would never break through now. It's hard enough for Puma or Reebok to get recognition now. If you have 20 sneaker brands it's less likely you'll see your same sneaker out.

Now everyone needs influencers, social media and celebs to tell them what to wear.

Now people won't wear Asics or Saucony, because nobody else is. They're bricks. People needed other people to get them to buy Uptown's or Dunks again. Three years ago those basic *** dunks like Syracuse, Michigan or UNLV wouldn't have been hard to get like those Michigan's from five years ago. Now a plain white and black dunk is fire?
Not sure where you're from, but this is far from true.

Nike wasn't even hot like that until the 90's. They were really just another company and you based everything on how you liked the kicks.

You had Puma, Adidas, Converse, Reebok, Fila, Lotto, K-Swiss, Spot Bilt(Saucony), British Knights, Fila, New Balance, Vans, Troops...

****in Domnique used to rock Brooks, and Spud Webb Pony's

Magic had his own sneaker. Pat had his.

You really need to listen to some older dudes speak who grew up in this **** like Bobbito or Clark. It was never about one or two sneaker companies, this is some recent stuff.

Black people., urban communities, especially in New York
tenor.gif

Here I've been for 7 yrs thinking I'm the only NASCAR fan on NT :lol:

Had a great time at the race at NHMS on Sunday, even with the rain delay. I go to Daytona every Feb. now for the 500, too.

People don't realize NASCAR has been a part of streetwear for about 20 yrs. NASCAR jackets were everywhere in NYC in the early 2000s - I'd see them almost every time I got on the subway. Hell, Heron Preston built his whole brand off of NASCAR. I wore some metallic red 1s with my Jeff Gordon jacket last winter and had one random dude stop me to tell me it was a "sick fit" lol.

What are you talking about? Please speak on what you know or experienced.

Asics and Saucony are category in sales? Where? You've seen Matt Powell mention them? You see the Saucony and Asics threads popping? Nobody gives a damn about Asics unless Ronnie is doing it.

Are you speaking from experience? Because not everyone had Jheri-curls. You can look in that same decade and you had high top fades, people wearing fades and ceasars. So no, everyone was not trying to be the same.

That's why you had Run DMC with Adidas. Mc Shan rocking Puma. LL wearing Troop's. Heavy D rapping about Nike. Doug E Fresh wearing Bally's. Because it was about individuality.

Do not speak on a culture you aren't aware of.

:lol: First, I’ll speak on what I please so just drop that act

…and what are you trying to gatekeep?

Honestly, I think my use of the word ‘culture’ has you emotional
The discussion was at no point only about what happens on your street

Sure, ASICS and Saucony probably are ‘bricks’ by hypebeast standards.
Uh, “Performance running”…?
Matt Powell? Lmao. Okay, I got you…

I never said everyone had anything, straw man, those only were three examples of common trends a lot of people followed and then abandoned
I mean most of those ‘individuality’ individuals weren’t rocking high top-nothin‘ in glorious ‘97, were they? Would have been unique tho, just saying
Trends been around, that’s all…

Relax

:lol: First, I’ll speak on what I please so just drop that act

…and what are you trying to gatekeep?

Honestly, I think my use of the word ‘culture’ has you emotional
The discussion was at no point only about what happens on your street

Sure, ASICS and Saucony probably are ‘bricks’ by hypebeast standards.
Uh, “Performance running”…?
Matt Powell? Lmao. Okay, I got you…

I never said everyone had anything, straw man, those only were three examples of common trends a lot of people followed and then abandoned
I mean most of those ‘individuality’ individuals weren’t rocking high top-nothin‘ in glorious ‘97, were they? Would have been unique tho, just saying
Trends been around, that’s all…

Relax

The article that you linked actually contradicts everything you said. Saucony and Asics’ sales plummeted last year, hence why their YOY sales are up. But they still haven’t returned to pre-COVID levels.

Here I've been for 7 yrs thinking I'm the only NASCAR fan on NT :lol:

Had a great time at the race at NHMS on Sunday, even with the rain delay. I go to Daytona every Feb. now for the 500, too.

People don't realize NASCAR has been a part of streetwear for about 20 yrs. NASCAR jackets were everywhere in NYC in the early 2000s - I'd see them almost every time I got on the subway. Hell, Heron Preston built his whole brand off of NASCAR. I wore some metallic red 1s with my Jeff Gordon jacket last winter and had one random dude stop me to tell me it was a "sick fit" lol.
The jackets were always fire but the tees were always trash. I could never find a jacket I wanted in my size when I had money for it.

I really hate that nascar T took off or any vintage T’s I used to rock them so hard before the kids say they cool now.
Summers in Atl hot I was on the T and kicks wave years and years ago. That or tanks.

y’all fail to realize a lot of people can’t dress. Social media assist in this cause now they can just copy and fit in.

in the days before social media u had more dif expressions of style cause you had to figure that ish out urself.

Just like tic tok got a whole generation of suburban kids stealing dance moves from others

Knowing damn well they can’t actually dance or make a dance.

social media just homogenized everything and this is what you get boring corporate Mayo expression that the brand’s control.

welcome to the future I feel bad for the sub 21 year olds y’all lives going to be clout chasing and depressing.

The jackets were always fire but the tees were always trash. I could never find a jacket I wanted in my size when I had money for it.

the shirts were ok and I was able to get them easy there was a nascar lil shop near Atlanta motors speedway it’s gone now and they weren’t expensive.

Never got into jackets thought most of my life I hated jackets of any sort I was hoodie guy.

I really hate that nascar T took off or any vintage T’s I used to rock them so hard before the kids say they cool now.
Summers in Atl hot I was on the T and kicks wave years and years ago. That or tanks.

y’all fail to realize a lot of people can’t dress. Social media assist in this cause now they can just copy and fit in.

in the days before social media u had more dif expressions of style cause you had to figure that ish out urself.

Just like tic tok got a whole generation of suburban kids stealing dance moves from others

Knowing damn well they can’t actually dance or make a dance.

social media just homogenized everything and this is what you get boring corporate Mayo expression that the brand’s control.

welcome to the future I feel bad for the sub 21 year olds y’all lives going to be clout chasing and depressing.
Um, we had MTV and BET and magazines and tv shows. It wasn’t like we didn’t have media - it was just more homogenized. There were less sources of influence when we came up.

I teach in high schools, and I would say there are definitely sheep in that herd, but there’s a lot of kids doing their own thing as well - customizing, altering. Hell, we had a kid start his own screen printing business and another kid his own clothing label making sweatshirts. Come on man, all we had was air brushing! Lol

Closest I'll ever have to Rust Pinks, and way better than the ball sack leather crimson tints. Might be in for a pair.
Man I was so mad when I got those in hand. From all the pictures I thought the "crimson tint" was pink but once I got them in hand they were more of a pale skin color. Sold them at a loss for $150. Terrible

Um, we had MTV and BET and magazines and tv shows. It wasn’t like we didn’t have media - it was just more homogenized. There were less sources of influence when we came up.

I teach in high schools, and I would say there are definitely sheep in that herd, but there’s a lot of kids doing their own thing as well - customizing, altering. Hell, we had a kid start his own screen printing business and another kid his own clothing label making sweatshirts. Come on man, all we had was air brushing! Lol

no one is claiming that there isn’t designers we are saying fashion is more copy paste now.

we had that yes but ease of access the internet makes things more pervasive in fashion.

people on tv wore things and set the culture, but as social influencers on social media and the general fact that people tend to emulate their peers rather than the media. Would show that these social platforms just make people copy what they think is cool.

With people now it’s mostly clout and designer when like many said it was individual fashions. I know up north that was the case. Where I grew up.

so yea the culture is more commercial and homogenized now.

Back
Top Bottom