~Official Big Sean Thread~ Vol. "Dark Sky Paradise" The Album available now

Did DSP meet your expectations

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

this blessed track beat is doing too much. i get that sean is rapping in tripets... but the beat is off rhythm. i feel like its switching between 1/3 and 1/4 tempo. its just too much. and drakes hook is TRASH. but drake been trash for the most part lately anyways...
Is the beat off or just uncommon? Hook is good for parties/crowds
All of this. I make beats so I'm pretty good at pointing out rhythms but this beat just sounds off.

The show was too dope in person. Dude really brought out Kanye and turned it into a mini Ye concert :lol: :smokin

Kazeem Famuyide @RealLifeKaz · 42m 42 minutes ago
Big Sean's album does not disappoint at all. Flame emojis abound. #darkskyparadise

Kazeem Famuyide
‏@RealLifeKaz
The second Kanye/Big Sean record on the album is so crazy. Produced by La Flame

Kazeem Famuyide @RealLifeKaz · 21m 21 minutes ago
Also, the Big Sean/Chris Brown joint got huge potential. Just fire records all around. Probably his best since Detroit. #DarkSkyParadise

LowKeyUHTN
‏@LowKeyUHTN
Hearing Ye and Sean go back and forth on "All Your Fault"

LowKeyUHTN @LowKeyUHTN · 4m 4 minutes ago
Oh and Sean snapppppppped on the extended version of "Ransom" #DarkSkyParadise

Andrew Barber @fakeshoredrive · 53m 53 minutes ago
My two favorite records by far are "All Your Fault" f/ Kanye & produced by @CallMeMano & @OGWebbie. This should be the next single. Monster

Andrew Barber @fakeshoredrive · 51m 51 minutes ago
The other is "Play No Games," @BigSean f/ Breezy & Ty $. Fantastic Guy sample. Very Detroit sounding. Made me wanna get a pair of Buffys

Andrew Barber @fakeshoredrive · 55m 55 minutes ago
Just heard the new @BigSean album 'Dark Sky Paradise.' Very well put together and sequenced. A few HUGE potential singles. Gonna make noise.

Eazee @Eazee · 6m 6 minutes ago
The track Mustard did on Big Sean album with @JheneAiko gettin her bars off tho, mean

LowKeyUHTN @LowKeyUHTN · 17m 17 minutes ago
I don't wanna gas, but Big Sean has some **** on his hands. #DarkSkyParadise

via KTT

The DJBooth (DJ Z) @DJBooth · 43m 43 minutes ago
Thought 1: "Dark Sky Paradise is definitely Sean’s darkest work yet. It is also a more soulfully driven album then its predecessor."

The DJBooth (DJ Z) @DJBooth · 41m 41 minutes ago
Thought 2: "The Kanye and John Legend-assisted "One Man Can Change the World" is the standout track on the album. It's revelatory."

The DJBooth (DJ Z) @DJBooth · 38m 38 minutes ago
Thought 3: "“Blessi

I like Big Sean on the low... he makes some good music.

What I dont like is the amount of industry "support" he gets. I think thats his downfall.

I feel like its hard for fans to really connect with him and when he gets everybody in the industry on his records that have a bigger fanbase than him he ends up getting push to the background.

After listening to some random tracks and a couple randoms off detroit I don't understand the hate. :lol: Ready for this to drop. :pimp:

IMO Big Sean's biggest issue is that people don't recognize how great of a rapper he is. Like, you'll talk about cole, drake, kendrick, wale even, but you won't bring up Big Sean. Why?

Well because the aforementioned all blew up organically while Sean, was thrown in our faces random as hell as someone who was signed to Ye' and Good Music and he's been fighting that ever since. The reason why that's important is because of the fact that sean didn't have that organic come up initially, his come up was diluted a bit. I feel like first singles that a label backs you on is important because that's what people are going to know you as and from My Last, to Dance (***), to all his features that pop, all of his most popular songs are pop songs, and it makes it hard to take someone like that seriously.

Think of it like this. From So Far Gone, To the Warm Up, to Overly Dedicated and Section 80, to singles like Over, Headlines, Lights Please, Swimming Pools, those guys popped off of their rapping ability, not catchy radio records. This is directly correlated to how they were discovered. When you are discovered for your talent and not your movement, the label is only going to support those catchy goofy records. As a result, he's been typecasted as this catchy goofy rapper who makes radio records and not someone like a drake, cole, or kendrick. It's only now that that is starting to change, because of how his montenum has been generated. Songs like 1st quarter, 4th quarter, his features, have done a major help in changing the reputation that Big Sean has.

Keeping it funky, his albums haven't delivered overall. That's why he doesn't get mentioned with the other dudes. And don't say he didn't blow organically. He did. And he got signed off bars, not catchy lines.

If Sean wants to be taken more seriously he needs more songs where he just spits fire from start to finish. By himself. You can't ask people to judge him by himself when all of his best songs are with other people.

I'm rooting for Sean, but he still straddling the fence on whether he wants to be respected or popular.

Keeping it funky, his albums haven't delivered overall. That's why he doesn't get mentioned with the other dudes. And don't say he didn't blow organically. He did. And he got signed off bars, not catchy lines.
This more or less. I liked half of Hall of Fame and after the summer was over I thought FF:The Album was meh. Maybe it's me but he just doesn't seem authentic

Guessing it was because of the timing with the Grammy's but isnt this a bit soon to be having a listening party?

I feel like its hard for fans to really connect with him and when he gets everybody in the industry on his records that have a bigger fanbase than him he ends up getting push to the background.

This. I hate the fact that Drake was on "Blessings".

I also feel like his verse on "Control" was underrated because of Kendrick.

Same with the verse on "All Me".

I agree with the NT'er that said "Big Sean's albums don't deliver overall." That was his problem, most definitely.

Right now is the hottest Sean has ever been buzz wise. Great that his album is dropping in two weeks. Perfect timing cause the man is ablaze and slaying everything he gets on at the moment.

We Heard Big Sean's 'Dark Sky Paradise' And It's Pretty Damn Great

Five things we learned from a first listen of Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise

Scheduled in the midst of Grammy weekend in Los Angeles, the listening event for Big Sean’s Dark Sky Paradise is a hot ticket. Hosted at Soho House LA, the session caps at an exclusive 60 people, reserved for media, music industry folks, Big Sean and his mom, of course. But once you’ve got that golden RSVP—thanks Def Jam!—finding the small, plush theater is the hardest part.

You’ll run into Pharrell and Terrence J, separately, in the parking lot while making your way to the correct tower. (Later, Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill will stroll into the hotel’s restaurant, hand-in-hand). But once you wander into the West Hollywood hotel’s cinema room, Big Sean is the only star holding court. You’ll pick out your own red armchair, kick up your feet on a personal ottoman and set a flute of Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial on your side table, while the G.O.O.D. Music vet introduces his third long-player, seemingly both proud and nervous.

“There are so many emotions in this album,” says the 26-year-old, with a looped video of gloomy clouds and the album title projected on a movie screen behind him. “From rapping about my grandma to different situations I went through, hitting so many low points and high points at the same time.” You feel those ups and downs through the 15-song playlist (including bonus tracks), but Dark Sky Paradise (out Feb. 24) is mostly a brooding affair. In just one listen, it’s clear that Big Sean has finally found the edge—and focus—his discography needed. Here are five early takeaways from the best and most cohesive album of his career. —John Kennedy (@youngJFK)

1. This is Big Sean at his darkest
Sean’s first two LPs, Finally Famous: The Album and Hall of Fame, are both built around vibrant turn-up smoothies, from “My Last” and “High” on the former to “Beware” and “Fire” on the latter. The sonic skies are much greyer here. “I Know,” a lethargic duet with Jhené Aiko, is produced by DJ Mustard yet void of the electro bounce for which he’s become known. An extended version of “Paradise,” originally leaked as a snippet by Sean as part of his four-song drop in September, sounds nothing like its title implies, dragging along with Mike WiLL Made It’s low-register tuba and synth sounds. Even when Sean toasts to prosperity with Drake on “Blessings,” there’s an overcast blocking out the suns rays (“Amen,” Drizzy’s 2012 collabo with Meek Mill, would be it’s musical inverse). Big Sean steps into the dark side and it works.

2. But there are bright spots
Lead single “I Don’t **** With You”—with it’s grade-A pettiness—is easily the most radiant record on DSP. But the clouds clear by closing tracks. Sean uses an optimistic piano key sound bed on “One Man Can Change The World” to eulogize his late grandmother, who passed away in December after having a stroke: “When I die I hope you teach me how to fly/All my life you been that angel in disguise.” It’s warm and genuine and... why are you still reading this? Go call your grandma and tell her you love her!

“Outro” just has that knock. Pounding drums. Light guitar strings. A sliced-up vocal sample. And a hook-free barrage of punchlines, including this clever couplet: “All these singer ******* know me/like do-re-mi/fa-so-la-ti-do, but dough come first, no late fees.” But once the run time elapses, fittingly, the sound of thunder rolls in and fades out.

3. Every guest holds his (or her) own
But there’s no “Control” moment on Dark Sky Paradise. In fact, Sean probably shines brightest on “Blessings” alongside hip-hop’s number one and two, Kanye West and Drake (in no particular order). Still, nothing is phoned in. Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign unite for another anthem (“Play No Games”). Sean trades bars with Kanye on the dope “All Your Fault.” Wayne shows he’s still got it on “Deep” (although his Cash Money shoutout dates the extended verse to sometime pre-Birdman beef). And ever since Detroit’s “I’m Gonna Be,” Sean and Jhené Aiko have been batting 1.000.

4. The deluxe version is worth the extra $
Once you make it to the bonus tracks, the mood lifts. Melodies get a bit lighter. And Sean has some fun. On “Research” he vents about having Robocop for a GF, mocking: “These **** be doing research/I swear, she like, ‘This piece of hair up in the sink ain’t come from me first,’” as his real-life wifey Ariana Grande floats all over the hook. He’s nostalgic on “Platinum & Wood” and the PARTYNEXTDOOR-featured “Deserve It.” The former reminisces on pre-fame high school days while the latter cleverly recalls a tale of a run-in with a woman named Alicia, a top-percentile baddest chick of his graduating class. (Cryptic moral of the story: Everything ain’t for everybody.)

5. This might be Big Sean’s best project to date
Dark Sky Paradise has a conciseness, honesty and confidence to rival his awesome freebie, Detroit. Sean’s unique flow hops on and off the tracks every now and again, but his wordplay is at its wittiest. I’ve only heard the album once, but it’s sounding like Sean’s potential and performance have finally intersected. See for yourself when DSP drops on Feb. 24. And grab the deluxe (see #4)!

http://www.vibe.com/article/preview-big-seans-dark-sky-paradise-album

This. I hate the fact that Drake was on "Blessings".

I also feel like his verse on "Control" was underrated because of Kendrick.

Same with the verse on "All Me".
Dont let the hype fool you, Big Sean had the best verse on Control.

These articles are getting me hyped man.

Back
Top Bottom