Official Childish Gambino (Donald Glover from Community) Thread - Signs multiyear deal w/ Amazon and opts out of FX partnership

giphy.gif

saw the vid a few years ago and forgot the artist and song name but remembered that legendary interlude lmao.

anyone can confirm if the rest of his discography was filled with that much game? this is like player rap talk but before rap exists.

saw the vid a few years ago and forgot the artist and song name but remembered that legendary interlude lmao.

anyone can confirm if the rest of his discography was filled with that much game? this is like player rap talk but before rap exists.
Royalty is the best Gambino project

"We just want to party. Party just for you." and "You just a Black man in this world. You just a barcode." is referencing commercialization of the black experience through black pop culture. I don't think it's only about happy music with chaotic imagery though (but I do think that's a part of it). Some of the music itself is also more in line with "gangster" rap music with the skrt skrt adlibbed "i got the strap" verse. A lot of it is commentating on the black experience being monetized "get your money black man".

The way I interpreted it is that he's taking different forms of black pop culture and the black experience and setting them in this empty warehouse together. There's a lot of different sounds, different imagery, and different dances (MJ nod at the end dancing on top of the car). Letting all of it interact with one another in a disturbing way to see how they all fit in together.

Commentary on capitalism and America as well in a more broader context.

Product and real life being set in the same space. The setting is in a warehouse because they're the products.

S/O to the director Hiro Murai.

That's really good. Props.

Just to add a little bit, I think it has to do with America as a whole in this day and age. I think that lyrically, you're pretty much on point. With the video, in my opinion has to do with what's going on in the world. Folks are too busy looking at the surface material(what's going on in front of you, i.e. Donald rapping and dancing) to see what's going on behind the scenes(rioting, Death riding on a white horse, etc.). We have been bombarded with so many unimportant things going on in the media with Kanye West and his bs(just one example) that we forgot what the real issues are(this guy in the White House breaking rules left and right, Flint STILL not having clean water).

HHmmmmm not lyrically. I enjoy both.
They should really work on a project together. Bino can take care of the sound and hooks. Cole with the lyrics. :pimp:

This ___ told shorty that he didn't shoot her and that "crumbcake" she was with because he didn't want to mess up his coat, and that she's just a squirrel in HIS world trying to get a nut :rofl: :rofl:
That's why it's a CLASSIC

Son was raw on this. Singing the real.

Back
Top Bottom