Official Cleveland Browns 2012-2013 Season Thread (BROWNS FANS COME IN!!!!!)

Cleveland-Browns-first-round-draft-pick-running-back-Trent-Richardson.jpg

Cleveland Browns 2012 Picks

34qa2ro.jpg

Impact pick: OT Mitchell Schwartz (second) -- He has had some back problems, but Schwartz is a good fit in Cleveland's stretch zone-blocking scheme and should get every opportunity to win the right tackle job. He's not an elite athlete, but he takes good angles and uses his hands well, and Schwartz shows enough mobility and strength to get into position and wall defenders off. If all goes well, he will be in the starting lineup in Week 1.

Intriguing pick: Travis Benjamin (fourth) -- On tape, Benjamin appears to be moving at a different speed than everyone else on the field, but he does have very inconsistent hands and lacks ideal size. He also needs to work on his release and will likely need to use motion to get free, but he can stretch the field and make some big plays, and he's also a weapon in the return game. If he doesn't learn how to get off press coverage, Benjamin won't last long, but if he does, he can help open up the offense and take advantage of the space fellow 2012 pick Trent Richardson will open up with his running ability.

Browns Fans Unite!!!
Don't know how many of us are on here but i know there's a few!

Lockout is over and our guys are prepping in Berea as I type this. Ready for a great season!!!

pat-shurmur-cleveland-browns-069ca91ea3521acf.jpg

January 13, 2011
CLEVELAND -- Pat Shurmur quickly turned rookie quarterback Sam Bradford into a rising NFL star. Shurmur's next project will be tougher.

The Cleveland Browns are no easy fix.

Shurmur, St. Louis' offensive coordinator the past two years, was hired by the Browns on Thursday, ending a search for their fifth coach since 1999 that began when team president Mike Holmgren fired Eric Mangini on Jan. 3 after his second straight 11-loss season.

Shurmur isn't a big-name hire, and his addition won't trigger a celebration by Browns fans or a rush of season-ticket requests.

But to Holmgren, the 45-year-old's last name means success.

Shurmur's late uncle, Fritz, was Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Green Bay when the Packers won the Super Bowl in 1996. And in hiring a candidate with no head coaching experience, Holmgren is following the same path he took in getting to the top of his profession.

Like Shurmur, Holmgren was a quarterbacks coach and an offensive coordinator before getting the Packers' job in 1992. When Shurmur, who was the first of three known candidates to be interviewed, sat across the desk from Holmgren, Cleveland's top football executive may have seen a younger version of himself.

113257998_crop_340x234.jpg
9533106-large.jpg

greg-little-flies-bROWNS.jpg

April 30, 2011

As a Browns fan, it is difficult to not be optimistic about all of the picks the team made. General manager Tom Heckert has a great history when it comes to making picks, so even if the guys he takes are not "flashy," they are bound to be solid contributors.

This year's draft cannot be graded without considering what the Browns gained in their first-round trade with the Atlanta Falcons. Come this time next year, we might not think much of the two fourth-round picks the team has, but the two first-round picks will allow the team to add some young talent to build upon whatever progress is made after Pat Shurmur's first year as head coach.

Here is a quick look at each of the Browns' draft picks and how they are expected to contribute this year:

DT Phil Taylor - Big, run-stuffing defensive tackle who will start immediately alongside Ahtyba Rubin to form a massive duo up front. I don't think he was much of a reach since he was projected to go at the end of round one and Cleveland feared someone trading up. (First round)
DE Jabaal Sheard - Cleveland had two spots vacant at defensive end, so Sheard will be another starter from the get go. He was the best-rated defensive end left on the board. (Second round)

WR Greg Little - This might have been one of the favorite picks for Browns fans. He wasn't as big of a name as A.J. Green and Julio Jones because he has a higher chance of being a bust, but it is intriguing that he also has a high chance of being a No. 1 receiver even from the get-go for Cleveland. (Second round)
That was it for day one for the Browns. To get two definite starters and another potential starter means that Cleveland drafted wisely -- they took players at the positions that they were in dire need of help at. What they gained from the first-round trade with Atlanta was the icing on the cake. Because Cleveland didn't get an "absolute stud" like a Patrick Peterson or A.J. Green (which wasn't their fault), the first two days of the draft can be given a solid "B."

Let's take a look at what Cleveland did on the final day in rounds 4-7:

TE Jordan Cameron - I'm not sure you could have found a better place for Cameron than in Cleveland. They already have Ben Watson and Evan Moore as receiving tight ends on the roster, but as we saw with the Patriots last year, multiple tight ends can be used in a deadly fashion. Cameron didn't have much experience but is quick for his size (6-5) and can be a nice target for Colt McCoy in the West Coast Offense. (Fourth round)
FB Owen Marecic - The culture in Cleveland seems to favor having tough players who don't need all the glory, especially on special teams where they have been among the best teams in the league when it comes to coverage. Marecic is expected to contribute heavily on special teams, and if the team doesn't re-sign Lawrence Vickers, they have a replacement fullback. (Fourth round)
CB Buster Skrine - There has been a lack of depth at cornerback for awhile in Cleveland. They got better in depth last year but were still lacking a fourth cornerback, which presented matchup problems against teams that lined up heavy receiver sets. Skrine is known for his speed and will be a wait-and-see guy for Cleveland in terms of how far he can move up the depth chart. (Fifth round)
OT Jason Pinkston - I was surprised to see Pinkston still around this late, so it is another good value pick for the Browns. It is tough to tell whether he'll contribute more at guard or tackle right away, but the Browns took him for his versatility. He will probably be a reserve lineman for guard and tackle in his first year and can fill in for Tony Pashos should he suffer another injury. (Fifth round)
S Eric Hagg - This was the Browns' final draft pick. There is uncertainty of who will start alongside T.J. Ward at safety since Abram Elam is a free agent. If the team doesn't bring Elam back, Hagg could have the opportunity to see some reps back there. You usually don't expect seventh-rounders to start though, so we'll tame our expectations. (Seventh round)
Most people were surprised to see the Browns take a tight end and a fullback in the fourth round, but Heckert said they simply went with the best players available on their draft board. It is a sound strategy, and everyone has a chance to play a role on the team this year based on the players that were let go or are free agents. For these rounds, I think another a "B-" is fitting. Cleveland drafted wisely, but most of their guys are "high potential" players who are not guaranteed to succeed. I know nobody is a guarantee to succeed, but I'm trying to stress how Cleveland really went for "potential" over "proven" more so than other teams.

madden2012%20(350%20x%20441).jpg

May 31, 2011
Star running back Peyton Hillis announced as Madden 2012 cover athlete. - Notice that downtown Cleveland gets some love in the background.
pimp.gif

browns-joe-haden.jpg

July 27th
BEREA — Safety T.J. Ward lifted weights. Cornerback Joe Haden passed his conditioning test with “flying colors.

Been a Raven fan for years but mainly due to the players on the team.

Will forever root for the Browns, though.
EDIT:  just saw I spelled forever wrong. 
sick.gif

I like the Bobcats and went there a few years...

Let's turn that AFCN thread into a trash talk thread

I'm readyyyyyy..

I seen Joe Haden at the Indians game last week, dapped him up like I knew him for years, I don't know why but I respected him for putting his beer down and dapping up a regular guy like myself.
laugh.gif

..dude loves Cleveland as much as I do though, that's for sure.

Anyways, man we got a tough schedule, but we can pull off 8, maybe 9 games - we good.

Damn this thread is a %%!$!+@ joke
sick.gif
SMH...

Just when you thought Browns were looking good. .. Hopefully they respond against thaaaa Raiiiiddddaas

Raiders look good but yea Browns should come out strong hopefully Hillis will be 100% and Colt won't have to throw 60 TIMES
sick.gif

Finally a Thread.....

Dumbest move was not to get Colt any help at WR in the offseason...

Seriously what is up with all these 4 yard weak screen passes, throw the ball down the field a bit...

I say we get Evan Moore in a lot more....maybe play him as a WR tooo and what the hell was up with them not grounding and pounding with Hillis

Back
Top Bottom